General Guess the Card

1659041248620.png

Jokes aside, never heard of that magazine. That narrows the timeline down to 1995 through 2007 at the very least.

Ok, another hint then: it creates some kind of token.
And the other clues were:
It is a creature
It pays tribute to Warcraft2
It isn't red
It is old border
The fact that the card is an Warcraft related joke was in InQuest magazine
I'll throw in another obscure bonus hint. You could legally buy boosters from the set the card is in before the set was released.

Last edited:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Sweet! I've been brooding on one of the red herring puzzles since they first premiered in this thread ;) Four of these represent the card I'm thinking of in one way or another, the other four are just there to lead you astray.

Cool! Guess I'll have to give a hint on my puzzle, since no one is biting :) My card has exactly one thing in common with Adorable Kitten.

@Sheltem
Now that @Onderzeeboot has guessed your card, can you put a few more words to your story?
Of course!
The humans in Warcraft had a unit, the Mage, which could polymorph any unit into a sheep, rendering it useless. So someone in Wizards must have been a huge Fan of Warcraft and designed a card, which does the same.
Before Visions was actually released you could buy a storage box with Visions art and 3 or 4 boosters of Visions. I can't say exactly how much earlier that box was released, but I got one in my FLGS at the time. After looking at the cards, I actually had opened an Ovinomancer and it reminded me immediately of Warcraft. It was even mentioned in InQuest the next month. There they pointed out that it was indeed a reference to Warcraft.
Unfortunately the card itself is literally almost unplayable. It might see play in EDH though.
Edit: after some searching I found the box. It was called Multiverse gift box and had two Visions booster and some others. The box was released November 96 and Visions was released February 97.

Last edited:
Of course!
The humans in Warcraft had a unit, the Mage, which could polymorph any unit into a sheep, rendering it useless. So someone in Wizards must have been a huge Fan of Warcraft and designed a card, which does the same.
Before Visions was actually released you could buy a storage box with Visions art and 3 or 4 boosters of Visions. I can't say exactly how much earlier that box was released, but I got one in my FLGS at the time. After looking at the cards, I actually had opened an Ovinomancer and it reminded me immediately of Warcraft. It was even mentioned in InQuest the next month. There they pointed out that it was indeed a reference to Warcraft.
Unfortunately the card itself is literally almost unplayable. It might see play in EDH though.
Edit: after some searching I found the box. It was called Multiverse gift box and had two Visions booster and some others. The box was released November 96 and Visions was released February 97.
Just give it haste with one of those red enchantments Fervor or Akroma’s memorial

You still have to bounce 3 lands when Ovinomancer comes into play and bounce him when you use the ability.
Nope you do not have to bounce lands…

Let the bounce or sacrifice trigger go onto the stack, and tap and return ovino in response. You destroy a creature and then you can choose to either sacrifice ovino (which is already returned to the hand) or bounce three lands. The choice to sacrifice something non-existing or bounce 3 lands is up to you.
See the oracle of lotus vale for comparison.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
https://adnd2e.fandom.com/wiki/Polymorph_Self
There is a polymorph self spell in AD&D from 1977

3.5 adds the ability to polymorph a willing creature, but it's still not quite ophiomancer, at least on the base polymorph spell. Baleful Polymorph (A much higher level spell) lets you permanently alter someone else, and IIRC the duration on Polymorph (at least in WC3 Ladder play) is permanent?

Wait never mind AD&D has polymorph other as just a different spell: https://adnd2e.fandom.com/wiki/Polymorph_Other

I'm going to chock it up to old game design weirdness that there's 3 different polymorph spells listed in different places (All in the PHB or equivilent)

This brings back good memories of playing Divine Divinity, in which there was a Polymorph spell that was bugged to be permanent, when it was supposed to only last a bit. Worked on bosses.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's additional hint time!

Sweet! I've been brooding on one of the red herring puzzles since they first premiered in this thread Four of these represent the card I'm thinking of in one way or another, the other four are just there to lead you astray.

Hint 1: My card has exactly one thing in common with Adorable Kitten.
Hint 2. My card has even more in common with Garruk the Slayer, but like with the Kitten, it's not the text on the card that matches.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
New day, new hint!

Sweet! I've been brooding on one of the red herring puzzles since they first premiered in this thread Four of these represent the card I'm thinking of in one way or another, the other four are just there to lead you astray.

Hint 1: My card has exactly one thing in common with Adorable Kitten.
Hint 2: My card has even more in common with Garruk the Slayer, but like with the Kitten, it's not the text on the card that matches.
Hint 3: My card does not buff Tarmogoyf.

I'm thinking it's
But that's more of based on the kitten and Garruk, I have no idea how the rest of the cards fit in. Barrin, Master Wizard and Karn seem to fit though since Barrin is a knowledge seeker and Karn is a planeswalker.