General "Looking for a card"-Thread

Well... Magic has a ton of combos. I'm not sure what 2nd-3rd tier means, but surely not Twin...

I run the following Twin package:

I like It this way because the deck isn't very consistent - no redundancy for Splinter Twin, and all cards pivot into other archetypes: blink; fliers, tappers, flash; sacrifice, blink, humans; humans, aggro.

Other two-card combos I know in my cube:

Combos I have run:

Sorry! But, truth to be told, I don't know what direction to give to GW. I tried +1/+1 counters but found it parasitic and not that fun.

Really? I think GW is one of the color pairs with the most options. I run a tokens go wide theme, but counters matter and enchantress seem just as tempting to me.

Dom Harvey

Contributor
If you want cues from Constructed, this article (from years ago, there have been lots of sweet WG decks since then!) is a good start

WG is one of the more diverse colour pairs in my experience; there are enough deep themes that it's tough to choose between them or support several at once:

- +1/+1 counters
- Heroic/Voltron (going tall rather than wide)
- Tokens (going wide rather than tall)
- Lands (mostly a green thing to be fair)
- Flash
- Creature loops/combo (Saffi, Renegade Rallier, Reveillark/Karmic Guide, persist + sac outlet, that sort of thing)

The issue I have with GW is that, in the end, I either end up with a minor coloured splash or the deck ends up being worse than it would be in another colour combination. For example, GW midrange ends up being a much worse version of GR midrange and it comes up less naturally. A GW deck has never came up naturally in draft tests with the exception of Lands, which is a multicolour archetype. I also don't want to led my drafters into traps like drafting GW Blink instead of UW or WR.

I think this shows up both in the article Dom Harvey mentions and the decks posted elsewhere in Riptide Lab: Most of them are white decks that splash for a bit of ramp or Eternal Witness. And I'm looking for a bit deeper interaction than that. Power level is absolutely a concern, as I'm sure GW is much more palatable at lower levels. So far, the best GW decks I've managed to build look a bit like this:

There's also this, which has a beyond awful mana curve but showcases the power more:

It doesn't look that bad, overwhelming amount of 3 drops aside (Which is fixable, I just need to tweak the cube design a bit). And I'm sure you guys can build a far better deck than I do.

I would love to have Enchantress because I loved that deck, but I don't think it's a good idea. I do run a higher than usual number of enchantments but I see little flexibility to the archetype.

One of my go to techniques for making a color pairing get an identity is to try and find either:

a) Something mechanical both colors does well, or
b) One thing that the first color does, that complements a thing the other color does.

GW Midrange Go-Wide Tokens from CubeTutor.com

In my cube, I've tried to give GW a go-wide theme because I felt like both white and green could produce dorks (tokens, mana dorks, weenie aggro creatures) and also pump them with things like Trostani Discordant, Ridgescale Tusker and Spear of Heliod. I feel like this would make a player who starts out in either color gravitate towards the other color in the pair, simply because it just reinforces the strategy already forming from picking the first color.

No matter what power level you are, I'm sure you can find something both colors does that you can try and reinforce.

Agree with Chris. If you are going to customize the card, you should start by removing the word ‘exile’ on it. Then move on to nerf its mana cost or p/t.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
Looking for UW card which is an artifact payoff or support card. Glassdust Hulk and Aerial Engineer are a little low power level. I'm thinking of adding either Thopter Foundry or Dovin, Grand Arbiter but open to other suggestions.

There isn't really anything that I could find that was strictly UW that would fit your power level. Those two suggestions were the only thing that I could see in a simple scryfall search that would be powerful enough without going into the esper shard.
Although there is one card that I found that didn't come up in the scryfall search that may have enough power to get there in your cube:

May not do enough to get there, as a cheaper Spire Monitor isn't the epitome of power, but I think it could lead to some fancy tricks.

Although there is one card that I found that didn't come up in the scryfall search that may have enough power to get there in your cube:

May not do enough to get there, as a cheaper Spire Monitor isn't the epitome of power, but I think it could lead to some fancy tricks.
To highlight 'some fancy tricks':

When you target your opponent's Teshar, Ancestor's Apostle with removal and they respond by flashing in Raff Capashen, Ship's Mage, triggering the Teshar to return Stonecloaker, which enters to return the Teshar back to hand... you know Raff has found a home (true story and probably just 'average fancy').

Hey guys, I'm looking for an Elf that is generally playable to some degree and has anything to do with +1/+1 or -1/-1 counters. Not a payoff for those, just having, getting or interacting with counters of either kind in any way.

You changed my life bro

hqdefault.jpg