General (NEO) Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty Testing/Includes Thread

This is a testing/includes thread. Post pictures or a text list using /c with what cards you plan to include and what cards you plan to test.

Including:

Including if I include Artifact Pile:

Including if I Open:

Testing/Testing if I Open:

This set is really good. Like, really good. We're talking Throne of Eldraine without the broken cards levels of good. There are some weird cards and wordy cards, but that is more than made up for by the fact that there is a ton of great support for several popular archetypes including Artifacts, Enchantress, and Ninjas. With Invoke the Ancients they literally just said "let's make Two Siege Rhinos for only a little more than the price of one."

Normally I'd try to write a reflection on the previews, but I don't have anything to say beyond this set looks like fun and a blast to play.

What are your plans for this set?

Last edited:

landofMordor

Administrator
What are your plans for this set?
Endlessly complain about it for the next decade or so I imagine.

uh, let's see
Probably
some ninjas, idk which
Lizard Blades: A solid package of archetype exploration tutorable with Stoneforge Mystic.
Voltage Surge: I think I'm more interested in this than Galvanic Blast.
Colossal Skyturtle: I was going to say I like this better than Waker of Waves as self-enabling reanimation target, but I have apparently cut that. Either way, being able to use it in two different colors, for different purposes, and being both a creature and an enchantment gives it a lot of room to be played around with.
Eater of Virtue: Bonesplitter but marginally interesting.
Containment Construct: Colorless build-around.
Touch the Spirit Realm: There's a limit to how many O-rings I want, but this is probably one of them. Modality is as always cool.
March of Otherworldy Light: Flexible removal that is both instant and doesn't need significant splashing. Funny with Vial Smasher.
March of Reckless Joy: Kind of a red tutor, kind of a 1-mana Thrill of Possibility, and also kind of funny with Vial Smasher.

Possibly
Soul Transfer: Sort of the build-around removal I enjoy, but it's also sorcery which I don't like.
Tatsunari, Toad Rider: I like the low commitment needed, and possible sequencing decisions of sandbagging enchantments to respawn the frog instead of draining life.
Mindlink Mech: I wish I could like this, but looking at my list it's actually kind of disappointing how little synergy it has.
Mukotai Soulripper: If I ever want an artifact/aristocrat crossover I guess I have this guy.
Kami of Transcience: I don't think this makes the cut, but it's probably the most appealing enchantment build-around in the set outside of the frog man.
Dockside Chef: I like that you can grab it with ranger of eos and his captain, I don't like that he's very randomly an enchantment and I wish the mana cost was a tap ability instead.
Rabbit Battery: Fairly high chance it takes the slot over a red 1-drop.
Discover the Impossible: It's a neat card, but there's so many blue cards like this it's hard to choose which ones.
Mnemonic Sphere: It's a neat card, but there's so many blue cards like this it's hard to choose which ones.
Twinshot Sniper: I'm pretty reserved when it comes to etb creatures, I don't think he edges out the current 4s.
Experimental Synthesizer: Cute little synergy-piece.

Last edited:
Oh my god, this set is like candy. It's so sweet. Maybe it's just because I'm a huge weeb.

en_DXNYoPXQL1.png
en_g3D2htqoQa.png
en_UJRB7e6nzx.png
en_CijmeqV7fv.png
en_4we6pokk7m.png
en_5RRAZuZSQt.png
en_bTh3OLCUoZ.png
en_AOWNy3i8uL.png
en_XOd058dIrU.png
en_OlZF208NhM.png
en_n9aQJORKyB.png
en_yNTrOqjzLX.png
en_8Ca1oypM59.png
en_MdxaWtLGX2.png
en_uf6qi1T7kz.png
en_tNxXIl8mfV.png
en_ELifu17VJY.png
en_HJa2WwnaUI.png
en_vJ8AhyE2x0.png
en_p33midL5p9.png

Continued...

Okay, I have a lot of cards to test, but I want to jump in and say that people are doubting a certain card which is actually bonkers.

This is a very, very good card, and it works well with a ton of cards, not just saboteurs.

Technically the last one is a saboteur, but come on, it's nutso. And that's a handful of 2-drops from each color! A creature that copies your best card every turn, not just your own, is fantastic, and making it a 4/3 flying for only three mana is actually absurd, for the low, low price of free, even if a couple of juicy targets require some assistance (Paul Blartist and the Enchantress). It might not be Modern-playable and it works best with creatures from other colors, but that doesn't mean it isn't crazy strong.

edit: @Mown has pointed out that neither the Enchantress nor Bob work without some crazy EDH shenanigans. Thanks for the catch!

Last edited:
Dark Confidant and Argothian Enchantress are both nonbos. You don't get priority before it's too late to copy bob, and you can't target enchantress.

Okay, I have a lot of cards to test, but I want to jump in and say that people are doubting a certain card which is actually bonkers.

This is a very, very good card, and it works well with a ton of cards, not just saboteurs.

Technically the last one is a saboteur, but come on, it's nutso. And that's a handful of 2-drops from each color! A creature that copies your best card every turn, not just your own, is fantastic, and making it a 4/3 flying for only three mana is actually absurd, for the low, low price of free, even if a couple of juicy targets require some assistance (Paul Blartist and the Enchantress). It might not be Modern-playable and it works best with creatures from other colors, but that doesn't mean it isn't crazy strong.

Thanks for the catch, Mown! But I think the point still stands, which is that a lot of us, myself included, took the mental shortcut of "this card just lets me reuse Ninja of the Deep Hours for fun and profit," which really only scratches the surface of what it can do and the novel color pairings it can enable. Take Sigh's Canyon Jerboa, for example--that's +4/+4 off of an Evolving Wilds, which means you now have a UW landfall deck, even if it's more likely to be Bant. I see it as Blue's version of Cursed Mirror, another sleeper hit.

I'll sign on to your cause too. It's my sleeper card of the set. I think it's one of those cards that we'll need to see in action before we understand its effectiveness.

I have been thinking about this card lately, and whether it exceeds my DFC threshold. The first two chapters are pretty much whatever, but I like that it introduces the same pattern as The Mirari Conjecture, by going "In two turns, you will have to leverage this card for something exciting." However, it would also be very easy to make a proxy of it that just makes a token, but at the same time, changing the functionality of existing cards isn't really a can of worms I want to open up in the cube.
edit: wait, I was certain this stupid card triggered on etb, not on being blocked. Nevermind, I've lost interest.

The other thing I've been considering lately is ninjas. I think ninjutsu adds a lot of interesting interactions both in terms of card synergy and to decision making in a game of magic, but I don't like how much a lot of the existing ninjas are basically one-shot spells that are sitting ducks after they do their one trick.

Prosperous Thief gets around this issue by making all your rogues and ninjas into saboteurs. I don't believe I have the necessary density to make this card appealing on those grounds, but with some effort I could see it having some worth.
Thousand-Faced Shadows sort of solves the ninja issue by actually not being a saboteur, it is actually a glorified spell that still encourages creatures that are evasive or have useful etb-effects. Also you can tutor for it with white rangers.
The last two I'm undecided on, they're not all that interesting to me, so it mostly comes down to "How badly do I want ninjas?" They have a solid enough floor that doesn't make you sad about not being able to turn them on, and the isolated decision-making the card provides is interesting, but they both rely on ninjutsu being inherently interesting enough for me to want to include them. I suppose they have synergy with blink-effects and I guess proliferate.

I think what I was hoping for was something along the lines of:
Nezumi Bloodcloak {2}{B}
Creature - Rat Ninja
Ninjutsu {1}{B}
Sacrifice a creature: ~ gains menace until end of turn.
Whenever ~ deals combat damage to a player, return target creature card in your graveyard to your hand.
2/2

which, rough sketch, but I could see pairing with aristocrats, etb creatures, or evasion pieces.
so tl;dr: Probably adding Thousand-Faced Shadows, and maybe adding the ninja turtle or palm guy.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Continued...

The RW attacking alone mechanic and RG modified themes were, unfortunately, busts for me as far as my cube goes. I'm very happy with the potential ninjas and discard support I'll be able to add to UB though, as well as a few more enchantments and artifacts for Esper subthemes.

It's a bit too complicated for my liking. There's so many words in that card, and it's double-faced. I consciously picked only sagas with one effect on the front side.
There is a difference between wordiness and complexity. Yeah, this card has a decent number of words on it, but each effect is pretty easy to grok on its own. Chapter 1 - find a plains. Chapter 2 - discard a card, reanimate a MV 2 permanent. Chapter 3 - transform into Brimaz.

Compare to something like Questing Beast, which has different rules text every time you look at it, even though I believe it technically has fewer words than this card.