What non-Magic shit are you up to?

CML

Contributor
mr darcy, get off your high horse and ride me instead

"fantasy hockey" is an oxymoron

i saw ender's game this weekend and felt its nazism mormonism was well-integrated with its superficiality of metanarrative + "game" shit. who wants a review?!?!

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
All of them, some of them several times. When I was a kid these were my favorite books for a long time. I think we should start a book thread. To the thread machine! wooooooooooooosh!

CML

Contributor
the sequels were astonishingly horrendous

edit: i'll write a review when i have some free time and am 'feeling' it. the gist of one paragraph will be, anyone who has experienced the skinheads of idaho knows the connection between mormonism and fascism

I've been avoiding those books because they seem really popular. Are they as exciting as everyone says?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I've been avoiding those books because they seem really popular. Are they as exciting as everyone says?

If you read them when you were 12 and have the benefit of nostalgia, yes. I had a friend read them fresh as a 30-something and he wasn't so wild about them. But he also hates LSV so take his opinion with a mountain of salt.

Aoret

Developer
I've been spending the hour or two of free time I get each day watching StarCraft 2 tournaments. Current ones, old ones, don't care.

Dealing with severe fatigue due to chronic illness at the moment, so I basically go to work (need to keep having insurance), go home, do something fun while I eat dinner, and then go to sleep. Seems bad!

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I've been spending the hour or two of free time I get each day watching StarCraft 2 tournaments. Current ones, old ones, don't care.

Dealing with severe fatigue due to chronic illness at the moment, so I basically go to work (need to keep having insurance), go home, do something fun while I eat dinner, and then go to sleep. Seems bad!

A gift from yours truly: http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/the-beautiful-videogame

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I read that a few weeks back actually when I saw it linked somewhere else on the forum. Somehow it weirdly coincided with my increased interest in watching the game. An good read and actually it has increased my enjoyment of the game because it deepened my appreciation of stuff like the hidden information == suspense component.

Yeah, I have a few old MLG articles that I whore out over and over.
http://www.majorleaguegaming.com/news/3-keys-to-a-great-competitive-game

CML

Contributor
SC1 was immeasurably better than SC2, which saddens me as i wanna love SC2 a lot

earlier this week i had to get up early for a guild meeting, so i ingested some "phenibut" and am now working on a nice addiction. i hope this one is as rewarding as magic cards. anyone else gone for it? (there's a reddit thread about it, which i assume means i'm in big trouble already)

CML

Contributor
Screen_Shot_2013_11_26_at_1_05_15_AM.png

#winning #bynotthatmuch

CML

Contributor
i torrented "Computer Chess" the other day, hoping for a comedy of some insight and production value. i was disappointed in every regard. mumblecore is horrible

if someone can start calling me the "dumbledore of mumblecore" i would enjoy that

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
So on Sunday night my friend James and I climbed this fucker:
9424315018_8c51e3777f_o.jpg

It was amazing at the top, but the climb was fucking dumb. It might be the dumbest thing I've done in my life, but I guess it shows that our confidence is still less than our skill. Went to bed at 6:30am that night.

Last night was the Imperial College Cinema All Nighter. We watched Enders Game (not worth seeing at all. It neither does justice to or compliments the book. It is bad whether or not you have read it.), Rush (Good.), Captain Philips (Good), Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa (hilarious), Prisoners (that's some heavy shit. Very good) and finally Joss Whedon's Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing, which is pretty impossible to comment on cuz it's Shakespeare. Basically it's a rom-com that you have to concentrate on to understand and we started it at 6:30am. Not ideal. Good to see Nathan Fillion though/ Anyway I went to bed around 9:30 this morning.

Good times! There are finally hints of jobs in the air too!

Wow! What was your climbing technique? Did you go up the side or something? Was it going up?

I had some friends I used to do that sort of thing with in condemned buildings and unfinished condos but I generally try to stick to the insides.
Link to some of that friend's graffitos while we are on this urban exploration bent:
4351731337_810c8f99dd_o.jpg

I've never been much for Graffiti (chalk it up to having gone to art school with all of those people and not liking pot or rap music) but I do love me some streets of rage and 8-16 bit character design.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Man that looks pretty romantic! You should like bring a date or something and some carabiners, belts and like maybe some nice sandwiches and like sparkling water.

VibeBox

Contributor
i actually generally prefer to call it cannabis because it is both accurate and less laden with political baggage and stigma

Man, so many good gigs in London right now, and I am missing them all. I was at Trentemoller lat weekend, supported by Den Sorte Skole (free album this year, definitely my favorite album from this year). Yesterday was Mount Kimbie and today was Submotion Orchestra. I missed them both cuz they were cold out, but next week is Hidden Orchestra, Bonobo (sold out too >:C) and I don't remember what else.

But mostly I'm bored and looking for a job. Learning to DJ.

Well, there's something I didn't expect to see. Denmark represent! Den Sorte Skole is definitely the tits. For people willing to give it a listen, here's a track from their first album which is awesome. Everything they do is sampling of other stuff, which surprisingly works really well. Also, they're on the third album, which is surprising considering the legislative hurdles.