Sets [KTK] Khans of Tarkir Spoilers

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The winner in the category of "card for a slot I really didn't need any more cards in, but damn this thing is sweet and I'm going to run it" is:

635458144624311402.jpeg

Yeah, but then this becomes an auto-include:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
A 5/4 flying for four is already plenty playable. I have half a mind to up the number of gold spells in my cube again.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So....am I the only one who likes the Mardu Demon?

Rabblemaster just gets more and more appealing...

I do too, but I don't know if I like him enough.
I just cut malestrom wanderer too. Cruel and Nacatl are the only surviving 3color cards.

I love all these designs, but are there enough awesome ones for me to change the fixing my cube offers so my drafters will play them?
And considering this set is all the 3 color cards we'll get (khans block isn't explicitly wedge) do I bother?

Great Idea:

2x Fetchlands
2x Duals
1x Filter lands.

The saturation of fetches and duals would lead to being able to make extra use out of snatched up filter lands. The versatility of the fetchlands is key here. Life payment would cease to be so problematic and it would be easy to draft around potential 3 colour cards. You could go deeper on the filter lands if you were really inclined or had a big cube.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I've done something similar (2x fetches, 2x shocks, 1x wwk manlands, 1x enemy filters), and found the filter lands surprisingly underwhelming. Part of the problem is that filter lands can be awkward in anything other than strict two-colour decks, because of the requirement to put a coloured mana into them. For example, a WB deck splashing R will find Rugged Prairie to be all kinds of awkward, especially in the opener.

Temples might fill this role just fine, though.

Well Eric, I'm talking about trying to support a multicolour format. Shocks are totally not duals when it comes to fetchlands too. That's something I've learned my lessons on.

I'm really sick of hearing people defending formats with shitty fixing because cluestones etc are supposed to be desperation picks and the game is fucked up when people take fixing over gold bombs. If there is anything I've learned from cubing it's that when you make fixing strong and available, you are usually not subject to a flood of 4 colour control decks, you get like 10x more freedom during the draft and you learn how to draft only the fixing you need and you NEVER FEEL DESPERATE.
/endrant

I shouldn't even get started on what design article indoctrinated players think RGD draft was like.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I like the role shocks play as opposed to duals in my cube. The way they feel in play is more like a reward for playing fewer colors then a punishment for playing more colors. Its not like I'm running ankh or winter orb to punish decks for having the audacity to try to get 5 lands in play and paying too life to get your third color on curve feels like a calculated deckbuilding choice, not a kick in the junk.

I like the role shocks play as opposed to duals in my cube. The way they feel in play is more like a reward for playing fewer colors then a punishment for playing more colors. Its not like I'm running ankh or winter orb to punish decks for having the audacity to try to get 5 lands in play and paying too life to get your third color on curve feels like a calculated deckbuilding choice, not a kick in the junk.
Yeah I'm just trying to experiment with the "gold cube" problem and 3 colour inclusions. I'm not attacking your choice to make colour fixing costly.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Yeah I'm just trying to experiment with the "gold cube" problem and 3 colour inclusions. I'm not attacking your choice to make colour fixing costly.

While not a gold cube, my cube is rather multicolor friendly and assuming this hypothetical gold cube isn't balls to the walls fast, shocks are probably fine. That said, if the idea of the gold cube is to have every deck playing as many colors as they want with as little cost as possible it could certainly be valid to believe that playing shocks as opposed to duals is contrary to the spirit of the format.

I think you'll find very few decks in healthy formats will try to play "as many colours as they want" (read: all). Remember this is a draft format, you only have so many picks, and you can't always play like standard jund decks waiting to draw the right half of your deck if the format has any amount of consistency. Legacy can also be a great example of this, even if you don't expect too much colour hate, even if you have unlimited access to fairly painless fixing, people realize they must regulate their ambitions to some extent, and strong consistent decks will usually do that.

I think you guys are looking at the parts but not the whole. duals over shocks has a lot of implications on how you can lean on your fetches for minor jobs and other things like figuring out how many filter lands you can run, activating off colour shit like man-duals, kickers etc, using off colour sides of fetchlands.

A shock from a fetch puts a real price tag on that minor tom foolery and makes your 3 colour decks really into looking for lifegain (read: White or Green).

Anyway this shit is offtopic. I'm just saying there are ways we could be making it easier to draft 3 colour cards. Duals help in this respect not only in the decks they are in, but in the ease they confer during the drafting process.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Well Eric, I'm talking about trying to support a multicolour format. Shocks are totally not duals when it comes to fetchlands too. That's something I've learned my lessons on.
Filter lands don't address the problem of supporting a multicolour format, though. Again, they're at their best in strictly two-colour decks.

Vivids, now, though. Or even tri-lands!

yeah as I said the life is part of the problem, but thankfully duals help with that, and free up more of the side bonuses of having typed duals and fetches in your pile without really demanding you try to go into another colour to justify the pick and the life/tempo loss.

CML

Contributor
a neglected gripe against Khans is how these cards are not only 3-color monstrosities, but they're also midrange as fuck