General Print this Wizards! (So I can put it in my cube)

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it's definitely not tuned correctly. Returning to hand may be too powerful compared to gaining Flashback.

Purphoros is in my cube now and may be a ridiculous top-end for the Zombie decks.

Yeah, it's definitely not tuned correctly. Returning to hand may be too powerful compared to gaining Flashback.
flash back is probably a much better choice? i don't know. its definitely broken as is

I'm probably adding golem vanguard in my next update...
i just caught this bit, cool!

fwiw i used the art from

because i use art from random premodern cards nobody here remembers for my completely custom cards

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'm not down with stealing existing magic art when there's a host of unknown artists out there trying to get their name out :p
as much as I rag on deviantart, it's a good source of ideas. Just don't go browsing in public. the NSFW filter is okay, but not perfect, by any stretch

Chris Taylor

Contributor
How about a remix of forum favorite order of whiteclay?

Whiteclay Elder WW1
creature - kithiken cleric
W,T: return target creature card with converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard to play
1/4

Sunburst Kavu {X}{R}
Creature — Kavu
Sunburst (This enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it.)
When Sunburst Kavu the battlefield, it deals X damage to target creature.
0/0

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I'd prefer "damage equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on it" just so you can't get the case of {R}{G}{G}{G}{G} 1/1, but 4 damage.
Balanced sure, but it seems weird.

Love the thing though

I'd prefer "damage equal to the number of +1/+1 counters on it" just so you can't get the case of {R}{G}{G}{G}{G} 1/1, but 4 damage.
Balanced sure, but it seems weird.

Love the thing though
that'd be a 2/2, but yeah honestly that was the idea is that situation. i didn't want it to just be mostly better than FTK and more flexible

My favourite bad idea from last week:

Lingering Vexation {1}{B}
Enchantment (U)
When Lingering Vexation enters the battlefield, put a curse counter on target creature, then target player loses life equal to the number of curse counters on permanents they control.
Creatures with curse counters on them get -2/-2.

to dial it down you can skip the life loss shit and this just becomes removal permanents that stack in a really cool way.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Interesting card.
I wonder if it makes sense as a BW pacifism variant, since that way the creature will actually sitck around, as opposed to the current design where the creature just stops costing them life once you draw enough of them.

This card follows the theme of a white card I designed that is a big vigilant guy that puts a counter on a thing that arrests it while one of the jerks is in play.
I like this card for devotion etc.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Hey guys, you know how Anotak has the {1} 2/1 so every deck can have their elite vanguard?
Can we make a 4 drop like that? Lodestone golem attacks, but I'm not a huge fan of him.
We've got solem simulacrum for the grindy decks, can we make a colorless 4 drop that attacks well?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Would Aether Vial be cubeable if you could flash in a creature with CMC X or less?

Probably, but it does remove just about all the decisions from the card. Maybe that matters.

I had this variant a while back when I was mucking with blue over and over:

Magus of the Vial {1}{U}
Creature - Human Wizard
{T}: put a creature card with converted mana cost equal to or less than the number of lands you control from your hand onto the battlefield.
0/1

can i make this into a cycle
Sunburst Hydra {X}{G}
Creature — Hydra
Sunburst (This enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it.)
~ enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
0/0

is this too good? potentially 3/3 for 2 or 5/5 for 3 or 7/7 for 4 or 9/9 for WUBRG? it makes woolly thoctar look like a joke but for cube it already is and it dies to vampire hexmage and ultimate price

design challenge:
i need a handful of cards that
1) would be valued higher by control decks than other decks
2) aren't just card draw (though if modal one side can be so)
3) aren't just removal that midrange decks just will pick up just as much as control
4) aren't just 6 drops

suggesting actual cards is fine too.

I like this XC sunburst thing.
thanks!
these also die to smother
here's another idea, this is perhaps too good? compare turnabout, mistbind clique, gridlock, reality spasm, peregrine drake, palinchron, pestermite, deceiver exarch

Sunburst Tapper {X}{U}
Creature — Human
Flash, Sunburst (This enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it for each color of mana spent to cast it.)
When Sunburst Tapper enters the battlefield, choose one — Tap X target permanents; or untap X target permanents.
0/0

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Sunburst Hydra {X}{G}
Creature — Hydra
~ enters the battlefield with X +1/+1 counters on it.
0/0

This is fantastic! I love that it's good at many points on the curve (though I suspect optimal at 3), has a green feel, and still rewards multicolour. And hey, its full five colour mode is not that far off from Fusion Elemental.

Or trample?
I made a couple guys like this ages back that I thought were entirely too powerful but I think now you need haste or trample or provoke on a big dumb idiot to make them feel worth the investment in formats with strong access to card advantage and tempo advantageous removal.

My guys were:
A) An artifact creature version of kird, nacatal, m13 cycle that got a boon for each land type among guys you control. This could easily be turned into a green creature at any sort of cost.

B) An artifact 5/5 for {5} that had an ability for each {W},{U},{B},{R},{G} (ie. {R}: +1/+0 until end of turn) so it was a midranged guy / finisher for whatever type of deck you were playing, great fun with off colour duals.

Different dynamics but a similar idea.

Here's my submission:

Sun's Touched Hydra {X}{G}
Creature - Hydra (R)
Trample
Sun's Touched Hydra enters the battlefield with 2 +1/+1 counters for each colour spent to cast it.
0/0

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
design challenge:
i need a handful of cards that
1) would be valued higher by control decks than other decks
2) aren't just card draw (though if modal one side can be so)
3) aren't just removal that midrange decks just will pick up just as much as control
4) aren't just 6 drops

suggesting actual cards is fine too.

Innocent Blood is absolutely my favorite example in this category, with double points for it working in Zombie decks. Weird to find cards that work in hardcore aggro or control, but not midrange.