What non-Magic shit are you up to?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Tell me about the awesome things that are happening in your life when you're not sitting around a table waiting anxiously with 6 other dudes and wondering if that asshole is going to be late or just not show up at all.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
my brother came over yesterday to play magic, and before we dove in for a grid draft, i booted up skylanders on my xbox to show him the amazing technical wizardry behind the collectible figures. four hours later, we had romped through six levels of co-op, min-maxing all of the characters and discovering their optimal upgrade paths despite the game being deliriously easy, and had left my cube untouched. reminded me of the ninja turtles beat-em-ups for the NES and SNES from back in the day. good times

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
that game was THE BEST. even to this day, i get excited every time i hear a TMNT remake of sorts is coming to xbox live. (and then inevitably get disappointed when i find out it's a crappy nostalgia cash-in).

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm actually prepping for a chrismas holiday binge of World of Warcraft. I used to play back around the second expansion (Burning crusade, for those currently tabbing to wikipedia to follow this conversation) and have a lot of good memories around that area, and the power creep allows you to now do content previously needing 25 people alone (Now that you're 20 levels higher)

They've also implemented a system where you can wear one set of gear for stats, but display another on your character for looks. It's a wonderful nostalgia bomb to have my warrior look like I always wanted him to back in the day, but that fucking shield wouldn't drop.

I'm actually gonna be starting over to play with friends. Should be fun :p

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Man, so many good gigs in London right now, and I am missing them all. I was at Trentemoller lat weekend, supported by Den Sorte Skole (free album this year, definitely my favorite album from this year). Yesterday was Mount Kimbie and today was Submotion Orchestra. I missed them both cuz they were cold out, but next week is Hidden Orchestra, Bonobo (sold out too >:C) and I don't remember what else.

But mostly I'm bored and looking for a job. Learning to DJ.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I was addicted to World of Warcraft (also in the Burning Crusade era, natch) for the better part of seven months. I always tell myself that one day I'll get back into the game, but realistically I know that it will never happen.

Preeeetty sure it's the best co-op game of all time though, and not close.

I need to prep for D&D next weekend. It's mostly done, but need a bit more planning in case/for when the players go somewhere I've not planned for.

Also, Dota.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I was addicted to World of Warcraft (also in the Burning Crusade era, natch) for the better part of seven months. I always tell myself that one day I'll get back into the game, but realistically I know that it will never happen.

Preeeetty sure it's the best co-op game of all time though, and not close.

Yeah, I've given up progression raiding for good, but honestly with how the game progressed it's way easier to play a reasonable ammount, and still have fun and feel like you aren't a filthy casual :p

What did you play? (Also how far did you get in BC? One of my more epic/chilling memories was our realm first of Illidan Stormrage the night before my chem final :p)

im going to a practice session for umvc3 tonight, gonna arrive at at about 5am est. like EVERYBODY in the whole southeast marvel scene is gonna be there and im gonna lose horribly because nobody in my town plays anymore and im mad mad mad rusty. its gonna last until late sunday night. maybe i wont lose every single set i play

http://twitch.tv/sixfortyfive my friend patrick who is picking me up is probably going to stream and im probably going to at least talk on the stream a decent amount because its a thing i do because i suck but i guess people think im good at thinking about the game or something? who knows

Me and my best friend Anne just beat Grim Fandango.

I haven't been out dancing in a while but last month I got to see both my favourite Marcel's (Dettmann and Fengler) during what I might call an October techno binge. I'm sorta over it for the moment though and read to feel the warm embrace of house and disco again, but I have so little motivation to go dancing right now so maybe it's a good time to make like Jason and start getting to know more strange women.

Class has slowed down again, which makes for a nice break but is also kinda maddening. Cannot wait for class to start again, but by then I'll hate it.

I got really sick of the historical fantasy that my friend was recommending to me and I went on a hunt for short SF and history podcasts. Scratching the tip of a 400 episode doozy of a show called Escape Pod and they are currently in their Hugo nominee's mode so I'm having a really good time.

Trying to force myself to read a (non local) article a day, but I was pretty disheartened to find out how partisan Salon.com has gotten since I read it in highschool. Looking for more of people's favourite political and general interest news sources. I Love suggestions.

Trying to motivate my dorks to get some table top RP going because everyone has been moving of late it's a lot better if we have an activity lined up when we hang out. It seems like everyone is much more excited to play with the peasant cube they've been getting together.

I'm also trying to drum up some motivation among my pals to start brewing again. That was pretty rewarding and zany fun.

I feel like I'm not really covering everything but I am absolutely braindead from my run and I feel like I've made everyone read enough bullets for today.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I... wow.

And I thought managing my one fantasy hockey team was a handful.

Yeah, I've given up progression raiding for good, but honestly with how the game progressed it's way easier to play a reasonable ammount, and still have fun and feel like you aren't a filthy casual :p

What did you play? (Also how far did you get in BC? One of my more epic/chilling memories was our realm first of Illidan Stormrage the night before my chem final :p)

I... was a said 'filthy casual'. At a rate of four hours playtime per day - equating to one month of real time over seven months - I had no chance whatsoever of getting into any of the hardcore raiding guilds. I mostly just putzed around and did five mans with pick-up groups, and then leveled up a bunch of alts when I got bored with that.

Jealous that you got to see all of the raid content, and even set a server first!

VibeBox

Contributor
I... wow.

And I thought managing my one fantasy hockey team was a handful.

i listened to a podcast a while back with an interview of a dude with over two hundred teams including many with like 300-500 buyin.
he developed a system for gameday lineup changes (injury game time decisions and such) and waiver wire bids and claims while he was playing like 80 something last year.
must be nice to just take a few months off from your law firm for what you pitched to your wife as "an investment"

similarly, the founder of one of the more successful ffb analyst and advice sites put 50k into a "daily fantasy game" website he's partnered with (you "buy" players for your lineup out of a salary cap for the week) he's blogging about it in a run up to a book, up to about 80k now.
http://50percentds.blogspot.com/

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I... was a said 'filthy casual'. At a rate of four hours playtime per day - equating to one month of real time over seven months - I had no chance whatsoever of getting into any of the hardcore raiding guilds. I mostly just putzed around and did five mans with pick-up groups, and then leveled up a bunch of alts when I got bored with that.

Jealous that you got to see all of the raid content, and even set a server first!

Hey man, don't knock 5 mans. Some of my best memories are in 5 mans, since there's a lot more room for error early on when there's 24 other people to cover your ass. (6 if your a healer, 2 if your a tank :p)

I don't know if you've checked back into the game recently, but cataclysm introduced a feature called LFR, which after you specify your role, groups you for a more easy mode version of the current raid, loot and all. You teleport into the instance, and raid without needing a guild, schedule, or horribly min-max'd characters.
You still need to know some of the fight mechanics, but it's definitely doable. I haven't tried it myself, but I've certainly stopped being the hardcore raider as well.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I went to a free private breadbaking workshop yesterday, which basically involved me and 6 friends baking bread in the living room of some guy's house. I made a big tray of cheesy focaccia, and it really wasn't all that difficult. Perhaps time consuming, but it's amazing how quickly time passes when you're sitting around drinking wine with friends.

A female friend egged me into smoking my second cigarette of my life. I didn't realize how much those things make your hand smell. I washed thoroughly afterwards, but I guess I didn't get my thumb very well and ended up realizing later while eating the aforementioned focaccia.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't been out dancing in a while but last month I got to see both my favourite Marcel's (Dettmann and Fengler) during what I might call an October techno binge. I'm sorta over it for the moment though and read to feel the warm embrace of house and disco again, but I have so little motivation to go dancing right now so maybe it's a good time to make like Jason and start getting to know more strange women.

Strange women are nice, but I'll probably deactivate my account soon. Mainly because I've seen every profile in a 150 mile radius, and haven't initiated any messages in a month. Dates are still happening, but at this point my presence on the site isn't really doing anything.

CML

Contributor
This weekend I was gonna go to a PTQ in Portland, so I charged my friend $275 to pick him up from Vancouver, which made no sense because Canadians are a bunch of impractical looters n moochers, but then I decided not to go. It worked out for everyone: he got a ride down with another friend, and I got drunk with my MTG buddy who'd just returned from Europe and his housemates. Until ~4 AM non-Magic things were discussed incl. how Facebook is gonna take over the world, a grow-op operation that should start up in Pullman, WA (locus of druggies and cheap labor), and tales of community service on the Lummi Reservation (11yo's with knives). It was better than getting up at 6 AM to drive to Portland. That's the rarest and sweetest thing in this game, isn't it? Finding friends that would still be friends if the game were to die?

CML

Contributor
tonight we had a discussion about the seattle "banging women" metagame, wherein it was concluded that since the gender ratio is so skewed and that everyone has some amount of money (software is to blame) that the meta call is to just be classically handsome. anyone help me out here?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
tonight we had a discussion about the seattle "banging women" metagame, wherein it was concluded that since the gender ratio is so skewed and that everyone has some amount of money (software is to blame) that the meta call is to just be classically handsome. anyone help me out here?
You want us to help you become classically handsome?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
but everyone is so good-looking

The problem I have with Tinder is twofold. 1) my social calendar is currently too full, so I wouldn't be able to schedule dates with new girls if I wanted to. 2) I am not terribly inclined to "cold call" these girls. After the bounty of information on OkCupid profiles, messaging someone you know nothing about feels a little strange. Maybe it's not, if you're the type of person to pick up girls at bars, but that's never really been my scene.

It does seem to solve the "dating app" problem for women, which is getting inundated with messages from guys you have no interest in.