General "Looking for a card"-Thread

But it has the downside that the rules dictate that each player in the tournament has to keep their graveyard in chronological order at all points in time during the tournament. To me that’s an absolute no go no matter how interesting a card might be.
But not changing your graveyard order is mandatory. Or do you run cards which return something from your graveyard at random?
That‘s the only instance where I saw a player change graveyard order of cards.
I don’t get your point. It‘s only a problem if you don’t follow the rules of Magic.

But it has the downside that the rules dictate that each player in the tournament has to keep their graveyard in chronological order at all points in time during the tournament. To me that’s an absolute no go no matter how interesting a card might be.
Sharpie it to target creature?

But not changing your graveyard order is mandatory. Or do you run cards which return something from your graveyard at random?
That‘s the only instance where I saw a player change graveyard order of cards.
I don’t get your point. It‘s only a problem if you don’t follow the rules of Magic.
The rules of Magic

3.14 Graveyard Order
“In formats involving only cards from Urza’s Saga™ and later, players may change the order of their graveyard at any time. A player may not change the order of an opponent’s graveyard.”

In practice, if you don’t include any cards with GY order matter, then the format won’t care. But as soon as you do, everyone has to care.

Last edited:
I personally think the Reclamation is totally fine. That three card loop is very unoffensive. If I were to change it up for your format ravnic, I might go with

which helps black enable madness and usually self-limits looping because you run out of fodder creatures in hand (unless you just want to flip between two creatures a bunch of times?)

The rules of Magic

3.14 Graveyard Order
“In formats involving only cards from Urza’s Saga™ and later, players may change the order of their graveyard at any time. A player may not change the order of an opponent’s graveyard.”

In practice, if you don’t include any cards with GY order matter, then the format won’t care. But as soon as you do, everyone has to care.
I don’t know where you get that rule from. That’s what I found in the comprehensive rules:

404.2 Each graveyard is kept in a single face-up pile. A player can examine the cards in any graveyard at any time but normally can’t change their order. Additional rules applying to sanctioned tournaments may allow a player to change the order of cards in their graveyard.

(it's actually rule 3.15) It's from the Magic Tournament Rules; a reference from the part about the "additional rules applying to sanctioned tournaments".

So there are different tournament rules and comprehensive rules? Oh wow. What a mess. Maybe I should start playing Yu Gi Oh! Or Advanced Squad Leader…
(Actually I played both of these games and their rules are… quite something…)

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
There's separate rules for playing the game (for stuff like how certain mechanics work, which phases there are in a turn, and how certain effect interact, etc) and for organizing tournaments (which includes guidelines for handing out penalties for infractions, tournament types, deck construction rules for various formats, etc). Pretty organized, how is that a mess?

There's separate rules for playing the game (for stuff like how certain mechanics work, which phases there are in a turn, and how certain effect interact, etc) and for organizing tournaments (which includes guidelines for handing out penalties for infractions, tournament types, deck construction rules for various formats, etc). Pretty organized, how is that a mess?
Handling the graveyard in two different ways isn’t a mess?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Handling the graveyard in two different ways isn’t a mess?
There is only one way to handle graveyard order per the rules, the tournament rules just say you can ignore those rules in tournaments where only cards from Urza's Saga and newer sets are allowed. The reason is that they stopped printing cards that care about graveyard order. Compare, for example, Ashen Ghoul (old card) versus Nether Spirit ("new" card). So, this tournament-specific rule just saves judges (and players) the trouble of having to adhere to an irrelevant rule.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
No. Not any more messy than all other rules. I am very surprised that this is news to you.
I still wouldn't call Magic's rules messy. They are very complex, yes, but also very complete and very concise. Most complex games have some number of corner cases that aren't covered by the rules. Magic doesn't. It's all in there.

I still wouldn't call Magic's rules messy. They are very complex, yes, but also very complete and very concise. Most complex games have some number of corner cases that aren't covered by the rules. Magic doesn't. It's all in there.
I wouldn’t call them messy either. In fact I didn’t call them messy. If I somehow gave out the expression that I thought the rules were messy, then it is my bad because that is not how I feel.

And you probably know that about me.

Has anyone any kind of experience with this thing? What decks want it? Reanimator, Ramp, Artifacts? Is it good, or rather, consistent enough to be a cool inclusion? I can imagine that it can be sick when reanimated or ramped out, and repeatable discard outlets like Wild Mongrel should be a cool way to make it pop. Also, as a 4/4 flier, it's probably never horrible when you topdeck it later when your opponent is out of cards in hand?

what design gap are you looking to fill with this? ramp, reanimator, and artifacts all have a lot of options with similar bodies that are more likely to actually do something