General Custom Cards: The Lab

I think they meant Card Conjurer. The abbreviation is a bit awkward on a forum dedicated to Cube Magic :D

Ah yes.

Although I would call myself a custom card expert in the years 2012-2018, I would also say I am no longer an expert of the sorts. Card Conjurer is a young man’s game ;) :p

@Chris Taylor
In fact I even decided to say yes to @blacksmithy when they offered to help with Card Conjurer. I was not the one actually designing the cards on Card Conjurer or placed the order on MakePlayingCards, Smithy did. All I did was theory craft the cards in the my mind and Smithy did all the hard work <3

Here

https://riptidelab.com/forum/threads/custom-cards-the-lab.403/page-148

There's gotta be something wrong with this, right?:

CARDNAME . . . 3
Artifact Land
(You may play this as your land for the turn or cast it for its mana cost.)
T: Add W or U.

I don't want to use a DFC and think this rock/land design is cool.

There's gotta be something wrong with this, right?:

CARDNAME . . . 3
Artifact Land
(You may play this as your land for the turn or cast it for its mana cost.)

I don't want to use a DFC and think this rock/land design is cool.

If you are both the designer of the card, owner of the cube and head judge of the tournament, then anything goes. If you give it a thumbs up, then it works.

With the way Wizards have worded their reminder texts recently (since Sagas), this could be a very genuine way to word it.

The only thing I worry about is the wording right now can overrule any additional costs you might normally have to pay.

Wrong as in doesn't work according to the rules or wrong as in an affront to Richard Garfield and nature?

For the former I think you'd have to make the cost a mechanic, as lands can't have costs. Something like

CARDNAME
Artifact Land
Develop 3 (You may play this as your land for the turn or cast it for its Develop cost.)

And then you can do things like have it enter tapped/untapped based on how it was played/cast, etc.

Last edited:
Wrong as in doesn't work according to the rules or wrong as in an affront to Richard Garfield and nature?
Yes.
For the former I think you'd have to make the cost a mechanic, as lands can't have costs. Something like

CARDNAME
Artifact Land
Develop 3 (You may play this as your land for the turn or cast it for its Develop cost.)

And then you can do things like have it enter tapped/untapped based on how it was played/cast, etc.
I kind of like it as a mechanic... Could add it to lands at varying levels that way. Maybe the green ones come down at 1G, for example.
I mean...

This is most of the idea right?
Yeah, except that feels like a lot of words to accomplish what a mana cost up top can easily do. It also may not be immediately obvious to my beginner players that tap land, return land, play land is a line.

Maybe just "You may pay N to put ~ into play. (This doesn't count as your land for the turn.)"?

EDIT: For Pokemon set
Mystical Power RG (You may pay RG to put ~ into play. This doesn't count as your land for the turn.)
?

Last edited:
Yeah, it's literally that minus the etb tapped.
And the land card type :)

And the requirement that you need a Basic land on the battlefield to get this onto the battlefield as what feels like the normal land play for the turn :)

The upside here is that you gain some cool plane-bound Alara art. On this particular art you can see Esper crashing into Grixis during the Conflux.

‘Casting’ a land probably causes all sorts of rules problems, but Brad’s wording seems to work based on rule 305.4. Except it would be ‘onto the battlefield’ not ‘into play’ :cool:. The reminder text is unnecessary but helpful.

I totally agree that the Mistvein Borderpost elegantly captures the contrast between the white order of Esper and red chaos of Jund, whilst otherwise being a symmetrical composition. Sadly none of the other borderpost art managed to achieve this.

I totally agree that the Mistvein Borderpost elegantly captures the contrast between the white order of Esper and red chaos of Jund, whilst otherwise being a symmetrical composition. Sadly none of the other borderpost art managed to achieve this.
Certainly not Jund :) It's Esper and Grixis.

For easy reference:
https://scryfall.com/search?q=borderpost

All the shards from the Alara block have a centered color. For Esper it is blue and for Grixis it is black. The colors of the Borderposts represents the center of the shards.

Mistvein Borderpost is {U} and {B}, hence Esper and Grixis.

The others:
Fieldmist Borderpost {W} and {U} = Bant and Esper
Firewild Borderpost {R} and {G} = Jund and Naya
Veinfire Borderpost {B} and {R} = Grixis and Jund
Wildfield Borderpost {G} and {W} = Naya and Bant

In my opinion it is very clear to see which planes are on each side of the border.

what about a land that channeled to create a manalith of the appropriate colors?

edit:
Gruul Rock Land
Land
[add some stupid drawback here if you want to make the land worse]
t: add r or g.
2(r/g), discard this: create a token artifact with “t: add r or g.”

Seems gross with Crucible of Worlds, so unless that's the point (which I would never put past you ;)) I'd think it should probably be an exile effect.

There's also the issue of making yet another token, but I can live with that.

Seems gross with Crucible of Worlds, so unless that's the point (which I would never put past you ;)) I'd think it should probably be an exile effect.

There's also the issue of making yet another token, but I can live with that.
being gross with crucible of worlds is a feature not a bug lol
edit: to avoid making a token you could have it “conjure a Gruul Signet onto the battlefield.”

I'm not a fan of adding tokens to the token pile. I'll probably word it as an ability with unnecessary, but helpful, reminder text.

What do you guys think about a Clone where your opponent chooses? Like an Edict Clone. Could probably 1-2 mana? Is that even interesting? I think it's fun to try and limit the number of targets your opponent can choose from, but, just like an edict, it might fuckin' suck too often.

ho
I'm not a fan of adding tokens to the token pile. I'll probably word it as an ability with unnecessary, but helpful, reminder text.

What do you guys think about a Clone where your opponent chooses? Like an Edict Clone. Could probably 1-2 mana? Is that even interesting? I think it's fun to try and limit the number of targets your opponent can choose from, but, just like an edict, it might fuckin' suck too often.
short grumpy answer: edict clone sounds extremely disappointing for the player who dares to try maindecking it and keeps cloning saprolings and cats.
long grumpy answer: honestly, i think clone effects are already so bad in a rate-conscious environment that i would want a clone effect to cost UU and have no downside before i really consider cubing it (no, phantasmal image doesn’t cut it). and i might even give this UU clone flash or at least flash as a kicker cost just to help it out a little.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So I don't have a full idea here but the compleated text from Tamiyo, compleated sage can probably be used to make a walker that only survives it downtick if you pay colored mana for it, and costs only colorless otherwise, essentially turning it into a colorless sorcery/colored walker split card, with flexibility if you've got more than one phyrexian mana in the cost.

No idea if this is a thing you'd want, but it could be interesting

I feel like it'd need a "non-token" clause.

anyone have some good art where the subject is food? i am working on a side project and having a surprisingly hard time finding any good, generic “food” art.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
anyone have some good art where the subject is food? i am working on a side project and having a surprisingly hard time finding any good, generic “food” art.
https://www.deviantart.com/thegreatsquirrel2/favourites/81412108/food (this has a bunch of questionable art as well as photographs, but also a number of excellent, fantasy style food-themed art, like https://www.deviantart.com/arcipello/art/Bok-Choy-Koi-899522463.

https://www.deviantart.com/pbmoj/art/Cheeky-Raiders-904423612
https://www.deviantart.com/azimutth/art/The-Feast-739611949
https://www.deviantart.com/almanegra/art/Food-for-Thought-710451742

Last edited: