Sets [KTK] Khans of Tarkir Spoilers

Is Zur the enchanter too parasitic or do we have enough enchantment creatures and good enchantments to make him awesome without much help?

So, with the full spoiler, what are you planning to test?

en_zszbf6ws4z.png
How many warriors you got?

And how many of them are not red? I checked mine, and have 8 warriors in my gutted cube, 6 of them being red.

Reactions: CML
13, also mostly red (though it does hit Vampire Lacerator and Lifebane Zombie, but it's still 3 power for two mana, and a Human, which I'm pushing in my Cube.

Then again, it does signal to drafters that there might be a Warrior deck in my cube, not just some incidental synergies on a 3-power beater...probably not worth running for that alone.

The Lacerator > Chief of the Edge > Lifebane curve-out would be pretty dirty though.

More creature class and type tribal diversity can be kinda limiting in my opinion. I wonder why wizards feels the need to have so many cleric elephants and goblin berserkers and elf scouts running around.

Recently I was considering a card like this:

Rebel Strategist {2}{R/W}
Creature - Goblin Rebel
{X}, {T}: Search your library for a goblin or rebel with converted mana cost less than X.
1/3

Say if you were to have a rebel theme or something, but man does tribal feel too diverse to be exciting now.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So, with the full spoiler, what are you planning to test?
I have more than 50 cards picked out to test, but I can only add 20 images in a post :) This set is looking pretty fun. I might finally get around to include morph in my cube. Up until now there weren't enough quality creatures. I feel you need at least 2 in each color, otherwise it isn't going to be much of a bluff.

Cards I am most exited about so far:

en_1qs5rloko4.png
en_mjpwadzslx.png
en_pq5jweigrq.png
en_pg82ix0vu3.png
en_hj6h524835.png
en_7vrsv3uzqp.png
en_jxefvg7tq8.png
en_1zoro0dvow.png
en_xv2mtiyyy4.png
en_uvhggfnjds.png
en_20vzn410h2.png
en_cjzmf7divp.png
en_plsbs4k6jr.png
en_806hp0rpmp.png
en_da39yq7ru8.png
en_unvr5e7gfs.png
en_c7xd8iloc0.png
en_y11uj54lgh.png
en_im852p39ux.png
en_tvy1gqxcce.png

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Considering:

en_hj6h524835.png

yes yes yes

en_4qtdxrspn4.png

I really like this one but I haven't seen anyone else talk about it.

en_x4p59deuyk.png

this one is cool as far as dumb animals that cost >5 go

en_jxefvg7tq8.png

obv

en_71hnw1cpsm.png

basically a gift to all of us

en_rzzbzhif18.png

finally, the Kalastria Highborn that Wall Tribal desperately needed!

en_qwoz1b8jbm.png

'Haze of Rage in Modern' PART 2 CML

en_jd5w4y8jud.png

great card, powerful and flavourful without being oppressive

en_cjzmf7divp.png

if your red aggro deck needs another 2-drop that attacks or blocks this qualifies

and then a bunch of sweet gold cards that really need their own Cube

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I like the delve cards and I think a minitheme is possible here. Empty the pits might suck (probably? definitely?), but the blue ones seem strong and green ones useful. The anti-synergy with other graveyard related plans is the biggest hurdle, but even if the incentive cards inflict, the enablers have great crossover. Gotta pick the right ones and can't pick too many. I mean, a deck only has 40 cards, right? I do wish the delve reward card was more then just a generic 3 color 5 mana beater.
murderouscut.jpg
deaddrop.jpg
hootingmandrills.jpg
treasurecruise1.jpg
digthroughtime.jpg
becomeimmense.jpg
rakshasavizier2.jpg

This guy kicks ridiculous amounts of ass. Him and his best bro Ajani's Pridemate will be terrorizing my cube for years to come. I like his red counter part too. She kicks less ass, but one drops that can move the chains are ok by me. The blue one is on theme too and is definitely decent, but we'll see how it plays in practice. Overall <3 Prowess.
seekeroftheway.jpg
monasteryswiftspear1.jpg
jeskaielder1.jpg

These are some sweet +1/+1 counter incentive cards that don't completely suck by themselves. They probably won't all hang around, but some of them will.
highsentinelsofarashin1.jpg
abzanfalconer3.jpg
tuskguardcaptain1.jpg
hardenedscales.jpg
ainokbondkin.jpg

The black ones, however don't seem to do much, but Oona's blackguard just keeps getting better.

We got some grindy game goodies:
bloodsoakedchampion.jpg
grimharuspex.jpg
sultaiflayer.jpg

There's this hydra who I don't have any real reason for liking, but fuck it, he's awesome.
hoodedhydra.jpg

CML

Contributor
dom's post is pretty spot-on, except the 0/3 is a piece of shit. Anyone who's played with Font of Fertility knows that the extra mana seems so meaningless and just matters a ton in reality

Zur, though, is the exact kind of themeless thematic card (i.e. requires no explicit support + is fun to draft and draft around) most every Cube wants. But I had to take him out because ... he costs 3 colors. That should give you guys an idea of what nearly all the gold cards in this set are up against.

He seems good enough, but how many enchantment do you want or need to run in order for him to feel "worth it"? Cuz I'm trying to at least assemble a skeleton of a decent multicolor cube with tri-colored cards. (Throw me some enchantment examples that fit into this idea well)

I won't lie, I always dread the "one card per line" posts because it makes these threads incredibly 'long.'

I didn't even realize they fixed wild guess's mana cost before someone pointed it out. Is that good now? I remember it only getting hate for {R}{R}

Lol anotak basically made this git!
theirs:
en_cgbuswh0rg.png

mine:
karmic guide still sucks {3}{W}
Creature - Human Knight
Vigilance
When ~ enters the battlefield, return up to two target creature cards with converted mana cost 2 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield.
2/2

perhaps theirs is more fair

Geez, reanimating 2 two drops and getting a vigilant 2/2 for 4 is crazy value. It's like a better Ranger of Eos.

Maybe if it was {2}{B}{W} as a 2/2 or {3}{B}{W} for a 3/3 it would be more fair. Way too splashy as is.

So how many people are going to add a Shard cycle to their cubes now? My brain tells me that can only hurt drafts, but I'm curious what the general consensus is.

At 400, I'm currently running 20 guild cards and 15 pseudo multi-colored cards (combination of hybrid, multi-colored flashback, and split cards - all slotted in the mono colored section of the cube). To do a wedge cycle, I'd have to cut 10 of my 40 colorless cards I think, which I could probably make happen honestly (there's plenty of fringe stuff in that section especially at the higber CC).

But is this urge just because there is new shiny available (and a weird urge to find a reason to run Lightning Angel again)?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
It would be such a redesign, and it would change my meta so much, that I would prefer just to make a gold cube if I were going that route. I'm also worried patching in shards might make the draft feel rigid for my players.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
So how many people are going to add a Shard cycle to their cubes now? My brain tells me that can only hurt drafts, but I'm curious what the general consensus is.

At 400, I'm currently running 20 guild cards and 15 pseudo multi-colored cards (combination of hybrid, multi-colored flashback, and split cards - all slotted in the mono colored section of the cube). To do a wedge cycle, I'd have to cut 10 of my 40 colorless cards I think, which I could probably make happen honestly (there's plenty of fringe stuff in that section especially at the higber CC).

But is this urge just because there is new shiny available (and a weird urge to find a reason to run Lightning Angel again)?

Why would you add 10?

Why would you add 10?

Balance I guess. I'd want to represent all the combinations in some way. I suppose I could come up with some other algorithm that took into account number of mana symbols for each color (and balance things that way - not by cards). But I don't know how I would make that work honestly.

I think I'm just bored.

cycles can be really good/strong indicators of where to go in drafting, and fulfill a sense of symmetry in players, and in some cases can be a positive thing for balance.
but the cycle better have a damn good place and reason for being there. few people would argue against running say all 10 fetches if you are already running 1 of the fetches. cycles for the sake of cycles (which is most of them) are just awful.

cycling on the other hand is pretty cool in general

i was just referring to any cycle, blind completion of cycles is awful.
i haven't seen anyone complete the cycles that lightning bolt, tolarian academy, and cranial plating are in for cube but lol if someone did

i think running all 5 titans is fine if you are running 1 of the titans, but if you see 1 titan people dont expect all 5. on the other hand, if you run 4 out of 5 titans that might be a bit weird for players if they find out the 5th one is missing. but if you run 1 arid mesa, people generally will expect the other 9 fetches.