General Silver bordered cards

Hey fellow riptidians!
I was wondering what your take on silver bordered cards in non Un-Cubes is.
I recently got my hands on a few of the xmas promo cards and wondered if anyone plays with them. And I‘d love to add X and Ol‘ Buzzbark as well.
So please help me decide.
I‘d like to hear your feedback if you use any silver bordered cards. But I also would like to know if there are any negative aspects to consider.

Last edited:
i run booster tutor, sword of D&D, and blast from the past. my drafters love tutor and blast, and are ok with the sword, but i may end up cutting it just due to being too low power.
like sigh said, if they help your format, go right ahead and try them! in my case i needed a couple equips and wanted more good cantrips in black and good graveyard-y spells in red.
people generally react positively to the ones that aren’t just bad play experiences wrapped in a mediocre joke.

According to CubeCobra, the most popular ones, in order, are:

To me, these are the big three in a lot of ways. I previously ran all three, and currently don't run any of them, just for space reasons. Booster Tutor is inconvenient relative to the power (though the fun is still there) and is probably not going to be stuck in the on-deck binder forever. The novelty of rolling a D20 for Sword of D&D is kind of lost these days. Blast from the Past is excellent still, but a bit complex for our typical player -- that said, in moments of weakness I will certainly add it back in.

The next slate by popularity:

Again, no surprises here. Only ran Crow Storm of the bunch myself in the past of these three, but I've got an Earl of Squirrel sitting anxiously in my on-deck binder as well, and both are certainly of a high enough power level and interesting in terms of gameplay.

While I'm not sure why folks would run Super-Duper Death Ray post-Ikroia except for the name is funny, but Usman has been a big proponent of GO TO JAIL for years now and has almost convinced me. I currently run Urza, and happily so -- at 720 cards, I don't feel bad having a miser 5-color card, and since Urza's printing, I've been delighted to run him, and have won (and lost!) many games off of the RNG that doesn't feel oppressive or unfair (especially with the mana cost and low loyalty) but is exhilarating and powerful all the same.

Other Silver-bordered cards either myself or one of my friends have run and had good experiences with:

I was incredibly sad to cut Very Cryptic Command but the triple blue pips are something I can really only justify once in my cube.

I've also always wanted to play Hangman but he's just way too wordy to justify.

According to CubeCobra, the most popular ones, in order, are:

To me, these are the big three in a lot of ways. I previously ran all three, and currently don't run any of them, just for space reasons. Booster Tutor is inconvenient relative to the power (though the fun is still there) and is probably not going to be stuck in the on-deck binder forever. The novelty of rolling a D20 for Sword of D&D is kind of lost these days. Blast from the Past is excellent still, but a bit complex for our typical player -- that said, in moments of weakness I will certainly add it back in.

The next slate by popularity:

Again, no surprises here. Only ran Crow Storm of the bunch myself in the past of these three, but I've got an Earl of Squirrel sitting anxiously in my on-deck binder as well, and both are certainly of a high enough power level and interesting in terms of gameplay.

While I'm not sure why folks would run Super-Duper Death Ray post-Ikroia except for the name is funny, but Usman has been a big proponent of GO TO JAIL for years now and has almost convinced me. I currently run Urza, and happily so -- at 720 cards, I don't feel bad having a miser 5-color card, and since Urza's printing, I've been delighted to run him, and have won (and lost!) many games off of the RNG that doesn't feel oppressive or unfair (especially with the mana cost and low loyalty) but is exhilarating and powerful all the same.

Other Silver-bordered cards either myself or one of my friends have run and had good experiences with:

I was incredibly sad to cut Very Cryptic Command but the triple blue pips are something I can really only justify once in my cube.

I've also always wanted to play Hangman but he's just way too wordy to justify.
Thanks! A lot of cool ideas there!

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

Woah, woah, woah. Easy there! This is not a cute card! You are going to steal their untap, upkeep, and draw step the first time this enters, and if you have any blink shenanigans in your cube, this will quickly go from super strong to super frustrating.

I took it out because it was too powerful for sure, but we never had enough blink to make it oppressively so. I think some environments can make it work, it's just a matter of how interesting that effect is to you.

Quick question about Booster Tutor. Do you have sealed Boosters available? Or do you hand out another pack of your cube?

Quick question about Booster Tutor. Do you have sealed Boosters available? Or do you hand out another pack of your cube?
current state: i run a little more than is drafted and use that. but i’m working toward…
future state: i have a nice chunky set of different-sleeved “boosters” that the caster can grab so that things stay fresh every time Booster Tutor is cast.

At 680 cards, there is always a lot of cube left over after the draft, so Booster Tutor packs from these stay fresh and unpredictable enough. I think one card isn't worth the effort of crafting an extra pool or even buy packs regularly.

More or Less is the cheese whiz of janky fun crap that probably shouldn't be in your cube, but now that you have it you can't live without it.
It bounces back and forth between my "Occassionals" and my includes because it's either
1. a 1 damage ping or preventer
2. a high tide if you have certain mana ramp
3. Sort of copy target choose one spell or other ability (or counter it) (Modal instant or sorcery spells probably don’t work, but this is silver border sooooo)
4. Double damage for cards like Syr Konrad, the Grim, Bastion of Remembrance, and Makeshift Munitions
5. Reveillark jank
6. Hero jank

So keep far away from Chromatic Lantern, and Staying Power
But it's great fun with Triskaidekaphobia and Hidetsugu's second rite
It's gotten even jankier if you even consider rolling D20s and you want a card that counters a spell based on whether they roll a 1, 9, 10, 19, 20, or whatever. That's a 15-25% chance of countering target d20 spell :marofl:I love the possibilities with Reckless Endeavor though.
But if you want the actual power 9 of silver-border, it probably includes magical hacker

Oh I made this almost exact post a year ago, whoops

Last edited:
I've thought about him. Isn't last strike a really, really big drawback?
Yes. I created exactly the same keyword in my first custom cube in 2012. Also named last strike. All the cards with last strike were a bit pushed but I ended up realizing they were all super bad.

At 4/4 Extremely Slow Zombie would be decent enough in my opinion. But even then it could not attack into two 2/2’s because they would just double block and normal strike the zombie out before last strike damage happens.

Last edited:
Does anyone have experience with the Christmas promos? Which are worthwhile running? I could get my hands on a

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone have experience with the Christmas promos? Which are worthwhile running? I could get my hands on a
A card I would never run. It’s a joke that isn’t funny (haha you can regenerate it by eating food) but do you actually want a creature that can’t die? And the random effect will take forever because you have to assign a method every upkeep and perform that method. Finally the creature seems too pushed. Growing until it can get exiled. Only in super fast-paced cubes will it be slow enough to be fair.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Whether the joke on Yule Ooze is funny or not is entirely subjective, and I don't think the card is pushed at all. Depending on the board, it could start eating your own stuff, which is definitely not optimal, and there are plenty of removal spells that can power through regeneration (like exile effects), plus regenerating costs a hefty two mana. It's multicolored as well, which also makes it harder to cast. In general, I would expect a card like Thrun, the Last Troll to be a lot more obnoxious. Velrun's got a fair point about the random choice you have to make during each of your upkeeps though. That can be annoying indeed, especially when the number of permanents started growing to a number larger than the largest die you've got... Personally, I don't think I would run the card, but if you like collecting these kinds of cards, it's probably never gettimg a reprint, so I wouldn't bet on it becoming cheaper. Unless... they one day print a collector's set with every holiday themed card in it, of course.

A card I would never run. It’s a joke that isn’t funny (haha you can regenerate it by eating food) but do you actually want a creature that can’t die? And the random effect will take forever because you have to assign a method every upkeep and perform that method. Finally the creature seems too pushed. Growing until it can get exiled. Only in super fast-paced cubes will it be slow enough to be fair.
it’s a 1/1 for 4, so i wouldn’t call it super powerful… but yeah this card is just a total pain in the rumpus to resolve both the growth and the regeneration. would not recommend