Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

I tried as hard as I could to make that guy look good (Lightning mauler into him? Anyone?) but my players were just not having it- I cannot remember anyone else ever playing it the year it was in my list.

I've actually gotten mixed results with it but eventually removed it for just not seeing play, despite it being pretty cool when it worked. If grinding out attack steps with tiny flying guys or recurring bros is legitimate in your list I'd give it a shot.

I don't think it's really fair to call a no-cap enchantment 'delayed divination' when there's no telling how many cards you'll draw, and while I like the card it hasn't worked out for me in practice. (Though this and curse of predation make my thousand-dork decks much better)

But that's just downright inferior to Bident of Thassa.

I think that depends on your cube. Being Legendary is rarely a problem in cube, but being an artifact can be (there is usually more artifact hate than enchantment hate). Also, that activated ability is going to be very conditional IMO. I admit I've never played either card though.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
what other cards makes a player with islands wanna connect with their creatures? The 'single card' here is some hypothetical "whenever a creature you control deals damage to a player draw a card"

I think at your power level the answer is really nothing. Ninjutsu and prowess are the two mechanics that most reward blue for getting in, and to get any real playable density of those cards you have to be pretty low power. Shu Yun, the silent tempest looks like he could make the cut though, providing you are ok with instant speed double strike.

Laz

Developer
I think looking for an incentive for blue to attack with creatures is trying to find a solution to a completely different problem. I mean, no one is advocating running Druids' Repository to encourage Green to attack. If you want Blue to be turning creatures sideways, you probably need to give the blue creatures (and the blue identity) a more aggressive bent, whether this is through a Delver strategy, a Prowess strategy or a Cloudfin Raptor one.

Depending on the power level, there might be space for a hidden information based blue attacking deck, but I haven't exactly explored the space very much. It probably involves Ninjas and Morphs.

Without changes, I am sure that people will still beat with blue creatures, after all, the 10-turn-Mulldrifter-clock is a long and illustrious tradition that won't be overthrown that easily.

I feel compelled to ask about this despite knowing how narrow it is.

Evoke guys? Cycling? Sac abilities? Discard effects? High density trading?
I mean it's a black card, it goes in black decks, most black decks know how to get guys in the yard right?

4 mana is expensive for a conditional removal spell. I don't see why not in a lower powered environment that can evoke dudes like Shriekmaw, but probably not worth it in your typical cube.

EDIT: Thought it was -X/-X equal to cmc. Toughness makes this way shittier.

Laz

Developer
Evoke guys? Cycling? Sac abilities? Discard effects? High density trading?
I mean it's a black card, it goes in black decks, most black decks know how to get guys in the yard right?

Well, I slotted it right into my Lucre-themed cube...

It gets a card into your hand while rewarding you for playing Cycling cards? What is not to love?

Bonus interaction: Can be Tutored for, then return Dimir House Guard.

I think renewal is more of a constructed card- the toughness clause is real awkward to make it work 100% of the time in the average cubelist. It's very powerful, obviously, but seldom is available to cast if you need to curve into it unless you're running a graveyard deck, and removal spells that only REALLY work in pretty specific archetypes don't sound very good. Spite of Mogis.

Another gripe I have with it is that you can't just return your dude when the board is empty- pretty minor, I know, but it's not hard to imagine a scenario where you need to pull the trigger asap and just can't. Where's the soul manipulation-ish wording?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Creatures are spells to right? Any deck with 23 nonlands and a bunch of creatures that want to attack can profit from it. It's fantastic with dash, rebound and flashback as well!

Now how do we make that card feel less like an archetype pick + occasional us/ug 12th+ plus pick.
Because I see a lot of potential in that card but it seems pigeonholed

Seems like a win-more kind of equipment. Why wouldn't you just play Bonesplitter instead?

If that equipment would place 2 +1+1 counters i would try it.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
For those of you messing around with prowess type stuff, might you consider

?

This is illustrative of the difference between putting storm on a card and putting "if you played another spell this turn..." on a card.

That thing seems real poopy at 1 spell a turn (Doesn't even give bonus the turn you play it)

This is illustrative of the difference between putting storm on a card and putting "if you played another spell this turn..." on a card.

That thing seems real poopy at 1 spell a turn (Doesn't even give bonus the turn you play it)

I like the upside that every instant you can play is now a combat trick. With "if you played another spell this turn...", that would be the only upside when you compare it to Vulshok Morningstar.

That's why I made reference to prowess. Seems interesting with cheap cantrips that some are tweaking their cubes around.

Etc etc.