General Custom Cards: The Lab

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Still not named Surgewrithe. 4/10. ;)

Name be damned, it plays like a charm!

Spellwrithe.jpg

I took off turn 4 to burn a Drana and fetch a 4th land, then on turn 5 went Rooftop Sentry (that's the Accorder Paladin + Daring Skyjek mashup) into Nechebe's Command (first two options) to attack for a dizzying (and thrilling) 24 damage! This is aggro at its absolute finest! None of the cards feel too powerful on their own either, it really is kind of aggro combo exploding onto the battlefield unhindered, seeing as my opponent declined to play any removal spells for four turns.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
If they're simple tokens without text I might even go 2/3s

Still good defensively, but not as insane, and they don't pile on as well

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
2/3 seems a bit too much for the mana investment, and I like that they mirror the P/T of the "queen". I'll playtest it a bit and look for the limits :)

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh I meant make the origional and tokens 2/3s :p

Yeah, that's not a three mana card anymore.

Terrible Idea: Planeswalker with flash.
Discuss

This is a dangerous ability in blue because of the interaction between counterspells, and the abilities would have to be rather tame in comparison to other planeswalkers. Also, the abilities can't be too complicated, because that's an extra line. That is, if you want to do this. Maybe something like this?

Havar the Rider.jpg

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
what software is that

is there finally an alternative to cockatrice

Since Onderzeeboot completely ignored you, I thought I should answer this question.
He is using forge. Which is a program where you can do drafts (even with custom sets) and matches against AI opponents.

It isn't perfect. The AI is a little poor, but you expect that with a game as complex as this. But it is a great playground to test things in. I have done a couple of 3x Lorwyn drafts in Forge and they have been great fun. Great way to get used to formats and see how cards play out. Just don't expect to get detailed data.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Since Onderzeeboot completely ignored you, I thought I should answer this question.

I answered him via PM, actually. The thing I love best about it is that you can create your own card if you know what you're doing, so you can actually test with custom cards. That said, I don't link to the program out in the open, and it is not a replacement for real Magic, be it offline or online.

There, that's my politically correct (yet true) answer.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Ok, when you notice you f'ed up, just delete the evidence! Anyway... I am looking for a tiny bit more colorless mana support, in the form of cards with an actual colorless mana symbol in their cost. In particular, I am looking for a 3 drop and a 4 drop to fill out the early curve. What do you think of these?

Inevitable Adversary.jpg Hollow Drifter.jpg

Note to self: All your colorless cards have been using the wrong frame all this time, you idiot!

PS I made these uncommons to get rid of the watermark, not because they are appropriate as an uncommon.

Hollow Drifter is, uh, holy shit, so busted. Yes please I'll take a Frantic Search rider on every fetchland. I actually have no idea how to cost that ability appropriately but {c} over your stock three-mana growing Wind Drake is not the right answer.

Inevitable Adversary is cool. 3/2 maybe so you actually cast it more than once? 3/4 for 3 is getting into Hearthstone stats territory and while it's not unprecedented in recent sets I can't imagine how I'd deal with 3+ in a game.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Hollow Drifter is, uh, holy shit, so busted. Yes please I'll take a Frantic Search rider on every fetchland. I actually have no idea how to cost that ability appropriately but {c} over your stock three-mana growing Wind Drake is not the right answer.
Uh... Wow. I can't believe I missed that interaction when I omitted nonland on purpose. Let's try something else, shall we...

Hollow Drifter.jpg

^ This is kinda... less awesome, isn't it?

Hollow Drifter.jpg

^ Maybe this?

Inevitable Adversary is cool. 3/2 maybe so you actually cast it more than once? 3/4 for 3 is getting into Hearthstone stats territory and while it's not unprecedented in recent sets I can't imagine how I'd deal with 3+ in a game.
"I know," he said with a pained voice, "but I already have two 3/2 colorless eldrazi in my cube, and another one would feel like an oversaturation of that P/T combination. Yes, I know I run 450 cards in my cube, that does not change my feelings!"
In other words, I don't want to make it another 3/2, there has to be another solution, right? Let's start with playtesting and see if it really is annoying I guess?

Squadron Osprey {1}{W}
Creature — Bird
Flying
When Squadron Osprey enters the battlefield, you may search your library for up to three Bird cards, reveal them, put them into your hand, then shuffle your library.
1/1

Squidron Hawk {1}{U}
Creature — Bird Squid
Flying
When Squidron Hawk enters the battlefield, you may search your library for up to three Squid, Octopus, Kraken, or Cephalid cards, reveal them, put them into your hand, then shuffle your library.
1/1

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I challange you to find art for "Bird Squid" :p

I don't know about Bird Squid, but if you make it a Banana Squid I've got just the art for you!

739429479754808971b09baed2e00e68.jpg