General Guess the Card

Very nice guess. The success of faeries in Standards is quite a bit through their main color (blue), though.

This tribe I'm talking about is smaller (<25 cards), but you got the right color! The card is green.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, Putrid Leech definitely doesn't suck like, say, Ainok Trackers sucks :) Jade Leech was a certified beater back in the day, but would be virtually unplayable in modern day Magic. It's definitely the only remotely playable one of the cycle though. The others were abysmal, even by Invasion's Standard standards.

If I may step in:
Magic has included references to other media over the years. The card in question is an inside joke refereing to a very popular PC game from the 90ties. The game it's from spawned a very popular other game, which is played to this day.

double feature in that case. My creature has two subtypes, the first type is quite rare, with less than one scryfall page worth, and this type combined with the second subtype is very rare, less than 10. This type isn't a tribe, per se, like "berserker". It is blue, but plays well against a permission-style deck.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm going to guess...

There's only 36 Elders, less than a Scryfall page, and there's only six Elder Dinosaurs. It's extremely potent against permission decks, as it can't be countered itself, and draws you a card when they counter something else you play!

If I may step in:
Magic has included references to other media over the years. The card in question is an inside joke refereing to a very popular PC game from the 90ties. The game it's from spawned a very popular other game, which is played to this day.
Inside joke...? So is the game Baldur's Gate? Without narrowing the game down first I'm pretty much totally lost on that clue lol.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Sweet! I've been brooding on one of the red herring puzzles since they first premiered in this thread ;) Four of these represent the card I'm thinking of in one way or another, the other four are just there to lead you astray.

Is it...

Referring, obviously, to Warcraft (the RTS, not the MMO), which inspired Starcraft.
Very good! You identified the game the card pays tribute to. It is Warcraft 2. It isn't the right card though. The card is mono coloured. And the reference isn't in the card name, but the card emulates something very iconic from that game.

Welp, I've never played WarCraft (any), so I'm out.

Interesting to learn it had a boardgame adaptation though.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Very good! You identified the game the card pays tribute to. It is Warcraft 2. It isn't the right card though. The card is mono coloured. And the reference isn't in the card name, but the card emulates something very iconic from that game.
Oh man... It's been so long since I played that game. I loved clicking on the various units to go through all the dialogue. I don't think that's the iconic thing you're referring to though... By the way, is the card you're looking for a creature or not? Because you say "and the card is a creature" in reaction to Zoss's guess, when he did in fact guessed a creature, so I'm a bit confused by the wording :)

Oh man... It's been so long since I played that game. I loved clicking on the various units to go through all the dialogue. I don't think that's the iconic thing you're referring to though... By the way, is the card you're looking for a creature or not? Because you say "and the card is a creature" in reaction to Zoss's guess, when he did in fact guessed a creature, so I'm a bit confused by the wording :)
Yes, I am looking for a creature.

I'll give you another obscure hint. The fact that this card paid tribute to Warcraft was so popular, that it was mentioned in Inquest at that time.
(Oh my, I am old.. )