Sets [ELD] Throne of Eldraine

I'm running these 5 and they kinda already became staples of my cube.

I'd add more (Foulmire Knight, Shepherd of the Flock etc) before cutting any. This mechanic was a homerun.

Tactician is great! The only thing that I dislike is WW in its casting cost.

@ Onder: I guess Bonecrusher is on the high end of powerlevel in your cube?

I’ve also thought about including ninjas because of Order of Midnight alone. Fits like a glove!

Oh yeah, and Hypnotic Sprite also works well. And the funny thing is: I added ninjas only after I already fell in love with the adventure guys.

I run , and .

Bonecrusher is just great, no need to convince anybody about that card...
Lovestruck Beast is great against aggro as it is a 5/5 defender for three cmc at its worst. I have eight other 1/1 creatures in green alone, so the chance of it attacking is not too slim.
Rimrock Knight is still to be tested. I really want to rimrock a Precursor Golem!

So people, which adventures did you test and liked? The ones I could think of in my cube because of Limited are

I fear that Brazen Borrower and Bonecrusher Giant would be too strong, especially the latter, and I know that Murderous Rider and Realm-Cloaked Giant definitely are. Beanstalk Giant doesn't fit my design philosophy, and while Hypnotic Sprite looks right powerlevel-wise, I didn't like how it played in Limited.

All of the adventure cards are cube playable at some powerlevel except for Garenbrig Carver and probably Oakhame Ranger.

I think the options you listed are all pretty good, I know a lot of high-powered cubes play all of those cards except for Ardenvale Tactician.

As Alfonzo Bonzo stated, this card is a great way to help force through damage in the late game. It's a Suntail Hawk in the part of the game where that is relevant and a sorcery-speed Mighty Leap in the late game. Just keep in mind that this is primarily an aggro card when deciding to add it.

I can see why one would add Faerie Guidemother, but I prefer Defy Gravity for making a creature evasive. Yes, it doesn't pump, but it goes straight into spells matter, and even is an enabler for Heroic twice if you try to make it work.

Guidemother is great design nonetheless, dropping a 1/1 flying on t1 can be very relevant for an aggro deck, especially with some equipment or +1/+1 counters put on it. Wish the adventure was an instant.

Can someone explain why that is?

A 1/1 haste that can go into any color is not enough, right?
Is it the mana sink/unblockable?
Or is it the 3 life?
The sub mild Aristocrats support?
All of the above?

A 1/1 haste that can go into any color is not enough, right?
Is it the mana sink/unblockable?
Or is it the 3 life?
The sub mild Aristocrats support?
All of the above?

It's twofold.

First, the unblockability is usually fairly relevant in aggro. Instead of hitting in for one or two like a raging goblin, gingerbrute can deal damage throughout the entire game except for the rare circumstance in which the opponent has a haste creature.

Second, and in some regards more importantly in my opinion, Gingerbrute is just an efficient use of cube design space. Gingerbrute can go into any aggro deck and provide the qualities I listed above. He's effectively using one card "slot" to free up between 2 and 4 slots across the color sections. Every aggro deck wants around 5 1 Drops, meaning each aggro color section is probably going to want 7-10 1-drop aggro creatures at 360. This means that a cube running 3 mono-color aggro decks is using between 25 and 30 slots on random 1 drops other decks may not want to play. Cubes supporting aggro decks in all 5 colors may have upwards of 40 one drop aggro creatures, or over 1/10th of the entire cube.

Enter Gingerbrute. By making use of a colorless slot, he frees up a little space in the aggro colored section. Running Gingerbrute means you could realistically cut and aggro 1-drop from another color if you really needed the room for something else. You can't quite make 1 for 1 swaps like this because multiple decks are going to want the same colorless one drop, but you can cut the 9th or 10th aggro 1-drop from a given color if your running brute. I think the only reason we don't usually see more colorless 1-drops in cube is because few are as good as Gingerbrute. That list basically begins and ends with Signal Pest.

Notice that this paradigm also kind of applies to hybrid cards as well. I've only been running Figure of Destiny for about a month, but now I swear by that card. He's a 1/1 for 1 in what are usually the two most relevant aggro colors who grows throughout the game. Figure is even just a win condition sometimes. Since both my White and Red aggro drafters can make use of it, figure eases the burden of running aggro dorks on those monocolor sections a little bit.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
It's the combination of being colorless and hard to block, mainly, but the life gain can be relevant in aggro mirrors. You often need a way to push damage as the aggro player. Red historically is best at creating reach through the use of burn spells, and this is a colorless way to do so, which is great boon to nonred aggro decks (though you definitely play it in red aggro decks as well). Then there's the fact that it's an artifact, which, depending on the composition of your cube, can also be relevant. There's an aggressive historic aggro deck in white in my cube, for example, and I also run Steel Overseer.

"all basics are snow" here and icehide golems are dope. I run 2 and might even go up to 3 because it's a really solid Isamaru that intersects with my themes

Second, and in some regards more importantly in my opinion, Gingerbrute is just an efficient use of cube design space. Gingerbrute can go into any aggro deck and provide the qualities I listed above. He's effectively using one card "slot" to free up between 2 and 4 slots across the color sections. Every aggro deck wants around 5 1 Drops, meaning each aggro color section is probably going to want 7-10 1-drop aggro creatures at 360. This means that a cube running 3 mono-color aggro decks is using between 25 and 30 slots on random 1 drops other decks may not want to play. Cubes supporting aggro decks in all 5 colors may have upwards of 40 one drop aggro creatures, or over 1/10th of the entire cube.

This point is a big reason for the existence of The Black Cube. I kept most of the one drops there in black because the aggro creatures are already kind of narrow, so how can we make them more universal? Make them colorless or, in my case, black. It makes a big difference, in my mind, to have these narrow little guys be useable.