General Decks that have 3-0'd your cube

Eric, I think I may have a problem
2-0-1'd with this the other day in a monolith cube

Strix Ultimatum

I loved this deck but it was reallllllly painful to play and all the games felt hard fought. It was so hard fighting through any lifegain or deciding when to get aggressive as your life total was something you had a hard time keeping up.

I lost a game to everyone I played. The deck didn't really do anything particularly degenerate where other decks did and maybe I should have MD more counterspells.

You do damage really slowly and most of the decks I played felt more inevitable than me unless I was playing very well. Like the decision to start committing damage to attacking with things instead of blocking, or committing mana to man lands instead of playing defensive is usually kinda tense. Game 1s especially.

Your attackers are all really puny and easy to deal with too, except for epochrasite which has always been my main man. You really lean on bonfine, command and ultimatum.

Sadly I never got to Ultimatum my snapcaster and then snapcaster the ultimatum....

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Today I ran my second 8-man cube draft of the week. None of the players who played Tuesday (except for me) were in today's draft. That's kind of special.

But what was more special was our PT player's day. He went 5-0 in a Standard tournament, 3-0 in draft, then 3-0'd my cube with this brew. It's Meloku-Opposition with a Tezzeret subtheme and Gaea's Cradle, tied together by Demonic Tutor, which really helped him direct his deck into one theatre or another.

BUG Tezokusition

I went 2-1 with another UR Tempo deck, which I'll post tomorrow.

Ultimate Trump Card

This deck was super nutty and just felt like the ultimate trump to whatever my opponents were doing. The sideboard had relevant cards that I swapped in and out depending on what the matchup was.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
A few of you asked to see what a laboratory maniac deck looks like, and since I managed to draft one tonight, I thought I would post it--and yes, it was a blast to play. This was my first time with the deck, and it was very challenging, reminding me a bit of pod in modern where you are a solid value deck, but sometimes you just go off and kill someone.

It was the most fun I've had with sun titan as he gets back laboratory maniac, altar of dementia, and Skaab Ruinator. Combined with dread return and Corpse connoisseur, it was pretty open ended the types of plays you could setup, and very difficult to just shut the deck down.

Laboratory Maniac Value Control

Laz

Developer
A few of you asked to see what a laboratory maniac deck looks like, and since I managed to draft one tonight, I thought I would post it--and yes, it was a blast to play. This was my first time with the deck, and it was very challenging, reminding me a bit of pod in modern where you are a solid value deck, but sometimes you just go off and kill someone.

It was the most fun I've had with sun titan as he gets back laboratory maniac, altar of dementia, and Skaab Ruinator. Combined with dread return and Corpse connoisseur, it was pretty open ended the types of plays you could setup, and very difficult to just shut the deck down.

<DECK>

Wow, that looks like a very fun one to play, although it looks like Dread Return is basically holding the whole thing together in terms of redundancy. I also love the fact that Restoration Angel flickering Armored Skaab could be legitimately scary for your opponent.

CML

Contributor

Ultimate Trump Card

This deck was super nutty and just felt like the ultimate trump to whatever my opponents were doing. The sideboard had relevant cards that I swapped in and out depending on what the matchup was.

jesus christ recurring nightmare!

posted at 3:48 AM after skirting a massive pileup near my house that certainly resulted in death

CML

Contributor
any interest in a GP portland report for Cube people? my team's great insight into the format was that cheap cards were intrinsically far more powerful than all but the bombiest expensive spells, which might have been impossible to figure out without the ruthless "cut everything that costs 4" mentality we have around here. my team barely missed day 2 at 6-2-1 with a terrible pool but I was able to play this to an 8-1 record, which wasn't enough and I probably punted in the loss -- the deck was routinely outperforming my friend's deck that went 7-2 day 1 with Chandra, Cone of Flame, and Soul of Zendikar.

M15 Cube Red

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
4 man 3-0 Deck was BUG Ramp. 2-1 (me) was RWB control, 1-2 was WG aura/human, 0-3 was RG beats.

I don't remember the lands. This might no have been the exact main deck. He also had Young Wolf and Grim Affliction that saw play out of the sideboard or might have been maindeck in place of Safekeeper and Boneshredder. Affliction is {1}{B} either way.

Skulker never got a counter on it, which is a decent sign of its power level. Yavimaya Dryad is still amazing. Reclamation Sage's "May" clause has already been important in a game. Ant Queen kinda sucks, but in small pools, you make do. He didn't take swarmyard. Pharika got GSZ'd for in a game and it wasn't a stupid decision. I had a decent matchup against the deck, but Spreading Seas soundly punished my 3 color mana base in game two and even with 10 (!) removal spells I couldn't control his ramp.

Bug Ramp

4 man 3-0 Deck was BUG Ramp. 2-1 (me) was RWB control, 1-2 was WG aura/human, 0-3 was RG beats.

I don't remember the lands. This might no have been the exact main deck. He also had Young Wolf and Grim Affliction that saw play out of the sideboard or might have been maindeck in place of Safekeeper and Boneshredder. Affliction is {1}{B} either way.

Skulker never got a counter on it, which is a decent sign of its power level. Yavimaya Dryad is still amazing. Reclamation Sage's "May" clause has already been important in a game. Ant Queen kinda sucks, but in small pools, you make do. He didn't take swarmyard. Pharika got GSZ'd for in a game and it wasn't a stupid decision. I had a decent matchup against the deck, but Spreading Seas soundly punished my 3 color mana base in game two and even with 10 (!) removal spells I couldn't control his ramp.

Bug Ramp

I really like the idea of a bug ramp deck but this one looks really weird. I feel like it's been a long time since I saw a deck less suited to Lightning Greaves. The Elvish Demistify is also kinda curious but I could see in this day in age how it might be less awful than it used to be, though one would think you'd be cool with zenith + sage. Pharika is also supes weird but I guess I can't argue with results!

Hows Pharika been anyway? I heard mainly bemoaning about that card.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Well, my cube runs over 100 non-god enchants, so Lyrist is a pretty solid pick. I'm considering shaving off the tap symbol like I did on Tragic Poet to make it more consistent with Ronom Unicorn. I think the Greaves were easily the worst card in the deck and he should have been playing whichever black removal card wasn't in the main deck in the main deck (or the Condescend in his board!). Pharika is pretty decent, I mean its not ophiomancer (which I don't run), but a deck with 19 creatures, most of which are disposable thats a lot of snakes. She swung as a 7/7 in one game thanks to Liege.

Also remember this is a 4 man draft (32 pick westchester) so that means you're bound to get some marginal includes. We usually do 40 picks, but time was an issue.

CML

Contributor
Well, my cube runs over 100 non-god enchants, so Lyrist is a pretty solid pick. I'm considering shaving off the tap symbol like I did on Tragic Poet to make it more consistent with Ronom Unicorn. I think the Greaves were easily the worst card in the deck and he should have been playing whichever black removal card wasn't in the main deck in the main deck (or the Condescend in his board!). Pharika is pretty decent, I mean its not ophiomancer (which I don't run), but a deck with 19 creatures, most of which are disposable thats a lot of snakes. She swung as a 7/7 in one game thanks to Liege.

Also remember this is a 4 man draft (32 pick westchester) so that means you're bound to get some marginal includes. We usually do 40 picks, but time was an issue.

so many green queens call me the stonewall jackson of christopher street

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
This was a sweet little control brew and my first foray into the world of burning vengeance control. The deck had the ability to go infinite with runic rep + memory's journey, wipe the board with mystical tutor->terminus, and keep the yard flush with Resto + Armored skaab. Memory's journey and ghoulcaller's bell is disruption that some decks in this format just struggle against.

4-color Burning Vengeance Control

Sadly, I ended up getting comboed out by this guy, when he "went off" with corpse connoisseur, ashnod's altar, and kessig cagebreakers. That is evidently a thing.

The Rock

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, that was a little abnormal. I kept on getting cut on stuff in the draft so the curve ended up bulging at 3.

I am really skewed on 3 drops in my blue section. However, supposedly having more threes than twos is supposed to speed up a format, so maybe thats ok?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb

wu Control

The unknown card is a custom {W}{U} dual. See attachment. I cruised through my three rounds, 2-0 each time. I played a good lot of matches against my round 2 opponent (mono red smokestack) afterwards though and lost about half the games, so that was a bit of a tossup and definitely not as lopsides as those first two games suggested :)

I think I want to remove Karn from my cube. It's just so soulcrushing to see it enter the battlefield under your opponent's control when you're just about to claw your way back into the game. Parallax Wave was super awesome every time I cast it. Exiling your own etb creatures for a surprise second activation is priceless :D

Attachments

• Blessed Retreat.JPG
    Blessed Retreat.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 27