General Custom Cards: The Lab

@ravnic
I promise you that both you and your players will LOVE the fact that players keep getting new cards between rounds. It creates such fun tournaments!
This is a thing I want to do since long time ago, but I never found the correct balance of number of cards to be satisfied with and to try to do it really

This is a thing I want to do since long time ago, but I never found the correct balance of number of cards to be satisfied with and to try to do it really
I have tried several different variants and they honestly have all been a succes. Everyone loved to play the format. I also like how Ravnic is going to do it: Start with a small number and slowly let that number grow. Our latest version do it the opposite. We start big and then slowly gain fewer and fewer cards but also better and better cards. The idea is to keep the excitement up at all point in time. And even if someone gets better cards in the start, they can’t be sure to still have the best cards later.

My advice would be to simply try it out and see how the player base react.

There are downsides to this kind of tournament as well as upsides. It is a lot more difficult to get themes to work, your cube needs to be larger and you are losing out on the draft portion of the game, which is something I really like. You can always do a mix of both drafting and getting new cards between games.

Last edited:
I was looking for a way to have very in flavor decks being played, but still keep some aspects of limited. That's the best solution I've found so far and I am very excited to try it out :)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Random idea:

-->
--> Burley-man Strong Time.png

Maul does also give first strike, so maybe this deserves another keyword, but maybe not. Gut feeling is trample (the obvious choice) would be a bit over the top?

Random idea:

-->
--> View attachment 5092

Maul does also give first strike, so maybe this deserves another keyword, but maybe not. Gut feeling is trample (the obvious choice) would be a bit over the top?
Maul gives first strike AND FLYING and is still a hard sell at high power due to the crazy equip cost after your first holder dies.
Embercleave costs about the same amount of mana in practice and gives double strike and trample, and has the same problem as Maul…

Yeh Embercleave can be a surprise OHKO, but infrequently enough that I haven't categorized it as GRBS yet personally. Maul is powerful and I've found the re-equip to be fine. It turns the creature into a battlecruiser basically instantly, so it's usually worth it.

Just want to give a heads up that if you like making custom cards and don't hate antiquated forum software, we are hosting our annual big design contest over at nogoblinsallowed. For some background, we're a community mostly made up of card designers and flavor nerd refugees from 2013 when WotC nuked their official forums, but we don't get a lot of new blood (unsurprisingly) and I'm dead tired of grading the designs of the dwindling pool of the same people who haven't managed to win the contest yet, so I'm desperate for some new blood.

Also from a really pedantic argument we got into on my cube discord, it's possible the rules actually only allow for transform cards if at least one half of the card is a permanent. No judge has weighed in yet, and as far as I can find it's not forbidden, just not mentioned.
I'm pretty sure it has to be a permanent.

I think the solution is to bastardize Enchantments rather than bastardizing Disturb.

Seal of Extortion B
Enchantment
Sacrifice Seal of Extortion: Blackmail. Activate only as a sorcery.
Disturb - Sac a creature
___
Cabal Racketeering
Enchantment
EDIT Exile Cabal Racketeering: Therapy. Activate only as a sorcery.

You could put a "When ~ enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice it. If you do, -effect-." if the ability to leave it sitting around seems problematic.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm pretty sure it has to be a permanent.
I really don't think it has to be. I mean, sure, the official rules specifically talk only about permanents transforming, but Startled Awake still exists. There also isn't any reason the rules couldn't be rewritten to allow for transforming instants/sorceries, so for a custom card I think this is fair game (despite the fact that I think aftermath is a better solution). Really, the question we should ask ourselves here is this; what does it mean for a transformed card to be an instant or sorcery? Up until Innistrad: Midnight Hunt, the answer was "nothing". Transformed cards could only live on the battlefield, not on the stack. MID changed that though! Disturb allows you to put transformed cards directly onto the stack, and thus a valid use case for cards transforming into a non-permanent spell was born.

Edit: Good on you for moving this discussion, by the way :D

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Can't you just make the "back half" a pay a cost and exile this effect? Not to take away the rules artistry going on with this custom already lol.

Like this:

Seems like it would take about the same rules text as the current front side (a tad more) once you take away the disturb reminder text. and single sided card >> double sided card.

Edit: Sorry Brad for dragging this back here. I saw this thread first...
No worries! We can keep this discussion going in two different threads to confuse potential new Riptiders! :D

A (small?) downside of doing it the Geistblast way is that you lose out on story through the art that no longer fits. I added the flavor text, but this makes the font rather small. Additionally, because there is no mana cost involved in the secondary cost, it isn't immediately obvious that it does something from the graveyard.

I tried turning it into an aftermath card as well, but that just doesn't look as clean because of the alternate casting cost that doesn't involve paying mana. Anyway, here's a bunch of examples. Judge for yourself! (I included the original disturb version as well, for reference.)

Confine to Madness2.jpg Confine to Insanity.jpg
Incarcerate - Confine to Madness.jpg

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Personally, I dislike the old border, but one upside it has is that you can use the tombstone icon to denote cards that have a use in the graveyard. So, for anyone interested, here's three versions of Confine to Madness in the old frame; version one has the old wording that was in use around Odyssey block (no room for flavor text there), the other two have the modern wording, one without, and one with (@Chris Taylor's) flavor text.

Confine to Madness.jpg Confine to Madness2.jpg Confine to Madness 3.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I think that is the best way to go about this.
Shame it's not a spell cast on the "Flashback"

Also to just head off the feel bad at the pass, I figure I'll change the cabal therapy line to "Choose a nonland card name. Target player reveals their hand and discards A card with that name."
Just so you can't get 2 for 1'd by drawing your cards in the wrong order.

Edit: oh shit we need to make the "flashback" sorcery only as well

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Edit: oh shit we need to make the "flashback" sorcery only as well
Good catch. That does make this variant more unwieldy. Damn, the more I think about it, the cleaner the disturb variant looks, except that it uses two card faces :rolleyes: I gave the aftermath version a rework. It's a bit weird, but to me the back part of the spell looks better without the mana cost. I think Confine to Madness is a better name than Confine (to) Insanity, but Madness as a card name just doesn't feel right when there's a mechanic with the same name that has nothing to do with this card. The spacing in the card text of Confine to Madness is a bit weird, but that's MSE's doing :/

Confine to Madness.jpg Confine to Insanity.jpg

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I've been updating my customs most of tonight and damn, I just have to give another shoutout card conjurer

Like compare:
1632273395240.png
uoUTX2h.png

I (to this day) haven't been able to find an extended art template for MSE, and I love that somehow I missed the opportunity to show more of this art.
Now I just have to convert my set symbol into an image format...

The name is oddly high. Not sure if it works like MSE where you can change that in the files.

Flavor text needs a period after Wait. and a quotation at the front.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
The name is oddly high. Not sure if it works like MSE where you can change that in the files.

Flavor text needs a period after Wait. and a quotation at the front.
Oh shoot good catch.
This happens when you hit enter after the card name.
Let me fix that

1632276618024.png
08VQgyV.png