General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

ok some more awful ideas

this seems fair??:
Path to Counterspell {1}{W}
Instant
Exile target spell. Its controller may search his or her library for a basic land card, put that card onto the battlefield tapped, then shuffle his or her library.

this doesn't really work like wrath, perhaps if it also countered your next spell somehow:
Wrath of Counterspell {2}{W}{W}
Instant
Counter all spells.

this was supposed to be a black counterspell but it just didnt feel like it. i suspect this is probably not fun or interesting but maybe it'll give someone a better idea:
What Is This {U}{B}
Instant
Choose target spell an opponent controls. The owner of that spell reveals his or her hand. You may choose a nonland card from it. If you do, counter than spell, and that player casts that card without paying its mana cost.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Uh... 1C hard counter feels like something Blue doesn't even get. Yeah, there's a downside, but... hmm... that would be a pretty premier counterspell I think.

Next stage evolution
2G instant
Sacrifice target creature. You may search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost equal to the sacced creature +1 and put it into play.

?

some more controversial ideas I can think of at a-million-o'clock. I really encourage everyone to respond and to try to respond to as many as they can think of something to say about.

Crypt Calling {2}{B}{B}
Sorcery (U)
Return target creature from your graveyard to play.
When you cycle Crypt Calling you may return a creature from your graveyard to your hand.
Cycling - {2}{B}

Rugged Outsider {G}
Creature - Human Elf Rogue (U)
Deathtouch
Discard a land card from your hand: Rugged Outsider becomes a 3/3 until end of turn.
1/1
(lots of things can change about this guy)

Guiding Ancestor {1}{W}
Creature - Spirit (U)
Flying
When Guiding Ancestor enters the battlefield, search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost 1 or less and put it into your hand. Shuffle or whatever.
1/1

Geology {1}{G} (or 2/g 2/g)
Sorcery (C)
Return a land card from your graveyard to your hand.
Draw a card.

Wild Retort {U}{R}
Instant (C)
Wild Retort deals 2 damage to target spell's controller, counter that spell unless it's controller pays 2.

Town-Razer Dragon {3} {R}{R}
Creature - Dragon (R)
Flying
Contract - {2}{R} , Discard Town-Razer Dragon from your hand: Destroy target non-basic land.
4/5

(yes I know it's channel)

some more controversial ideas I can think of at a-million-o'clock. I really encourage everyone to respond and to try to respond to as many as they can think of something to say about.

Crypt Calling {2}{B}{B}
Sorcery (U)
When you cycle Crypt Calling you may return a creature from your graveyard to your hand.
Cycling - {2}{B}

At first glance I'd put the cycling cost to {1}{B}, but I think this is pretty good. It's either a reanimate spell, or a cantrip raise dead. Nice.

Rugged Outsider {G}
Deathtouch
Discard a land card from your hand: Rugged Outsider becomes a 3/3 until end of turn.
1/1

I'm really not sure about this guy. I can't put my finger on it yet.

Wild Retort{U}{R}
Instant (C)
Wild Retort deals 2 damage to target spell's controller, counter that spell unless it's controller pays 2.
I really like this card. I think it's definitely pushed, but Izzet needs some guts.

However you need to compare it to

It's almost too good?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Rugged Outsider {G}
Deathtouch
1/1

Probably what feels weird is that:
a) it's a 1-drop that gets as big as Wild Mongrel after one discard
b) Deathtouch and pump on the same card are kinda wonky
c) becoming 3/3 is less, uh, exciting that getting, say, +2/+2 til EOT

I'm not really sure what the design is trying to accomplish.

i dont like deathtouch about that guy but i like everything else

i dont like 2R instant speed stone rain that cant be countered, i get the idea though and im not opposed but it needs some tweaking

i do like geology, but i dont think it does enough to deserve a cube spot in most cubes

crypt calling is cool but what makes it 2BB instead of 3B

4GGG sorcery
Draw 3 cards. Destroy up to 3 artifacts and/or enchantments. Gain control of all permanents you own.

Borderline under costed?

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
4GGG sorcery
Draw 3 cards. Destroy up to 3 artifacts and/or enchantments. Gain control of all permanents you own.

Borderline under costed?

This seems like a card I would never run in one of my cube decks. I could imagine it in a Commander set, as cliche as that is to say.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Stuff is rarely stolen, and the Eldrazi-Domain cube plays almost no artifacts and enchantments, and none that really need to be killed. Maybe if it hit non-creature permanents or something.

Things are also stolen (or given) pretty rarely.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
you guys should totes talk about my sweet cards more. How would you change them?

Post them again, and in a smaller batch? My attention span for custom cards is small and if I read a long list my brain is too dead to talk about them.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Crypt Calling{2}{B}{B}
Sorcery (U)
Cycling - {2}{B}
It's kinda cool, and it makes flavor sense, but it's bad in both reanimator (where you need the spells to be cheaper like reanimate grindier like unburial rites) and in fair decks because I'm not sure I've ever seen a raise dead variant I'd cube (other than eternal witness)

Rugged Outsider {G}
Deathtouch
1/1
As above, why deathtouch? why does he get a static size instead of a pump? Why only lands?
Like, typhiod rats is kinda a control card, but this guy pumps, which makes me think attacking, but then you have to discard cards, so madness, but wait lands can't have madness can they? How would that even work?
My brain hurts :(

Guiding Ancestor {1}{W}
Creature - Spirit (U)
Flying
When Guiding Ancestor enters the battlefield, search your library for a creature card with converted mana cost 1 or less and put it into your hand. Shuffle or whatever.
1/1
You know, I think this is what squadron hawk wants to be in cube :D
Love it!

Geology {1}{G} (or 2/g 2/g)
Sorcery (C)
Return a land card from your graveyard to your hand.
Draw a card.
Probably 1G, I don't see people paying 4 for this in black decks.
Does green want a conditional divination? I dunno. Maybe this whole green control thing is the inspiration, but I prefer sylvan library type filtering (Even if sylvan library would be a UB card these days)

Wild Retort {U}{R}
Instant (C)
Cool card, probably not too too strong. I know you have it worded the way you do because if they're reversed it looks like they only take damage if they pay mana, but the end result looks weird. I think it'll come across clear enough if there's a line break between the two effects:

Counter target spell unless its controller pays 2.
~ deals 2 damage to that spells controller.

Town-Razer Dragon {3} {R}{R}
Creature - Dragon (R)
Flying
Contract - {2}{R} , Discard Town-Razer Dragon from your hand: Destroy target non-basic land.
4/5
I like the idea, and channel was a sweet mechanic, but the creature is a little boring here. I'm not too worried about the uncounterable instant stone rain, but I'm probably alone.
Is channel just less awesome evoke? You decide.

Rugged Outsider
manarg.gif

Creature - Human Elf Rogue (C)
Cycling -
manarg.gif

1/1

I like lands going to the grave. I also like temporary power and toughness changes. Lands could be a lot cooler for aggro decks right? Land cycling?

Town-Razer Dragon {3}{R}{R}
Creature - Dragon (R)
Flying
Contract - {2}{R} , Discard Town-Razer Dragon from your hand: Destroy target non-basic land. Play this ability only sorcery like.
4/5

I don't mind abilities that can't be countered, oddly enough, most colours and decks don't have all that much access to proper counterspells anyway.