General Fight Club

I prefer Pridemate and Cradle over the other two. I'm biased against the lifegain payoffs that require you to gain a specific amount of life in a turn because they are harder to trigger and therefore make the lifegain archetype less consistent.

Thanks guys, I decided to go for Pridemate for it's high flor and Accord for being robust and tempting. I think Cradle is just dlow and also wants you to gain 2+ life at once to be worthwile.

vs

I was amazed by Frenzy's performance on SCG coverage. The ceiling of drawing several cards a turn is bonkers. I'm thinking about replacing Outpost Siege with it but I'm not sure about giving up the alt mode and nonboing with other card draw effects. I don't know how to evaluate the power level of frenzy in cube but the play pattern looks super fun.

While I respect Experimental Frenzy, I still prefer Outpost Siege, as the modal nature of the card allows it to fill other archetypes (Aristocrats, Aggro, etc.) other than a card advantage engine. I look at frenzy and can only see it fill aggressive archetypes that look to empty their hand using a deck relying on a low curve.

It's a unique effect in red, and I probably will test it in time, but I don't see it a cube mainstay. Now I'll await 3 months from now where the card is proven awesome and this comment comes back to haunt me.

Speaking of recently-released red cards, what's the preference on these two?

Speaking of recently-released red cards, what's the preference on these two?

Have yet to test either, will run both in the near future, but if I had to choose I'd go with Cratermaker. Being able to represent a shock on a body + stop future colorless plays until it's dealt with for only 1 mana (and no tapping!) is really good. You can also sandbag it for post-combat shenanigans to clear out an especially big blocker for 2R in one go, can't do that with Pyromancer who requires you to telegraph interaction on board at all times. I do like them both though, if possible I'd look for a way to slot them both in because they give R/x decks additional reach and filtering that they so desperately need.

I prefer Cratermaker. I'm always happy to get some artifact (or enchantment in other cases) removal that is maindeckable and even good with 0 targets. This guy not only has a cool cat in his art, he also fits well into every aggro deck and works with recursion. Also, since he's a goblin, you can pay {1}{R} instead of {1} to shock something with Siege-Gang Commander!

I'm going to try Cratermaker and I'm confident he'll be a mainstay - playable answers to artifacts are always useful, and he's a goblin which does slightly matter in my cube.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Still a big fan of the Pyromancer, but Cratermaker was instrumental in a win-at-1-life in a test match today, involving Genesis. I was able to keep recurring the little goblin, play it, block one attacker, shoot another, and little by little regain control while my opponent failed to find big flyers.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I run a discard theme in Grixis. With most of the payoffs in {U/B}, and most of the enablers in {U/R}. Think...

Reevaluate_small.jpg

With that in mind, which is the more interesting card in my cube?

vs.

In other words, is it right for me to want to go for the synergistic common instead of the powerful rare?

I still like Prophetic Bolt better. It can hit players for one, and it digs for key pieces of a deck. And the damage isn't contingent on having a non-land to discard. Yeah, Bolt wins for me.