General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I wouldn't go so far as to call triple Zendikar good. A format where people were forced to maindeck Mindless Null because it was nearly impossible to play a defensive, controlling strategy is not my idea of a good time.

But mindless null doesn't even lend itself to a defensive strategy, it can't even block!
I get what you're going for (even if citing chimney imp isn't the best way to say it), but it was, above all else something different. It's hard to find a retail limited format where a control deck wasn't easily the best deck, or where 1 drops even mattered. That alone probably deserves some credit

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
That's what I'm saying. The format was so aggressive, and that trying to be controlling was such a bad strategy, that it elevated Mindless Null from unplayable dreck to passable body, because all you wanted to do was attack for two every turn. I remember drafting triple Zendikar a few times and basically seeing everything the format had to offer, because there were only so many viable decks, all of which used essentially the same strategy.

I'll grant you that it was certainly different. But being different for different's sake only works for novelty reasons. Once that newness wears off, the format is exposed for what it is.

I'm just glad that Rise of the Eldrazi ditched all of that nonsense, and gave us a really sweet format that I feel didn't get enough time in the limelight, coming just months before the summer core set forced it out. And hey, Rise was completely different from everything before it, too!

some scuttlemutt-related doodles, don't really have a cube plan for these, maybe Laz can use these if he likes them

Blind Seer, Planeswalker {1}{U}{U}
Planeswalker
+2: Target permanent becomes the color of your choice until your next turn.
-1: Reveal the top card of your library. If that card shares a color with a permanent you control, put it into your hand.
-5: Choose a color. Until your next turn, permanents you control have protection from the chosen color.
Starting Loyalty: 3

Extinguish the Light {1}{B}{B}
Creature
Target creature and each other creature that shares a color with it gets -2/-2. You lose 2 life.

Kiora’s Buddy {G/U}{G/U}
Creature
{T}: Untap another target permanent. That permanent becomes the color or colors of your choice until end of turn.
2/2

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Your missing starting loyalty and P/T, but if I assume 3 and 2/2, they seem fine.

Props for extinguish, card is sweet! :D

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
If you need to hose tokens / small things, I suppose you could just run Night. The decks wants an effect like this aren't usually in the business of playing 1/1's, anyways.

Laz

Developer
I love me some Night of Souls Betrayal. It is in a pretty sweet space design wise. I mean, probably not for Cube, but I would love to see more use of it in Legacy.

Also, anotak, those cards are pretty sweet. Colour is a very cool design space (check out Jaded Response, which I think would be totally playable at U, but is really rubbish as is). Extinguish looks like an actually playable Radiance card, and I am sure Kiora's Buddy would set someone's mind going. Swirling Spriggan just isn't quite the same. I am avoiding Planeswalkers for the Scuttle cube, since I don't want to think about how they would play with heavy counter manipulation, but Blind Seer seems interesting. The ultimate seems kind of goofy, given that it will often be worse than 'Creatures you control are unblockable'. I can't think of many situations in which I would want to activate it, given that a lot of the strength of protection is to counter removal, and this doesn't offer that.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I've thought about adding that guy for a while now, but I've never actually had the balls.

Are there random golem tribal things in your cube? I've got 2 blade splicers, but I'm wondering if he's actually stealth better than he looks :p
I know he's fine either way though

here this is one of the biggest design successes of my custom cube:

Iron Golem {1}
Creature - Golem
2/1
I was thinking of something like this that milled you 2 when you played it or lost you one life on enter and leaves battlefield.

Anyhow.... Too pushed?

Beast Mask {1}{G}
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature is a 4/4 beast and gains trample.
Equip {G}

I've thought about adding that guy for a while now, but I've never actually had the balls.

Are there random golem tribal things in your cube? I've got 2 blade splicers, but I'm wondering if he's actually stealth better than he looks :p
I know he's fine either way though
there's a blade splicer and that's it

he hasn't been op at all yet

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I was thinking of something like this that milled you 2 when you played it or lost you one life on enter and leaves battlefield.

Anyhow.... Too pushed?

Beast Mask {1}{G}
Artifact - Equipment (R)
Equipped creature is a 4/4 beast and gains trample.
Equip {G}

I like this. It's a sweet way to utilize mana dorks, but it's cheap because it doesn't do anything on someone who's bigger than a 4/4.
Also: Nice on the t2 play + equip, but still not broken. Great design! :D

I'm probably adding golem vanguard in my next update...

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Come to think of it, it probably makes more sense for the creature to lose its abilities, both for flavor reasons and T2 fencing ace, T3 this, equip, swing for 8 is a thing.

I don't mind these things at all! Don't mind contributing to your amazing fencing ace decks lol. I -cannot- wait to see what kind of awful things people to in Jason's cube with landfall dudes. I am like the biggest fan of harrow ever.

I'm down to see a million more cool green equips or enchants or anthems if you guys are down!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Okay it's hard to see on my phone, but I Think that's grafted wargear and adventureing gear?
ie the best aggro equipment ever and something that requires another card specifically.

I wouldn't be asking if I didn't think it won flavor points :p

in another thread Jason was complaining about not enough red sac outlets so it made me think of this
Weird Recursor {1}{U/R}{U/R}
Creature — Weird
Sacrifice another creature: Return target instant or sorcery card from your graveyard to your hand.
3/2

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I kinda feel like there should be a mana cost for the ability. Thats a lot of powerful stapled onto a 0 mana activation.
Like, compare how amazing the 1 damage we get from goblin bombardment is...