Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I've thought about trying it. It might be pretty narrow, though. I would say you'd have to count it as a UR card to make it worth it.

It would be sorta difficult to just run that as a mid-sized evasive creature in other decks. If you get paired against red and cast it you basically just put ancestral recalls into your opponent's deck.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've thought about trying it. It might be pretty narrow, though. I would say you'd have to count it as a UR card to make it worth it.

It would be sorta difficult to just run that as a mid-sized evasive creature in other decks. If you get paired against red and cast it you basically just put ancestral recalls into your opponent's deck.

While beating down with a relevant threat he can't remove...

I don't like swans, it's an infinite blocker that coincidentally punishes your opponents for drawing cards / self-milling. "Your opponent draws" as a downside has always rubbed me the wrong way in 40-card formats. There are other 4/x flier options in the 4-slot.

How unfair is this guy with flicker-every-turn cards?

This guy-venser was a local control player's favorite combo for as long as they were both in standard.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I don't like swans, it's an infinite blocker that coincidentally punishes your opponents for drawing cards / self-milling. "Your opponent draws" as a downside has always rubbed me the wrong way in 40-card formats. There are other 4/x flier options in the 4-slot.

This guy-venser was a local control player's favorite combo for as long as they were both in standard.

I'd say he's pretty poopy the rest of the time, though a disruptible hard lock is my favorite kind of hard lock

I played him in a pauper deck where I couldn't be sure that I could flicker him every turn, that was extremely fair.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member

Somebody sell me on this. I drafted a BUG graveyard deck a little while ago (after the dragons prerelease) and we played a great three player game. I died to decking, or was forced to die because of the pressure of decking in every game. I didn't have much self mill going on (darkblast) but I had Fact or Fiction and an umber of other cards that helped me rip through my deck. I started to think lab maniac would be awesome.

Yep, you can just slide him into almost any control deck, but especially UB and BUG ones, and have a backup wincon.

I've only used him once (his wincon didn't happen, but he ate single target removal every time he came out) but drafting on Cockatrice I've had many, many durdly control decks that just barely managed to eke out a win before self-decking. Like 0 to 5 cards left in library.

? i'm not trying to make seismic swans work, i just don't understand how this card plays outside of it
I hate that card for being a U/R card that somehow ended up U/W. It's bullshit.
Hey that's one of FlowerSunRain's pinatas! Return it before the party guests get sad. (U/R would be hella)

I'm surprised the card isn't more format-warping. Are there lots of ways to exile it in that block?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor

Somebody sell me on this. I drafted a BUG graveyard deck a little while ago (after the dragons prerelease) and we played a great three player game. I died to decking, or was forced to die because of the pressure of decking in every game. I didn't have much self mill going on (darkblast) but I had Fact or Fiction and an umber of other cards that helped me rip through my deck. I started to think lab maniac would be awesome.

Winning with laboratory maniac is one of the most exciting things you can do in a game of magic i.m.o.

Laz

Developer
Winning with laboratory maniac is one of the most exciting things you can do in a game of magic i.m.o.

Then again, counting the cards in your library, then working out if you can win in 6 turns or the like is pretty great too. I am not sure that I love it when my game comes down to 'well, if this card is not in the bottom 3, I should be fine.', but it is an edge of your seat wild ride (that only the hardest of control decks can give).

How much support does Lab Maniac require? Can you simply throw it into a cube with solid graveyard support and see what your drafters will do with it? That is what I have done in my newest cube, but no playtests of it yet.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I think you'll be fine. You just need to have some sort of instant speed card draw for the "showdown" upkeep phase, and you have a lot of cycling to cover that.

I'm probably not the best person to comment on how much support you need, but I think if you can dig 8 cards in a 40 card draft control deck, that should put you on the path to self-decking.