Sets [KTK] Khans of Tarkir Spoilers

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
http://mythicspoiler.com/ktk/cards/quietcontemplation.jpg

Good enough for spells matter theme?

FlowerSunRain, would this work in your cube? It's an enchantment that abuses auras that bounce themselves.

It compares best with Icy I suppose. It seems fun. Better then the red one, which isn't the worst. I really hope they make a white version (to complete the 3 color theme) that isn't terrible. I've got a new idea for a cube revision that will hopefully be able to help fit cards like this and Military Intelligence in.

It seems they saved the awesomeness for week two, Jeskai Ascendancy and Haruspex both seem pretty awesome. A fully implemented sacrifice theme seems eminent.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
It compares best with Icy I suppose. It seems fun. Better then the red one, which isn't the worst. I really hope they make a white version (to complete the 3 color theme) that isn't terrible. I've got a new idea for a cube revision that will hopefully be able to help fit cards like this and Military Intelligence in.

It seems they saved the awesomeness for week two, Jeskai Ascendancy and Haruspex both seem pretty awesome. A fully implemented sacrifice theme seems eminent.

Also the new reassembling raidcrawler is amazing

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
The main difficulty will be deciding if and how to implement the sweet 3 color cards. Polycube might be a good approach, but I'm thinking about an alternative.

I think the doubling of fetches and shocklands sounds fine. Possibly add a cycle of the tri-lands or a cycle of mana-fixing artifact dudes?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I am probably going up to 450 cards to accommodate a larger gold section. Shift the temples from utility draft to cube, then add the trilands to the utility draft.

If we have a 360 cube, with 40 slots taken by land and about 20 taken by decent mana source artifacts, would the 300 spaces left be enough? If we did things symmetrically, we could have 20 tri-color cards and maybe about 50 two color cards. That's 70 gold cards, and for ridiculousness's sake, let's throw in 10 or so more artifacts that have some flexibility to them without being mana sources. That would leave us with about 45 cards for each mono-colored section. I think that as long as there's about 40 cards per color in the mono sections, this could work...

grimharuspex.jpg

The 3 crop in question.
Also: DO WANT. GIVE IT TO ME NAU!

That card is so close to being strong! I bet most crawler cubes will love it though. I'm getting skullclampy visions.

I'm really curious about this card guys, it seems amazing with fetches in the format or in any format with a Thought Scour like card. Kinda looks like goyf or Serra Avenger.

hootingmandrills.jpg

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Trample is a strong word. This card is TWO mana cheaper then tombstalker and loses 1/1 and flying for trample? Seems solid in a fetch filled world.

I like the idea of turn 1 fetch, thought scour into turn 2 fetch, then this guy. But more realistically, this guy will be 3 or 4 mana...

I like the idea of turn 1 fetch, thought scour into turn 2 fetch, then this guy. But more realistically, this guy will be 3 or 4 mana...
I don't know if this is the kind of card I'm trying to cast at my first opportunity every time. I might hold it till I have nothing better to play so that it's better for my tempo.

It's major downsides are that it plays poorly with flashback etc and it will be rough to have in multiples in your opener.

who was it who suggested running tons of Vivid lands and Reflecting Pools?
Ew, that reminds of me of what some people's peasant cubes look like. Man just give people world knit if you want them to have access to every colour so bad, it's a lot less curve hazardous.

I play the vivids and have been trying to max out the five colour lands to make the lands more viable to a multitude of decks. It's working we'll but I think I need more mana fixing overall. Going to tweak and see how I get on. I don't think the vivids are bad, depends on the speed you are aiming for.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Reflecting pool/vivids might be an okay way to go, but they're slow lands.

3 color cards seem to go really well with 5 color lands, but I think I prefer something like city of brass or shimmering grotto (if it were good). they fill the same roll plateau or blood crypt would in a deck, but also let you splash for your 3rd color nicely without being absolutly horrendous (like running a singleton mountain in a UG deck for maelstrom wanderer)

Would you keep this?

Probably not a mulligan if that mountain is a city of brass. (Or a vivid, but while they work I don't like vivids the rest of the time)

That hand is amazing unless your opponent can do 1 damage to a creature.
Also Kodama's Reach is straight better than cultivate in cube and I recommend running two copies of that instead of the reach/cultivate.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
The thing with having a heavy concentration of Vivids and Pools is that it encourages you to play all five colours - why stop at three?

A lot of our cubes on here already encourage and reward three-colour decks, what with their heavy density of fetchs, duals, and shocks. To be sure, the decks that tend to do well in my draft are often three colours; the mono and two colour decks suffer for not being greedy enough, which is something that I'm still learning to absorb, as it goes against the lessons ingrained in us from playing retail limited. It would probably only take an additional cycle of dual lands to encourage the majority of our playgroups' drafters to go three-colour, rather than having a number of people play it safe and stick to two-colour.

The thing is, though, playing a three-colour deck still doesn't encourage people to draft three-colour cards. I might end up going BUG, but am I really taking Sultai Charm P1P4, when I can safely take the mono-blue or mono-black card and keep my options open early? I sometimes find that I think I've drafted one particular colour combination - say, Bant - but when I take a look at my card pool, it turns out that my blue is weaker than my black, and I'm actually Junk. Taking a Bant Charm in the middle of pack two would have been worse in that situation than almost any other mono-colour, or even two-colour, option.

My completely untested theory is that you need to reward players for taking narrower gold cards by establishing a hierarchy of power: weak mono-colour, stronger two-colour, very strong three-colour. This would let people have a payoff for taking risks mid-draft, as opposed to the usual strategy of trying to stay open as long as possible. I don't know whether this hierarchy would lead to good draft dynamics, as this itself is poison principle in a way. But I think getting a drafter of yours to cast Jeskai Charm will take more drastic measures than tossing in some tri-lands, and this is one idea.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I haven't ironed out the details of it yet, but my idea is to change the opportunity cost of taking a multicolored card as opposed to a monocolor one, similar to how by taking all of the land out of my cube (and drafting them separately) the opportunity cost of those is removed. The trick here is that while everyone wants land, not everyone wants gold cards (and they definitely don't want them in equal amounts), so the execution needs to be different.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
That hand is amazing unless your opponent can do 1 damage to a creature.
Also Kodama's Reach is straight better than cultivate in cube and I recommend running two copies of that instead of the reach/cultivate.

Ah, but you forget the best strictly better argument ever: Art!
You did notice the lack of green right?