General Custom Cards: The Lab

their copyright violation process involves contacting you and asking you to correct/remove the violating image. so if there were a problem, you would have heard about it

their copyright violation process involves contacting you and asking you to correct/remove the violating image. so if there were a problem, you would have heard about it
Well I haven't sent anything in yet, I'm just considering what I'd like to work on before I get shut down.

contacting you and asking you to correct/remove the violating image
Have you ever had them do this?

I'm kind of confused how you got them to print Pokemon and MtG images, but they're telling me they won't lol. I kind of suspect it's that they act tough on it but actually aren't. Still, producing the whole set then getting shot down would suck.

Have you ever had them do this?

I'm kind of confused how you got them to print Pokemon and MtG images, but they're telling me they won't lol. I kind of suspect it's that they act tough on it but actually aren't. Still, producing the whole set then getting shot down would suck.
the exact scenario where it happened was, i was trying out a custom card back id made for my first set of MTG customs, and i left the word “Magic” on the card back (changed some other stuff). they had me change the card back image, which was when i switched to textless card backs and have never had any copyright issue with anything ever since.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
the exact scenario where it happened was, i was trying out a custom card back id made for my first set of MTG customs, and i left the word “Magic” on the card back (changed some other stuff). they had me change the card back image, which was when i switched to textless card backs and have never had any copyright issue with anything ever since.
This is why https://mpcfill.com/ has a Magic back with the word Magic replaced with the word Proxy (in the same style) (iirc).

yeah, i wanted to make my own but i got over that pretty quick. the textless one i use has the “spellbook cover” with the 5 colored beads, but none of the word blocks. so it’s the same color as a real back for sleeving, but easily discernible from a real card unsleeved.

hey custom geniuses, i am in need of some art. i’m making a card with a spellbook that references Final Fantasy Tactics, and i would LOVE to give the cards in the spellbook FFT style art. i want pictures of the spells Fire, Thunder, Blizzard, Barrier (or Protect or Shell), and Cure being cast. preferably by a Red Mage but i’ll take anything at this point because i am turning up nothing. anyone out there a Final Fantasy diehard and knows of art that would work here? thanks!

Uh boy, I sadly know nothing about FF. Sorry! People, please help blacksmithy despite me intervening with a small question.

Is this card good? It's for my custom Pokémagic cube. I am aiming for a modern masters/horinzons limited like power level and I don't know how to rate this. There is a double spell archetype in boros and a +1/+1 counter theme in gruul, so it has some legs there I assume?

Medidation {R/G}
Sorcery
Put a +1/+1 counter on target Pokémon you control. You may tap it. If you do, return Medidation to your hand at the beginning of your next end step.

Maybe I could make it so you can only target untapped creatures but then get it back immediately if you tap it, so you can use it on multiple creatures a turn? Or would that be too good?

that is an interesting spell… i think the way it’s currently worded you can get the spell back even if you cast it on a tapped creature post combat? because you can still tap a tapped permanent, like what happens all the time on t1 in NEO limited with Network Disruptor. seems pretty awesome to get magecraft/doublespell triggers and grow beaters

that is an interesting spell… i think the way it’s currently worded you can get the spell back even if you cast it on a tapped creature post combat? because you can still tap a tapped permanent, like what happens all the time on t1 in NEO limited with Network Disruptor. seems pretty awesome to get magecraft/doublespell triggers and grow beaters
You can target a tapped creature with Network Disruptor, it's a legal target for the ability, but it doesn't tap the creature if you do.
701.21a To tap a permanent, turn it sideways from an upright position. Only untapped permanents can be tapped.

Make sure to credit the artist though :)
But even then, even the images aren't property of wizards or pokemon, is it legal to print images of an artist without permission? There is a chance we're living in the last age of free images with the coming blockchain tech. MPC isn't giving me any problems up to today and I'm loving the qualitiy. But I won't betting money on them printing my customs for ever.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
But even then, even the images aren't property of wizards or pokemon, is it legal to print images of an artist without permission? There is a chance we're living in the last age of free images with the coming blockchain tech. MPC isn't giving me any problems up to today and I'm loving the qualitiy. But I won't betting money on them printing my customs for ever.
It depends. Some artists allow use of their images for private purpose, others don't.

Is it legal to print images of an artist without permission?

Yes! It might be rude, but I can legally print anything I want and I can pay someone else to print anything I want.*

*this offer does not extend to things like dollar bills. You also can't sell it. I'm not a lawyer. I'm also in the US and am assuming you are too. The other party can refuse to print something without proper credit. For more information, see https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

There is a chance we're living in the last age of free images with the coming blockchain tech.

E6453JpX0AIWWda.jpg

Sorry, not to dunk on you, but unless things change radically with our legal system we'll still be able to right-click on things with no ramifications other than making a few people angry. Again, I'm not advocating for stealing art, but as long as you're not selling it or passing it off as your own, you're going to be fine legally. It's rude to not credit the artist, and I would never not do that, but you don't have an obligation to do so outside of your own morals. (Same disclaimer as above applies.)

Hi all

I need some help so I am reaching out to you guys. I have recently entered an online competition and was wondering if you could give me some input. So the idea is to create two or more custom cards that benefit from each other and somehow link to each other but they must also be independently playable. Do you have any ideas what I could go for? Any suggestions are welcome.

Will you help me win this thing?
You’re the best! Thanks

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Hi all

I need some help so I am reaching out to you guys. I have recently entered an online competition and was wondering if you could give me some input. So the idea is to create two or more custom cards that benefit from each other and somehow link to each other but they must also be independently playable. Do you have any ideas what I could go for? Any suggestions are welcome.

Will you help me win this thing?
You’re the best! Thanks
I saw something like you are describing here. Maybe that can give you some fresh ideas?