Sets [ELD] Throne of Eldraine

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
toe-inv-front.jpg

toe-inv-inside.jpg

Mark Rosewater said:
theycallmejokke asked: Maro why is my twitter feed exploding with talk about faries???

Because the card/invitation we made announcing the October set has a picture of Faeries on it. Since that was the only hint about the world beside the name, the assumption was made the Faeries must matter a lot to the world. They're there. There are Faeries in the set, but nowhere at the volume or importance that people seem to be assuming. That's why all the Faerie talk. I promise on Saturday at the Magic panel, I will make it clear what Throne of Eldraine is about.

Source

Hype? Hype! I love fairy tale / arthurian settings, so I'm in :)

Hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyype

Sorry I’ll tone it down.

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE!!!!!!

I wonder what part of this is what Maro tried to do for 10 years? Can't be the setting right? I mean it seems really cool, but I doubt it would've caused any troubles

My guesses:

Purple color
Monarch keyword into Standard
Make a better version of Lorwyn

That’s all I got for that 10 years guessing game.

I mean I don’t know :p Purple is also very unlikely. It is one of those major changes that fans are debating every year. When Time Spiral was announced we saw a purple-colored set logo and people went crazy. This teaser is also purple but it is still highly unlikely. It is just the only three things I can remember that MARO have wanted for a long time. (That he hasn’t already introduced.)

For those of you who are interested:

Tonight there will be a live panel. They will be talking about the upcoming September set Throne of Eldraine but also about other things that actually sound even more..interesting. We don’t exactly know yet but MARO have said there won’t be enough time to cover it all during the panel. So he will release an article afterwards.

Again I have a few guesses but no facts:
Modern Commander as a new format.
Frontier as an official format.
Purple Color ;)
All future competitive Pro Tours etc will be online on Arena.

They are calling it ‘Changes to Magic’

From what I've seen on reddit (haven't actually watched the panel yet) it seems the changes are:

A. Throne of Eldraine is the Arthurian + fairy tales plane Maro has been pushing for
B. Arena will add a 1v1 Brawl format
C. Throne of Eldraine Brawl precons are planned for release
D. (the actual, gargantuan, change) There will be 3 types of boosters. The boosters which have been standard for the last 25 years will be getting a new name: 'Draft Boosters'. There will also be [insert color]-Themed Boosters with an emphasis on one of the 5 colors (yep, still 5). Finally, Collectors Boosters. These are a whopping $20-25 retail, stuffed full of rares and borderless bling versions of cards. Loot boxes, here we come.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well... Turns out the big announcement was about "Project Booster Fun"! Oh my! :rolleyes: Ok, kinda excited that the Buy a Box promo is going to be available in nonfoil in case I "need" one for my cube.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/project-booster-fun-2019-07-20

Also, a bunch of sweet art has been spoiled for "Camelot meets Grimm"

Scroll through their Twitter feed to see it all, because they spoiled, like, 20+ artworks, and they're all gorgeous! Posting some selected arts here.

(B.t.w., one of the returning planeswalkers was confirmed to be Rowan Kenrith by art detectives (her blade is the same in the old and new art).

Plains:

351D0AAB-E9A6-44A9-8B59-75FC6ED18251.jpeg

Seb's a boss artist (clever planeswalker symbol there!):

15EEE00C-6CED-4959-B624-E568FD4CEB78.jpeg

OMG gorgeous artworks! Getting John William Waterhouse vibes here!

348A652C-4921-4058-A4D1-62671040A0BF.jpeg

4AE47158-8E9B-43DA-8C7B-91BD37749E1C.jpeg

Ok, this isn't creepy. At all...

D4B8EEEF-C914-4686-BAAA-BA8EF7695B93.jpeg

Edit: Oh, almost forgot the alternate art of Goldilocks, which is... waaaaaaaaay less tame than the regular one! :scream: (Also, heck yes for Omar returning for this set! He was probably my favorite artist from Lorwyn block!)

15F58AC0-DC7F-47D4-A0DD-7C621F559FF5.jpeg

Edit edit: Here's the regular art of Goldilocks, together with a tiny, tiny spoiler, next to the alternate frame that will contain the epic art above:

DDD5C8C8-913D-4F61-AF65-17228579EFBA.png FFF6C2C6-BE0D-4D24-B795-E3275A4EF273.png

They actually didn't use the same art in the article, and "forgot" to delete the casting cost, p/t, and ability cost of the card. Looks like a kind of activated ability?

I'm no longer in the now, but was Magic's release schedule always this frenetic? We have had War of the Spark, M20, Modern Horizons and now this in like two months right?

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
I'm no longer in the now, but was Magic's release schedule always this frenetic? We have had War of the Spark, M20, Modern Horizons and now this in like two months right?
I'm pretty sure it has been like this for a good while now. The summer months are always a flurry of releases, and then in the winter things slow down again for a while. Also, not two months ;)

Throne of Eldraine: October 4, 2019
Commander 2019: August 23, 2019
Core Set 2020: July 12, 2019
Signature Spellbook: Gideon: June 28, 2019
Modern Horizons: June 14, 2019
War of the Spark: May 3, 2019

I really don’t mind giving Wizards tons of money if they keep giving me tons of great experiences!

Whenever I spend $100, I have many friends who get entertainment for free.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oh. My. God. Yes.

Finally mtg is going back to it's mystical high fantasy roots. Please please please make these frames not too expensive and give me at least 5 great fits for my cube with it PLEASE!

How will this version be aviable? And why does the more boring version even exist?
These alternate frames will, in fact, be available in both normal boosters as well as in the more expensive collector's boosters! As it's an uncommon, I would think this one shouldn't be too expensive? Unless it's bonkers good of course.

Finally, something which actually makes me happy!! I really love the ascetic of this set so far. The last time art previews for a set made me feel the way these Throne of Eldraine arts do was Khans of Tarkir, which ended up being one of the best magic sets of all time (not even just in my opinion, lots of people seem to agree with me on that).

I really hope these two arts belong to cards I can reasonably put into my cube:
art-19-615x461.jpg

I love how he knocked over a pie :). His movements look so alien that he looks deranged, almost a bit evil, especially with that icing coming out of his mouth.

art-10-615x461.jpg

I love her weird Bat/Pug thing. If this character isn't the main villain of this story, than I don't know who should be. She's perfect.

I think the weird storybook mechanic we saw on the goldilocks card might actually be a Level Up/Monstrosity variant of some sort. Maybe they will play like Sagas but with an activation cost?

I hope some of these cards are cool. I love the look of the alternate frames from this set, and I would love to cube with them!!