Card/Deck Single Card Spotlight

Gonna test out tomorrow:
Liliana-Heretical-Healer-Liliana-Defiant-Necromancer-Origins-Spoilers1.jpg

Seems cool enough, although the hassle with the proxy is a little bit annoying, but oh well.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I think her design is better then Liliana of the Veil. 3 mana Lily is amazing at forcing a game of attrition, but her power level really forces an acceleration of your format that may or may not be palatable. This Liliana focuses on the same war of attrition, but rewards setup and advances your own gameplan rather then strictly screwing over your opponents. I guess you could run both, but they are both kind of in the same niche so its dicey if you want both.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
That emblem with two Kokusho's...

Anyway, I want to like double-faced cards, but they're such a hassle to play with inexperienced players...

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Typically it's not always the best plan to be planning your draft around the night side of a flip card (something that might not happen anyways)

Strawman Drafter said:
"2/3 lifelink that gives me a token and <BENIFIT> when something of mine dies? I don't want to take this card out of the sleeve mid draft to find out what <BENIFIT> is, but that sounds like what my deck is about"

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Typically it's not always the best plan to be planning your draft around the night side of a flip card (something that might not happen anyways)
You are totally right, but transform cards are very hard to gauge for some of my friends. Also, taking it out of my double sleeve is a nightmare...

Laz

Developer
I thought this was what clear sleeves were for? I just put the flip cards in clear sleeves in the middle of the table, and use the placeholder cards that were in the Innistrad & DKA boosters. Sure, it is a tell when a player goes and reads the cards from the middle of the table, but seems just as much of a tell, and less disruptive, than taking cards out of sleeves.

I remember someone around here was making single-faced placeholders for the flip cards.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
I thought this was what clear sleeves were for? I just put the flip cards in clear sleeves in the middle of the table, and use the placeholder cards that were in the Innistrad & DKA boosters. Sure, it is a tell when a player goes and reads the cards from the middle of the table, but seems just as much of a tell, and less disruptive, than taking cards out of sleeves.

I remember someone around here was making single-faced placeholders for the flip cards.

Yeah I do that, I make them like Kamigawa flip cards. It gives you all the information you need while drafting, it works as a placeholder in your deck, you don't even need the real card if you don't care, and new players will think it's a flip card and this will not actually mislead them about what it does.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Ah nice, those are cooler than mine. Let's see... I only run the Delver and the Reckless Waif now, but check these out:
7kNgUXw.png
UzMHMuW.jpg
75kfaZR.jpg
i95Ipo6.jpg
xPB6fL8.jpg
7GUhbPq.jpg

Edit: the border between the images isn't too nice, but it's really easy to do with magic set editor.

If Wizards prints DFC like those posted by Jonas (or even the Kamigawa flip cards), I'd run a couple of them. As it stands though, not a fan. Taking cards in and out of sleeves is bogus. As is having two copies you swap in and out of the game. This is just a stupid mechanic that does not work well with physical cards IMO.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
If Wizards prints DFC like those posted by Jonas (or even the Kamigawa flip cards), I'd run a couple of them. As it stands though, not a fan. Taking cards in and out of sleeves is bogus. As is having two copies you swap in and out of the game. This is just a stupid mechanic that does not work well with physical cards IMO.

You don't swap them. When the placeholder card is in play, just put the real one on top of it. This is what people were doing when we drafted those sets, it works quite well.

How good are cards like

in Riptide-style cubes? Too narrow? Too powerful? They seem like they could give interesting play to Gifts Ungiven or Intuition decks