General Silver bordered cards

I love them! I think that not enough people play with cards like those, the mystery booster test cards and the conspiracy stuff. I think that even in a "traditional" cube they could be easily played, it could be interesting to see what are the most fun and what are completely broken

if we’re talking mystery booster cards there’s actually several that are very cool. Zyym, Innocuous Insect, Lazier Goblin, Bombardment, plus some others depending on power level.
Conspiracies are mega unfair broken tho

if we’re talking mystery booster cards there’s actually several that are very cool. Zyym, Innocuous Insect, Lazier Goblin, Bombardment, plus some others depending on power level.
Conspiracies are mega unfair broken tho
I‘d like to try the one, which makes damage use the stack again. That were fun times…

Yeah okay it might not be super powerful because it starts as a 1/1 and can only really be cast if opponent has more permanents to eat. Withdrawn!

The rest of my point still stands. I don’t think it’s funny (and I did say that ‘I’ did not want to run it). And each upkeep will be daunting.

I've always been intrigued by

In summer it's a Hulking Bugbear, nice for aggro. In autumn it's just a realy beefy 3-drop for aggro and midrange. In winter it becomes a synergy piece for lifegain and blink strategies, but still a solid card for every deck. And in spring it still comes with etb value but now generates card advantage and works with greens land strategies.

I run it and I like it. It doesn’t do much but it never really feels like an Un-card as well. It is just a simple card, always.

I would not run it in a tight 360 cube though.

The real question is whether or not you draft your cube often enough for people to notice the changing seasons. It's like how Elvish House Party can "randomly" either be really weak or really beefy.

---

By Gnome Means seems like it'd be pretty interesting, if only because of Ikoria adding keyword counters to the game. I also think that a lot of the Unstable cards that care about die rolls could potentially be interesting with the AFR die roll cards — especially something like Snickering Squirrel or Socketed Sprocketer.

I wonder how enjoyable any of this trio would be?

While I was "researching" this post, I got a hankering to build a The Cinematic Pheonix EDH deck. It won't happen, probably, but still.

The real question is whether or not you draft your cube often enough for people to notice the changing seasons. It's like how Elvish House Party can "randomly" either be really weak or really beefy.

Well, Elvish-House party ranges from unplayable to... something, but the range is huge. Spirit of the Season's power level doesn't vary that much with the season, and it's more of a difference in terms of what decks it is good in and good against. The card's just super resonant to me (maybe autumn could be more interesting?) and I might add it to my cube!

I don't think draft frequency is a big deal. If a season is "skipped", nothing really happens - you just see the effects out of order.

Phrases that might have never been said before:
I would run this card in a temperate climate. Recently living in a temperate climate has given me an appreciation of how seasons affect everything and feel really different, so the design is quite beautiful.

More or Less is the cheese whiz of janky fun crap that probably shouldn't be in your cube, but now that you have it you can't live without it.
It bounces back and forth between my "Occassionals" and my includes because it's either
3. Sort of copy target choose one spell or other ability (or counter it)
You were doing a good job of selling me on the card until you raised the expectation that people would be using it to try and retroactively add modes and targets to spells on the stack, which made me realize I really don't want to have to make rulings for this nonsense.

Am I wrong, or it doesn't work with charms and modal spells since you choose the modes as you cast them? The only one that should work is Intuition I think, because the number of cards is something that can be changed after the spell is on the stack

After spending much too long researching, my conclusion is: likely not, but I know for certain it works with cards like Charming Prince since you choose when they enter the battlefield, not on the stack. And More or Less says “spells” not instant or sorcery.
So for me I think I would house rule it to be allowed since it makes it confusing to players that creatures work, but instant and sorcery spells don’t, but I’m sure there’s reasons for it ;)
I’m also unclear now if curtains’ call fizzles if there’s exactly two creatures on the battlefield and then I tell it to look for three. My thought is yes that works because the targets are checked to be legal twice, but it gets wonky because it’s like, “do you check for the original targets, or now based off of the text do you look for three?? And why should I care because I don’t even run any cards like that??”

These are deep philosophical questions that keep me up at night. :snappy:

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Breath of Ashuza

UnOrthodox suppliment: Legal
Card Name: Breath of Ashuza
Mana Cost: {1}{R}
Converted Mana Cost: 2
Types: Sorcery
Rules Text: For each creature on the battlefield, roll a three-sided die, decreasing the result by 1; Breath of Ashuza deals damage to it equal to the result.

Oh man you use Betrayal at House on the Hill dice for this one! :p (0-1-2)

Has anyone ever tested her in a "normal" cube? If your 5-drops are okay to need to untap with, she seems pretty decent.

Has anyone ever tested her in a "normal" cube? If your 5-drops are okay to need to untap with, she seems pretty decent.
I have added her to my list, but not tried her out yet. Our next scheduled game is next Week. Maybe I can tell you how she performed then.

I love Grusilda, and she's definitely strong. You get a free build-a-baneslayer every turn, no cards needed, and you can even take from other players' graveyards. You need to have appropriate removal to make her viable, but she's so much fun. Cannot recommend highly enough.

It's worth noting that she works a lot better on paper than online.

albeit with errata so it only affects you, because otherwise it'd be hilariously symmetric given my love of shiny objects (and just like on Magic Online, foil cards make foil tokens)