General Onderzeeboot, how are you doing?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Hey! Thanks for asking! I'm doing pretty fine. Time spent on Magic is a bit low atm, I'm choosing to spend more time on my family, D&D, and gaming lately, but I've got a cube draft coming up later this month. My first one in over half a year! Pretty stoked, though I suffered a bit form analysis paralysis when I was pondering potential changes to the cube last week. I haven't updated it since NEO, and WotC printed quite a bit of relevant (for my cube) stuff since then, like new ninja's in NEO and multicolor stuff in SNC. It's a tough but exciting nut to crack. Hopefully I'll get around to that before the draft! Secretly I've been contemplating changing the color wheel again, since there have been some additions to old color combinations that peaked piqued my interest for revisiting old themes, but there's no way I'm going to manage an entire redesign before the end of June! So, how are you? :)

Last edited:

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
peaked my interest

You make English mistakes so infrequently that I think you would appreciate a correction. This is an incorrect homonym. The correct phrase is 'piqued my interest', but it's such a common mistake, even for native speakers.

There's also the 'sneak peak' mistake that is so common that it has its own twitter bot for corrections: https://twitter.com/stealthmount2

So, how are you? :)
I'm sorry, this is outside the scope of this thread.

landofMordor

Administrator
You make English mistakes so infrequently that I think you would appreciate a correction. This is an incorrect homonym. The correct phrase is 'piqued my interest', but it's such a common mistake, even for native speakers.

There's also the 'sneak peak' mistake that is so common that it has its own twitter bot for corrections: https://twitter.com/stealthmount2
I like this (and agree that Onderzeeboot's English is better than many native speakers).

My other favorite Cube-specific homonym mistake is when people (many of them native speakers) say "shoe-in", as in "Oko is a shoe-in to the banlist." The correct phrase is "shoo-in", because its etymology is like an elder shooing the kids into the house for supper. Or, like, shooing a fly away from a pie (hence, the Pennsylvania Dutch dessert "shoofly pie", which is better than it sounds but still inferior to pecan and pumpkin).

So the correct spelling is "shoo Oko into the banlist, because he's a shoo-in for the banlist."

And while I'm at it, because I've made the mistake of reading Obi-Wan Kenobi reddit threads recently (don't spoil Episode 4 for me, as I've not gotten to see it yet!), it's "caNon" not "caNNon". Not a gunpowder projectile weapon, a word derived from the Greek "kanon=rule" which then came to describe the church-endorsed biblical texts at the time the Roman Catholic bible was codified, and whose meaning has since expanded to also mean the officially endorsed subset of fictional corpora. (Which is kinda ironic, because many people do indeed persecute Star Wars heretics with a mania which can only be described as religious.)

Homophone mistakes will plague languages til the end of days. It's inevitable if you make two+ different words sound the exact same!

To be fair, many of those issues are due to the melding of other languages that used similar roots and took them in different directions, as English is an IMO loaner-heavy language (and relatively huge in base vocabulary).

From the poem Example:
Corpse -> Middle English via Latin
Corps -> French (via Latin again)

Looking hard at French for a lot of these issues....

To be fair, many of those issues are due to the melding of other languages that used similar roots and took them in different directions, as English is an IMO loaner-heavy language (and relatively huge in base vocabulary).

From the poem Example:
Corpse -> Middle English via Latin
Corps -> French (via Latin again)

Looking hard at French for a lot of these issues....
William the Bastard has a lot to answer for.

I mean, that's just one of the many, many causes of the shitshow that is English orthography.

To quote the mighty Wikipedia:

[...]
However, unlike with most languages, there are multiple ways to spell nearly every phoneme (sound), and most letters also have multiple pronunciations depending on their position in a word and the context.

This is partly due to the large number of words that have been borrowed from a large number of other languages throughout the history of English, without successful attempts at complete spelling reforms,[5] and partly due to accidents of history [...] Most of the spelling conventions in Modern English were derived from the phonetic spelling of a variety of Middle English, and generally do not reflect the sound changes that have occurred since the late 15th century (such as the Great Vowel Shift).
[...]
Despite the various English dialects spoken from country to country and within different regions of the same country, there are only slight regional variations in English orthography,

What that quote doesn't include is the fact that English phonology has 20-ish different vowel sounds (the exact number varies by dialect and how exactly you go about counting them). This is an unusually large collection of vowel sounds (it's a Germanic language thing), and it's one of the big reasons that non-fluent speakers sound weird.

We use five symbols to represent all of those sounds. And there's no guarantee for any given word that the sound that that symbol is supposed to represent is even the sound your dialect would use in that word.

English might not be the worst language, orthography-wise... but it's certainly up there.

Japanese is arguably worse, to pick an obvious example.

Then you get stuff like Manx (English + Irish = why), Navajo (aka "Hey, can you leave some vowels for the rest of us?"), or Cherokee (to be fair, the person who invented written Cherokee was literally illiterate).