General CBS

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Good

Do you know how to locate each of the Secret Lair Basic lands from each other? Most of them don’t have pictures. Usually I find the page absolutely perfect but this is a small issue I think.
Okay... hear me out. I looked into it, and I think MCM has future versions of the basic lands up. If you look at, for example, the Secret Lair Drop Forests in MCM, you'll see that there are no copies available for the collector's numbers 574 through 579. These are the Forests that lack art as well. All of the other Forests, including cn 572 and 573, do have art. If you look at the SLD Forests in Scryfall, there are no SLD Forests for collector numbers 574 through 579, whereas there exists a Scryfall entry for, e.g., collector number 573.

@Onderzeeboot
That makes sense. It’s a great feature that all future cards are also included in there. Just a little weird they don’t have the pictures.

Let’s take three examplss that I am looking for:

Dracula Swamp, release date April 22, 2022:
https://scryfall.com/card/sld/361/swamp

Dracula Mountain, April 22, 2022:
https://scryfall.com/card/sld/362/mountain

PixelSnowLands.jpg Forest, April 22, 2022:
https://scryfall.com/card/sld/329/snow-covered-forest

Should I look for collector’s number?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
@Onderzeeboot
That makes sense. It’s a great feature that all future cards are also included in there. Just a little weird they don’t have the pictures.

Let’s take three examplss that I am looking for:

Dracula Swamp, release date April 22, 2022:
https://scryfall.com/card/sld/361/swamp

Dracula Mountain, April 22, 2022:
https://scryfall.com/card/sld/362/mountain

PixelSnowLands.jpg Forest, April 22, 2022:
https://scryfall.com/card/sld/329/snow-covered-forest

Should I look for collector’s number?
Yeah, the easiest is to use this link (which shows all available cards from Secret Lair Drops with the land rarity, in alphabetical order), then search for the correct collector's number. The lands you are looking for aren't yet available though, it seems, probably since we're more than three months away from their release.

Let’s take the Swamps as an example. There are three without pictures. I know one of them is the Phyrexian Swamp because some of the sellers have commented that it’s the Phyrexian Basic. Do we know what the other two are?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Let’s take the Swamps as an example. There are three without pictures. I know one of them is the Phyrexian Swamp because some of the sellers have commented that it’s the Phyrexian Basic. Do we know what the other two are?
You have to do a bit of reverse image search in Scryfall, but yes, you can find out... mostly. The number in the Number column is the collector's number. You can search for collector's number in Scryfall by using 'cn'. So, if we take the three Swamps without card art as an example, we could search for 'Swamp cn:560', 'Swamp cn:556', and 'Swamp cn:559' respectively. Interestingly, the last one doesn't exist in Scryfall (yet?).

The kids at work play with traditional MtG rules sometimes, but they mostly play a format they call "Mana Drop." The rules are that you can play as many lands per turn as you want and you always have seven cards in hand. I tried to explain that an X spell and 59 lands ruins this format, but they disagreed. I made something to bring with me tomorrow...

2 counterspell
1 negate
1 into the roil
1 blink of an eye
2 fireball
43 island
10 mountain

I haven't seen these particular kids in a while and still hope to get some Jumpstarts together for them someday, but this will teach them a valuable lesson. Lol.

I'll probably go toss together some mono black aggro from the cube once they learn this format is severely flawed so that we can still play. One of the kids plays Yu-Gi-Oh, though, so I'm packing the draft for that, as it's fairly inexpensive, anyways. Probably do a little sealed pool.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'll probably go toss together some mono black aggro from the cube once they learn this format is severely flawed so that we can still play.
Assuming you still get invited to play after the "fireball incident" :p

Where's your Elixir of Immortality to keep going forever, by the way?

Edit: Also, how good is Treasure Hunt in this format? I think you can get a little bit more creative than this ;)

Edit 2:
4 Mountain
48 Island
1 Comet Storm
4 Treasure Hunt
1 Elixir of Immortality
2 Thwart

Something like that?

Last edited:
Assuming you still get invited to play after the "fireball incident" :p
I'm hoping this ends the rule set lmao.
Where's your Elixir of Immortality to keep going forever, by the way?
If he has 6 counterspells ready for my only turn... He can have it. They run normal ass decks that don't attempt to abuse the rules at all. I considered some other options, but finding two X spells in my box of shit cards was good enough for me. I'd prefer to run UB Corrupt, but this cube owner only has one of most things and I wanted a backup kill spell.
Edit: Also, how good is Treasure Hunt in this format? I think you can get a little bit more creative than this ;)
Not good at all. You have Treasure Hunt as a passive ability because playing a land/card lets you draw a card. Just don't play so many lands that you deck out, throw Fireball for 20+ with triple counter backup.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Not good at all. You have Treasure Hunt as a passive ability because playing a land/card lets you draw a card. Just don't play so many lands that you deck out, throw Fireball for 20+ with triple counter backup.
Oh, you replace a card as soon as it gets played if your hand size is below 7 after playing the card? Kekw!

1 Turnabout (infinite mana)
2 Elixir of Immortality (infinite life, two because you need to hit one before decking yourself)
1 Comet Storm (infinite damage)
4 Thwart (no)
4 Archeological Dig (sac and shuffle back so you don't deck yourself, also infinite mana)
4 Crystal Vein (surely we want 8 of these because our hand size is 7)
34 Island (we don't even need Mountains, since Dig gives us access to the two red mana we need to kill everyone)

Forbid is also really nasty. Temple of the False God is solid but felt like I won't need it tomorrow.

The format's not hard to break as is. One kid plays some sort of "you can't lose" effect plus a "no max hand size" effect because they always draw to max hand size, so that allows him to draw his entire deck. That's as far as they've abused it.

Format requires Force of ___ to have turn one interaction lol.

I tried to encourage they draw until they have 7 cards in hand at draw step, but they said no. That could actually be sort of interesting because it isn't all turn one kills.

Sure, I can think of several off the top of my head.

First, it's interesting to see these unintended consequences, and will likely help them explore things they never even considered. There'll probably be outrage at this unfair deck, but I bet that at least one of the kids is going to think that this is the coolest thing ever, so I see this as helping people try new things.

Second, it's a good lesson in carefully constructing rules. It's definitely a little mean-spirited to do so in this way, but that's just life. Someone is always going to find a way to break the spirit of the law. (Okay, not ALWAYS always, but this happens a lot.)

Third, given that someone is eventually going to bring in a 'killer deck,' it's better that the adult does it rather than another kid--while it might never happen, if Jane brought in one of these killer decks there could be a lot of squabbling, whereas when Brad does it he's the adult in the room and so can be the "raid boss" without messing up the social scene. This also puts all of the kids on an even footing when it comes to breaking hearts (as in the suit in the game hearts, lol) in this way.

Finally, it's a fun challenge for us/Brad, and that's part of what Magic is about. Do I completely agree that it should be put into practice? Maybe not--maybe a Lost In The Woods deck is enough for a first step rather than a T1 kill to encourage kids to think beyond the Enormous Baloth box--but there's a long history here of trying to break this system and if they keep playing Magic then they WILL run into people doing stuff like this.

There's no intrinsic "life reason" you have to ever be mean spirited when teaching someone. The world isn't cruel, we are just brainwashed into thinking that. As you yourself mention, you can bring a deck that "exploits" the rules in any number of ways that isn't "insta-kill all of them T1". But again, I don't see the point in doing this. "I think you should change the rules you kids are using to have your fun because I personally think they aren't great". Eh?

It's never a "given" that someone will bring in a killer deck. I mean, in this case, brad will be bringing one in because "teaching moment"? But there's nothing I see from how the group is described that says they will do that. And if one does that, it offers an opportunity for them to enforce balance or alter the rules themselves, AKA:

I don't see why "it's better an adult does this". Kids can't figure things out among themselves? This is the bedrock of how kids learn to handle social interactions, deal with conflict, etc.

Yeah, but that's precisely the idea--give them a very short window to win in because it sounds like they aren't even playing instant speed removal. If you're up against Craw Wurm.dec, then you probably want to make the jump a little smaller than going straight to a T0 win.

Plus, Battle of Wits is just so satisfying. Any 10-year-old worth their salt is going to love seeing someone slap down a 300-card monstrosity.