General Custom Cards: The Lab

Without reminder text, the triple cycling land is much much cleaner in word count. Could be laid out as four rows.

Add C
Cycle
Landcycle A
Land cycle B

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Without reminder text, the triple cycling land is much much cleaner in word count. Could be laid out as four rows.

Add C
Cycle
Landcycle A
Land cycle B

Yeah, I can't get away with that. Not everyone in my playgroup knows the abilities in and out, so I want the reminder text.

Yeah, I can't get away with that. Not everyone in my playgroup knows the abilities in and out, so I want the reminder text.
Bummer. In that case the trigger might be nicer.

However, the three cycling version lays out the options clearly. The trigger version is more lenticular because there's a leap, however small, in realizing that the ability has the options like that. Important to think about in terms of evaluation while drafting.

#elegance

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
how about a cycle of monocolor scrylands with basiclandcycling 2
That would play awesome, is my guess, but I'm heavily disincentivizing fixing outside the supported five guilds. All the green ramp spells search for basic Forests for example. Also, I need the card to tap for colorless mana to support the Eldrazi madness.

That would play awesome, is my guess, but I'm heavily disincentivizing fixing outside the supported five guilds. All the green ramp spells search for basic Forests for example. Also, I need the card to tap for colorless mana to support the Eldrazi madness.
Can search for wastes. But I get what you are meaning.

I've found the upside of basic land searching outweighs the vestiges. Gives {c} a more clear identity and partnership in Green, and allows my cube to more naturally accept the "sixth color".

Your format may vary, obvs

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Yeah, that sounds like a nice way to set it up. I chose to go the other way though, setting {c} as a truly neutral color by scattering it through all colors, with the help of customs here and there.

I'm pretty wary of cards that can grow exponentially. At least spawnwrithe has to get damage through in combat. This guy can chill on your side of the field until you put 2 spells together. He also makes a very good turn 4 play if you have a cantrip or other 1 manage spell.

Test it! it does take 2-3 turns of having/casting 2 spells a turn to start getting OP, but it is definitely strong. I am a little wary of things that make copies of themselves, though. Killing this permanently looks like it could be a tall order, especially on the T4 this + 1 CMC spell

Test it!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I mean it doubles each turn if triggered yes? Monastary Mentory is better if you're full on storm, but this card is better over more turns and a less explosive deck, which is what limited environments usually have?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I mean it doubles each turn if triggered yes? Monastary Mentory is better if you're full on storm, but this card is better over more turns and a less explosive deck, which is what limited environments usually have?
It's pretty hard to cast two spells for three turns in a row in limited, but even four 2/2's for three mana is already pretty busted, and you can start with two of these in play if you time your one drop correctly. I guess Safra is right, and it needs to be tested, because it could certainly be too strong!

I kinda like the tokens being copies of the creature, the prospect of doubling them each turn is going to get drafters excited. Harder to balance for sure but more of a fresh and unexplored design space. With generic tokens the design gets pretty close to something like Talrand, Sky Summoner.

I'd be trying to draft it along with something like Gitaxian Probe that would let me cast it on curve and still get a token. Then next main phase hopefully go up to four of 'em, at which point it's basically a Pack Rat Army and you can either start attacking or using them to chump and still have enough to profitably double on later turns.

Has mild synergy with stuff like Rebound, and like all good things in life, has synergy with Gravecrawler