Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Pretty much any circumstance in a cube with decent power levels. He's good, but not game warping as long as your aggro decks are solid enough. I've had him in my cube from the very start and he's never been oppressive unless the control guy was ahead already. He's very good in a board stall or when you're ahead, but he's not very useful if you're trying to catch up. If decks in your cube can apply a decent amount of pressure by T3-T4, he's completely fine.

I gave that one a rest after using it for 2 years, because i try to have a cube with less obvious windmillslam picks.

If you have stuff like Recurring Nightmare, Elspeth, Knight-Errant, Swords, Balance, Sulfuric Vortex, Natural Order, i can't see why Jace couldn't be in there also.
It isn't "oppressive" as some of those mentioned above and it fits in (m)any deck(s).
Elspeth to me seems more powerful in cube than jace to be honest, you just don't lose with that one. :p

I am probably the only person who does this, but I cut/alter cards that slow games down too much- jace's brainstorm, mirri's guile, top, and similar are real speed bumps to my tournaments, and I just don't feel enabling the minor skill-test of these cards is worth the massive time-sink it afflicts the other 5-7 players with.

I originally sharpied out Jace's 0 but after that just made him even more boring than he already was, honestly.

Over the perfect fit, good lord.

Only cards I have that are actually drawn-on were straight-up donated to me. Mostly signatures of donors, but some doodles as well.

Man equipment sucks

I was thinking earlier today how having colored-artifact equipment would be really useful for cube. I feel like there is a gap between high-powered equipment that is too obviously a 1st pick, due to be being colorless, and weak equipment that is just not quite good enough. On the flip side, there are few auras that have the value worth running when you are risking a 2-for-1. I run Rancor, not because I really like it, but because it's actually useful. A lot of cubes could benefit from strong equipment cards that require some sort of color commitment. It would open up a lot of design space.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Yeah, that's a great, interesting observation. Make equipment too good, and you run the risk of decks of all shapes and sizes running it for pure value (Sword of Feast and Famine and Batterskull being notable culprits here). Make equipment too bad, and no one gives it a whiff. It's really hard to hit that sweet spot for colourless equipment, but slapping some coloured mana onto either the casting cost or the activation might just be the trick. Something like Behemoth Sledge isn't a bad start, and I'm kind of surprised Wizards hasn't gone back to this well more often.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I was thinking earlier today how having colored-artifact equipment would be really useful for cube. I feel like there is a gap between high-powered equipment that is too obviously a 1st pick, due to be being colorless, and weak equipment that is just not quite good enough. On the flip side, there are few auras that have the value worth running when you are risking a 2-for-1. I run Rancor, not because I really like it, but because it's actually useful. A lot of cubes could benefit from strong equipment cards that require some sort of color commitment. It would open up a lot of design space.

Equipment is hard to make. Lucas built this thing that I run (Though it's REALLY good)

tvyAAF3.png

I ran these 4 in a mostly-custom cube for a while. I had a white one too but it ended up too good/very unfun and i removed it and never made an actual replacement, it was a civic saber that gave protection from monocolored creatures for like {1}{W} & {1}{W}. the creature types really mattered in this cube but honestly that was way too much complexity

ParadoxMaskfull_zpsa4904763.jpg

StaffofLightandShadowfull_zps28ea8d20.jpg

MagmaScythefull_zpsafc91532.jpg

ExplorersAxefull_zpsebea1480.jpg

I ran these 4 in a mostly-custom cube for a while. I had a white one too but it ended up too good/very unfun and i removed it and never made an actual replacement, it was a civic saber that gave protection from monocolored creatures for like {1}{W} & {1}{W}. the creature types really mattered in this cube but honestly that was way too much complexity

ParadoxMaskfull_zpsa4904763.jpg

StaffofLightandShadowfull_zps28ea8d20.jpg

MagmaScythefull_zpsafc91532.jpg

ExplorersAxefull_zpsebea1480.jpg

The fuck kind of staff is a Rebel using to bring shit back? Why are wizards wearing masks? Shamans wielding scythes? Explorers aren't scouts anymore?

Laz

Developer
The fuck kind of staff is a Rebel using to bring shit back? Why are wizards wearing masks? Shamans wielding scythes? Explorers aren't scouts anymore?

I know I am suspending my disbelief to play this card game with critter-summoning Planeswalkers, but this just goes too far!

Tempest Remastered? Are you Serious?
Why would they... ugh. Research time

Were you a fan of Tempest, Stronghold, and Exodus? Magic R&D has revisited the 621 cards from these sets and reduced the pool by more than half to pull out the best cards and the best playing archetypes for inclusion in Tempest Remastered. Did you enjoy the buttery smoothness with which Vintage Masters handled in a Draft? Good, because R&D has employed the same attention to detail and fine-tuning in Tempest Remastered. Not only will Tempest Remastered play better than the sum of its parts, it'll look better too.

Right.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

Honestly after doing some research on the mothership about this I'm actually kind of impressed. I wish it was available in paper, but what are you going to do? (Actually the reserved list likely has something to do with that but that's a whole different debate)

There's a lot of good at work here. Going back to old sets that a lot of newer people never played and giving them a once over with everything they've learned in the intervening 10+ years is not a bad way to churn out something fun like conspiracy or commander, without the niche appeal of those products.

I know a lot of people who loved the hell out of VMA draft (And they didn't force mono white each time either!)

on top of that:
  • Bonus points for getting more RKF art in the game
  • Bonus Bonus points for reprinting Wasteland/Mox Diamond/Piles of other stuff without reking standard
  • The rarity shifts seem to be decent this time around. Wasteland is a rare rather than an uncommon, which is likely a bit of a money grab, but not as insane a one as making it mythic.
and lastly
248_MTGTPR_EN.png

Oh mah damn

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, I have to agree, it looks pretty boss. Shame it's not available offline, I would have liked some of those modern frames for my cube.

008_MTGTPR_EN.png
054_MTGTPR_EN.png
089_MTGTPR_EN.png
199_MTGTPR_EN.png
220_MTGTPR_EN.png
248_MTGTPR_EN.png
249_MTGTPR_EN.png