GBS

Did everyone have a nice Canada Day weekend // Gay Pride weekend? Surely those are big relevant things to people outside of Toronto.

CML

Contributor
i had to move my birthday after-party from the gay yupster hood to the straight yupster hood. i hear it was great, not my scene unfortunately and there's little i can do about that. someone in our cube thread went, though, and you guys will LOVE this:

[Redacted]
Ugh I should not invite people from Magic to see me at Pride. This cannot end well. #embarrassing Ugh also how do I get someone whose favorite card is Venser the Planeswalker (and not for the game-ending -1) to enjoy playing Magic against me? I have been trying for ages but he isn't a Spike

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
We drafted tonight and I really didn't want to play Magic after a really long work day. Forced UWR tempo. By pick 4 I had Ral Zarek, Lightning Helix, Geist of Saint Traft and a fetchland. 3 - 0. Moorland Haunt is really good. Halimar Depths is fantastic. Figure of Destiny is OP.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
We now have an MTGO clan. "RiptideLab". Join away!

P.S. My MTGO name is "Kers" if anybody is feeling friendly.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I find the assortment of removal spells in Standard right now to be really interesting. The way Wizards has planned the metagame around Pillar of Flame is super neat.

It's more like they planned all their creatures to be spells or be really resistant to removal, and no removal spell so far really present a significant tempo gain or lasting answer to these diverse critters.

I do like that it has remained effective. It's sorta sweet but I think it's like their fallback before finalization. Worried about it being too much trouble, we can always just make it vulnerable to pillar. Oh okay, that'll do.

Loving that UB and BG have more interesting spells. It's been a long time since I felt like UB had instants that felt right.

CML

Contributor
^^^ hooray!

voice seemed kinda meh in the ptq yesterday. like of course i played 4 and didnt really wanna side it out but it's pretty low-impact in a lot of matchups and in a lot of decks. in particular i'm pretty sure Junk Reanimator should play 0 in the 75

CML

Contributor
as part of my neverending "lower the curve and make cube like a whimsical constructed where it's always christmas" initiative im gonna try doubling up on cantrips this week (brainstorm, ponder, preordain). anyone else tried this?

CML

Contributor
but if i cut other blue cards to make room for them ... i guess we'll see. i remember earlier i was an advocate of no cantrips in cube cuz they weren't worth the trouble, and that viewpoint still seems reasonable to me if vaguely wrongish

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
but if i cut other blue cards to make room for them ... i guess we'll see. i remember earlier i was an advocate of no cantrips in cube cuz they weren't worth the trouble, and that viewpoint still seems reasonable to me if vaguely wrongish

What do you define as trouble? Even Gitaxian Probe sees play in non-Cabal Therapy decks here. That may not be correct, but people love their cantrips when it comes to the deckbuilding phase.

CML

Contributor
trouble = slot, i thought 'f it ill put some real cards in there.' you know how casual players hate shelling out for stuff like misty rainforest cuz 'it's just a land?' same idea. f cantrips we want spellz!!

your observation is interesting as even with the ~7 lands picked per person here we end up with so many playables that we make tons of cuts and cantrips used to be often those to go. i think the nature of the cube has changed though to the point where people might get down with it

ps i cut mana leak out of spite and boredom

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I turned on the TV in Spain, and the first thing on is a game show where they are playing "Los Ninos del Saco", game where the parents have to try and guess what an image is. To do so, the kids roll around in green-screen sleeping bags in some square area. Wherever their sleeping bag is at any moment, the picture is projected, so the parents are yelling at kids to roll in certain directions. Basically it looks like this:
27774_prueba-los-ninos-del-saco.jpg

I changed the channel and it was a replay of Arsenal losing to Barcelona in the Champions League final in 2006. The one where their goalie got a red card in the opening minutes. Bad memories.

CML

Contributor
arsenal attracts the weirdest fans. so far i have met

-the world's most nebbish upper-middle-class kid from college who obsessively posts on FB about every sport, is about to graduate law school, and will probably be quite successful and perhaps even happy and socially skilled
-a girl of that same age whose life is a catalogue of white people problems from divorce to migraines and whose self-confidence-cum-crippling-insecurity mirrors the makeshift NPD of the magic community's most roly-poly villains
-you

what's the common gooner thread yo

btw here is a card everyone should include. a classic from childhood i recalled because i ate a cracker (i mean laughed at my idiot friend who got cornholed by infect this evening)

254.jpg

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I'm looking forward to the wonderful ironic day when we have 100s of people on here all the time, and someone goes and makes like balduviantradingpost.com where they talk cube and complain about us being closed minded because we don't redeisgn all our cards to be double faced or something.