General Custom Cards: The Lab

"Plays their second land" seems very narrow as ramp hate
Also I feel like Keeper of new life wants "Other creature" but I also know you
yeah i am OK with it not making treasures very often, mostly i want clues.
i do not think it counts when you fetch… does it?
EDIT: and yeah keeper is supposed to be a mom variant so needs to be able to bounce herself like what mom can do

@blacksmithy, how much of your cube is custom now? How did you decide on the power level you're at? The issue with high power, besides price, is the limited number of cards you have to choose from that get printed at that top power level. With customs, you can make any power level have any number of cards, so I'm curious why you didn't go ahead and push all the way into moxen, lotus 2.0, etc.

@blacksmithy, how much of your cube is custom now?
let’s see… 20 custom lands, about 5-6 custom spells per color, then 1-2 custom spells per guild puts me at… 60 of 384 customs right now? probably a LITTLE higher but that’s a decent estimate. and i expect that number to creep up over time.

How did you decide on the power level you're at? The issue with high power, besides price, is the limited number of cards you have to choose from that get printed at that top power level. With customs, you can make any power level have any number of cards, so I'm curious why you didn't go ahead and push all the way into moxen, lotus 2.0, etc.
so i want my format to showcase extremely high power FAIR gameplay. what i mean by fair is this:
1. you can’t literally cheat on mana. so no lotus or moxen or sol ring, no reanimate griselbrand/eldrazi, no sneak and show, etc.

2. you must win by reducing the opponent’s life total to zero in combat, getting close to that via combat then using bolts to face, or by them naturally decking themselves out (it does happen in control mirrors). so no “win the game” effects (thassa’s oracle is cut IRL even if it’s still on the list by mistake), no turbo mill (NEVER EVER), no splinter twin, no Marit Lage, etc.

i also don’t run conspiracies.

within those constraints, pretty much anything goes!

Hey there I have thing to discuss regarding a cycle I am trying myself on:
I want to make MDFCs with duals on the back. Since I also want to give Aggro al little boost when it comes to fixing (I play Triomes and some other tapped lands), I wanted to make them come to play untapped conditionally.
So my take is this:
You may have CARDNAME enter the battlefield tapped. If you don’t, put a pain counter on it. For as long as this card has a pain counter on it, it has “Whenever this land becomes tapped, it deals 1 damage to you.”
{T}: Add {B} or {R}.

Now my big question is:
How do I balance the powerlevel of the front side?
Since those lands are pretty good anyways, the front side does not have to be that good for the card to be playable, but if I make them too bad, they are just lands that are unnesseraily complex.
I guess I have to make them expensive lategame cards, like the mythic MDFC lands. Or do you think I could make some of them situational removal cards for example?

Hey there I have thing to discuss regarding a cycle I am trying myself on:
I want to make MDFCs with duals on the back. Since I also want to give Aggro al little boost when it comes to fixing (I play Triomes and some other tapped lands), I wanted to make them come to play untapped conditionally.
So my take is this:
You may have CARDNAME enter the battlefield tapped. If you don’t, put a pain counter on it. For as long as this card has a pain counter on it, it has “Whenever this land becomes tapped, it deals 1 damage to you.”
{T}: Add {B} or {R}.

Now my big question is:
How do I balance the powerlevel of the front side?
Since those lands are pretty good anyways, the front side does not have to be that good for the card to be playable, but if I make them too bad, they are just lands that are unnesseraily complex.
I guess I have to make them expensive lategame cards, like the mythic MDFC lands. Or do you think I could make some of them situational removal cards for example?
honestly, given your design desires, i would just make one face a painland and the other face some kind of slightly-below rate familiar card from that guild.
For example, your RG land could be Karplusan Forest on one side and Destructive Revelry on the other.
a benefit of mashing up existing (simple) cards is that generally they will be a lot easier to grok than something totally new. especially on custom lands, it’s very nice to cut complexity and boost familiarity as this is a game piece players generally don’t have to think about too much. just my thoughts on one way it could be done, i’m sure it’s not the only way

I've been trying to create a colorless treasure producer to help fixing for colorful decks. I thought using the coin case, an important item from Pokémon games would be a cool way and I have treasures in the cube anyway.

Maybe the whole X shtick is too much? Maybe it should just be a 3-mv mana rock that enters tapped and makes a treasure each turn?

@ravnic how long have you been on WotC's payroll and exactly when were you planning on telling us? ;)

honestly, given your design desires, i would just make one face a painland and the other face some kind of slightly-below rate familiar card from that guild.
For example, your RG land could be Karplusan Forest on one side and Destructive Revelry on the other.
a benefit of mashing up existing (simple) cards is that generally they will be a lot easier to grok than something totally new. especially on custom lands, it’s very nice to cut complexity and boost familiarity as this is a game piece players generally don’t have to think about too much. just my thoughts on one way it could be done, i’m sure it’s not the only way
That is a great Idea, You helped me a lot.
I guess I could even make the typeline of the flipside-window (does it have a name) say "Painland - T: Add R or U".
Clearly you should pair the duals with the "opposite" Familiar. For example...

Also an awesome Idea! I knew I came to the right place to get new Ideas.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Complete sidebar:
@Velrun if you're doing more CC work for people, I've found out a weird tip possibly too niche for other people

1650197704824.png
If you're making stuff with this frame, be sure to add the red frame to the whole card, then green to the right hand side (as opposed to red left, green right, which leaves some weird transparency in the middle)
Your mileage may vary with other frames, but it's REALLY noticeable here
Eg: Good vs Bad
1650197704824.png1650197746126.png

that is super weird! honestly i don’t like the black gradient any more than the white gradient but it’s still very interesting that it can be changed based on process
EDIT: fwiw i’ve always just done whole card with a right half overlay, didn’t know you could do left half right half

let’s see… 20 custom lands, about 5-6 custom spells per color, then 1-2 custom spells per guild puts me at… 60 of 384 customs right now? probably a LITTLE higher but that’s a decent estimate. and i expect that number to creep up over time.

so i want my format to showcase extremely high power FAIR gameplay. what i mean by fair is this:
1. you can’t literally cheat on mana. so no lotus or moxen or sol ring, no reanimate griselbrand/eldrazi, no sneak and show, etc.

2. you must win by reducing the opponent’s life total to zero in combat, getting close to that via combat then using bolts to face, or by them naturally decking themselves out (it does happen in control mirrors). so no “win the game” effects (thassa’s oracle is cut IRL even if it’s still on the list by mistake), no turbo mill (NEVER EVER), no splinter twin, no Marit Lage, etc.

i also don’t run conspiracies.

within those constraints, pretty much anything goes!

What I hear you say is you run Avatars, Schemes, Planes, Hero cards, Phenomenon and Companions :p