General Custom Cards: The Lab

Unrelated to the previous cards, I wanted to make a Gravecrawler variant that provided similar threat potential but without being as swingy or reliant on tribal synergy.

Graveyard Cannibal - {B}
Creature - Zombie
Graveyard Cannibal can’t block.
Exile another creature card from your graveyard: You may cast Graveyard Cannibal from your graveyard this turn.
2/1

Saboteur-effect auras and equipment that don't directly boost power definitely seem cool here. I've actually been looking at Shadow Slice & Spiteful Returned as templates to build around skulk in black. Maybe something like this:

Shadow Knifes - {B}
Enchant creature
Enchanted creature has menace.
Whenever enchanted creature attacks, defending player loses 2 life.

The menace stacks with skulk to make it hard to get a profitable block without making it literally unblockable, and the life loss trigger (instead of raw power boost) obviously plays well with how skulk works. Plus I'm always on the lookout for playable auras.

Bursting Egg Sack 4G
Suspend 5, G
Put 5 1/2 spiders with reach into play

Is that appropriately costed?
Well, it's certainly strong as costed, but I'm not sure if that's too strong.
Hard cast, a 5/10 reach for 5 across 5 bodies.
Suspend T1 is a little absurd, imo. T6 5/10 on five bodies, with a 1 mana investment T1.

Closest comparison I could find is Durkwood Baloth, so it doesn't seem out of the ballpark. Interestingly, I don't think there's actually a token making suspend card yet?

I like the idea of doing something on turn one which doesn't impact the board immediately but brings mid game chaos. Also the theme is kinda cool.

I like the idea of doing something on turn one which doesn't impact the board immediately but brings mid game chaos. Also the theme is kinda cool.
It a really cool card and it's bursting with flavor, it's just hard to evaulate. Almost seems like it's a better control card then anything else. T1 suspend this sucker, control the board for 5 more turns, bam army.

It looks really good. The problem with DB in TSP limited (one of Magic's best and deepest limited formats) was always drawing it between turn one and six mana, and having to play the 'how many land will I draw in the next five turns' game to decide if you should Suspend it or not.

The spider egg is a better card on turn one, I think, since it all but guarantees you'll get to take t6 off from developing the board, and maybe t7 also. It's also a better card hardcasted since you're likely to at least 2-for-1 your Villain.

Only costing 4G 'normally' feels a touch low to me and I'd prefer either like 2GGG or 4GG like the Baloth. The doubled toughness makes it much more defensive than the Baloth, but it lets you swing in with some but not all the spiders.

How many turns do your midrange mirrors tend to last?

Regardless of power level, it's just kind of boring, tbh.

Darkweb Weaver - {4}{G}
Creature - Spider
Deathtouch, reach
Suspend 3 - {2} {G}
When ~ enters the battlefield or whenever a time counter is removed from ~ while it's exiled, put a 1/2 green Spider token creature with reach onto the battlefield under your control.
2/5

Weird that suspended creatures have haste, but a suspended token making spell has no such qualms

Yeah, I think it seems a little off because of all the other creatures having haste. What if it was something like:

Hatching snake nest 3GG
Sorcery
Suspend 4-G
Put 4 1/1 snakes into play with deathtouch and haste

Anyway, this is just a fun thought experiement as I'm not really into customs for my cube, but I was just daydreaming about cool suspend options as I think it's a good mechanic.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Suspend is coolest in blue and red, now that surge is a thing. I actually reincluded Riftwing Cloudskate and Rift Bolt for that very reason. They team up nicely with Epochrasite! :)

Holy crap, I just realized one of my customs totally needs to have a faux "suspend" mode.

Jhoira's Command.jpg

That last mode should be "Exile Jhoira's Command with three time counters on it. If it doesn't have suspend, it gains suspend." (or whatever number is fair o_O) Maybe I need to tweak the numbers a bit if I do that. {U}{R}, scry 3, exile top card, something like that.

Anyway, back to your card. I would use "Put four green 1/1 Snake creature tokens with deathtouch onto the battlefield. If you cast ~ from exile, those tokens gain haste until end of turn."

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I've been looking for a {c} support land in white, which currently runs Windbrisk Heights in its utility land slot, which is certainly strong enough, and I saw Kor Haven. Now white can be pretty controlling in my cube, but the two colorless cards (a customized Gelid Shackles and Eldrazi Displacer) lend themselves somewhat better to a more proactive plan I think? Does a reverse Kor Haven seem printable?

Kor Battlegrounds
Land
{T}: Add {c} to your mana pool.
{1}{W}, {T}: Prevent all combat damage that would be dealt by target blocking creature this turn.

???

Yeah, I think Kor Haven is the only current playable 'white' colourless land. Kor Battlegrounds doesn't seem very intuitive. How about prevent all damage to target attacking creature?

Rather than looking at mono colourless coloured lands, what about the guild ones? Wouldn't that fit in with your 'shards' theme better anyway? Green/white has some good/interesting ones for instance:

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, I had Gavony Township in my ULD, but it's really strong and hard to remove. Don't know if I want to try it out again, but I thought about it. I'm more likely to run the RW one though, whatsitsname? Ah, Slayer's Stronghold!

Yeah, I had Gavony Township in my ULD, but it's really strong and hard to remove. Don't know if I want to try it out again, but I thought about it. I'm more likely to run the RW one though, whatsitsname? Ah, Slayer's Stronghold!
I love me some

Last cube session, just a couple of the things that happened (2HG):
-Cast Feldon, pass -> on villian team's attack, use this to give Feldon Haste, use ability to recur PrimeTime. Value.
-Teammate using it as support for my board, hasting up both flametongue kavu and later a silverbladed restoration angel for the beats

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I love me some

Last cube session, just a couple of the things that happened (2HG):
-Cast Feldon, pass -> on villian team's attack, use this to give Feldon Haste, use ability to recur PrimeTime. Value.
-Teammate using it as support for my board, hasting up both flametongue kavu and later a silverbladed restoration angel for the beats

See, these are the interactions I love to hear about. All I've ever seen Gavony Township do is "Hur Dur Dur. I got creatures on the battlefield. Guess I'll grow them! Hur Dur Dur. My creatures are now bigger than yours. Attack!" Sure, it's kinda cute when you can use it with persist creatures, but Kitchen Finks hardly needs the help, does it?

On a completely unrelated note, is it possible to sort by converted mana cost in magic set editor? I looked through the column options and all I found was the "CC" option which isn't what I'm looking for. Under the statistics tab, there's a way to graph by cmc, so the program definitely keeps track of that sort of thing.

On a completely unrelated note, is it possible to sort by converted mana cost in magic set editor? I looked through the column options and all I found was the "CC" option which isn't what I'm looking for. Under the statistics tab, there's a way to graph by cmc, so the program definitely keeps track of that sort of thing.
I don't actually see a way to sort that way, but an interesting "cheat":
1) right click the row of column headers and click "Card List columns"
2) check mark "Illustrator", then OK that
3) preface all your artist names with the cmc (I know this is manual, but eh) Example would be "4 Chris Moeller". When you sort it'll use the number first. This breaks after CMC9

I don't actually see a way to sort that way, but an interesting "cheat":
1) right click the row of column headers and click "Card List columns"
2) check mark "Illustrator", then OK that
3) preface all your artist names with the cmc (I know this is manual, but eh) Example would be "4 Chris Moeller". When you sort it'll use the number first. This breaks after CMC9

Seems legit, but unfortunately, I only have a digital copy of my cube that I play on cockatrice and manage in set editor (its almost all custom cards that I've made with my roommates) and going back and doing this for 400 cards is a little more than I'm up for.