Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Wow thats a tough one. I like the visual appeal of the second one, because the additional art helps you get more excited about playing the card, but the first one illustrates the actual mechanics of the card better i.m.o. I think I would go with the second one, but if I had newer players I might be tempted to go with the first.

The original one Jonas posted I like the most though.

Is there a way to maybe incorporate the below image that would be better? To express both arts of the card, without having to spend two frames?

rc208_delver_of_abberations.jpg

Part of this is that I just love that art. :oops:

I like this idea. I could do it on gimp, but don't really have time for a couple days.

Laz

Developer
I like this idea. I could do it on gimp, but don't really have time for a couple days.

Something like this (for the Kamigawa-style flip)?
delverflip.png

Edit: Just rotated that. The sense of scale seems wrong for the Insectile Aberration. I may have to leave this one to the more-talented hands of others.

but like this one does more than that, it probably takes 1-2 of your idiots too, or makes you unable to death touch it away.

The thing I dont like about cenobite is that it just locks you out from playing. I'm not keen on cards that let you get back on top of a board state from the back door, and playing this a few turns ahead against an aggresive deck just feels like boring and masturbatory.

I love the art and the flavor on Elesh Norn, but I hate how she plays when she can be powered out early, there is no way to around her, since all your guys are now dead.

Has anyone tried this in their cubes? Maybe more in the lower power ones, but I think it looked interesting in the ROE drafts I saw it. It's a real tempo swing against a slower deck that doesn't want to race and just wants to go long. Makes me want to build a sorcery speed removal cube.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
Oh man, that brings back memories about Rise draft. I remember one time I had a train wreck of a draft, so I just piled all the Lust for Wars into my deck and crossed my fingers. When I would put one on a meaningless creature, my opponent would laugh. By the time I slapped on the second one, that laughter went away pretty quickly.

That format was so good. There were so many avenues to go down.

plus don't people absolutely love Angel of Serenity etc? That card rules! Find me a more interesting white six before arguing over white sevens. I think suntitan is kinda dull if you aren't making sun titan decks available and I also think avatar is Zzzz, though I am excited to see it with Secure the Wastes baby!

I remember one time I had a train wreck of a draft
We've used the term "trainwrecking" before to describe a style of drafting. For example, one might trainwreck slivers in Time Spiral block. As the cards go around, the set of slivers in everyone's packs all stop and pile up in front of you.

Oh man, that brings back memories about Rise draft. I remember one time I had a train wreck of a draft, so I just piled all the Lust for Wars into my deck and crossed my fingers. When I would put one on a meaningless creature, my opponent would laugh. By the time I slapped on the second one, that laughter went away pretty quickly.

That format was so good. There were so many avenues to go down.

The joke was to draft Lust for Sleep and Narcolepsy.... ...have died to that combo back in the day, good times!