Sets [ELD] Throne of Eldraine

Ugh I hope it's not level up/adapt/monstrous. We just got Adapt and that was boring.

Yeah but theres a certain point when something being functional is more important than it being interesting. Adapt needed to function with the rest of it's set, not be an interesting take on counters matter.

Even if this mechanic is just a new version of level up/adapt/monstrous, I doubt it would actually be boring though. They wouldn't go through all the effort of making a new frame for regular set cards if it was just going to be another dumb add counters variant. This storybook mechanic is going to be something cool.

I saw a prediction that the mechanic is going to be a one-time use ability, with an effect that advances the story of the card. So for example, the Goldilocks ability could be 'destroy 3 non-Human creatures' (though that might be a tad strong).

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Also, not particularly related to the existing Goldilocks story, though considering she's hunting bears in the art :shrug: XD

Also, not particularly related to the existing Goldilocks story, though considering she's hunting bears in the art :shrug: XD

Yeah, from the art I gathered that this Goldilocks has decided to cleave the heads off each member of the bear family and is now figuring out where to peddle their pelts. :D

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Do we know when spoiler season begins?

Thanks in advance

I don't think we do exactly? The prerelease is on the weekend of the 27th of September though. Nowadays we should have the complete spoilers a week before, and the spoiler season runs for two or three weeks. This means spoilers should start either the 2nd or the 9th of September, with maybe a few cards shown at an event before that date (though we already had that big event reveal, kinda).

Do we know when spoiler season begins?

Thanks in advance

I don't think we do exactly? The prerelease is on the weekend of the 27th of September though. Nowadays we should have the complete spoilers a week before, and the spoiler season runs for two or three weeks. This means spoilers should start either the 2nd or the 9th of September, with maybe a few cards shown at an event before that date (though we already had that big event reveal, kinda).

For the last couple of years they have been starting previews US Labor day weekend. So, that would make the beginning of previews September 2nd.

HOWEVER...

Wotc was revealing a few cards from the new set the week before previews "officially started" to like show off the mechanics and stuff. They did this with Ravnica Allegiance. In addition, they released the mechanics article and in-store play promos for Amonkhet the week before they started doing previews for that set as well.

So, using all that information, I can reasonably state that we're probably going to start being ELD cards sometime between August 26th and September 2nd.

Would anyone be upset if I made a new Throne of Eldraine spoiler thread when we get some previews?

The set code is ELD and it really bothers me that ours is tagged as [TOE]

A set about court politics seems like a great place to reprint a Court Official, no?

Is this set about politics? I understood it to be about MtG’s version of Camelot and Grimm brother’s fairy tales. Where did you read anything about politics being confirmed as something Throne of Eldraine was about?

Edit: To elaborate. We already have a political set about courts, kings and queens ala Game of Thrones/King’s Landing in Fiora (Conspiracy and Conspiracy: Take the Crown) I do not think Wizards will make a Fiora 2.0 but if you have read anything that could point towards that, please let me know.

Is this set about politics? I understood it to be about MtG’s version of Camelot and Grimm brother’s fairy tales. Where did you read anything about politics being confirmed as something Throne of Eldraine was about?

Edit: To elaborate. We already have a political set about courts, kings and queens ala Game of Thrones/King’s Landing in Fiora (Conspiracy and Conspiracy: Take the Crown) I do not think Wizards will make a Fiora 2.0 but if you have read anything that could point towards that, please let me know.

You're putting too much stock into the "politics" part of my statement and not enough into the "court" part.

Most of the advertisements for this set have been referencing something called the "Court of the High Throne of Eldraine." It seems like there are a few different nobles fighting for control of the throne, but unlike in conspiracy, their either actively at war or doing their dealings out in the open. It's not so much about intrigue as it is "my knights are better than yours."

Think less about the Game of Thrones/Fioran universes and more about the real-life Holy Roman Empire.

It's also worth noting that the feel of Fiora and Eldraine are completely different. In Conspiracy 1, Fiora was heavily inspired by the Renaissance Italian City-States such as Florence, Venice, and Genoa. There was even an entire faction of inventors who took after Da Vinci and other Renaissance thinkers. In Italy, succession was often quite strange. Kingdoms weren't really the norm, instead, cities were ruled by either dukes or merchant republics, with the occasional theocracy thrown in.

Although Conspiracy 2 has a much more "Game of Thrones" vibe (which was based loosely on an actual series of civil wars fought in the UK known as the War of the Roses), it's pretty clear that the world is still primarily run by Italian Influence. In fact, at the end of one of the story articles for CN2, Adrianna, Captain of the Guard and Selvala, Explorer Returned are actually discussing overthrowing Queen Marchesa to implement something which sounds an awful lot like an Italian Republic (maybe with some minor U.S. influences).

Eldraine, on the other hand, has a political system based in Arthurian Lore, which heavily mirrors English politics between the 1000s and 1100s. Succession was usually hereditary and democracy is rarely a factor. From what we know so far, It sounds like the King of Eldraine went missing so now there is a succession crisis within the high-kingdom, so now all of the other great houses are trying to get their ruler on the Throne. Except, of course, Rowan and Will Kenrith, the true heirs to the throne, got back from screwing around in an arena to succeed their father. That part's muddled and weird, so I won't go into it, but suffice to say, the lore and political system of this world is completely different from Fiora.

art-211-615x461.jpg

I wonder if this could be a reprint of Dark Confidant... :p

Keep on dreaming, that's obviously the evil queen from Snow White in witch form. Those are obviously Dopey's, Doc's, Sneezy's, and Grumpy's arms coming out of her coat :p

You're correct in regards to the reference. "Giving a gift that hurts you" seems like both Dark Confidant and the Evil Queen.

The just started previews!!
okothiefofcrowns.jpg

Apparently Oko was U/G. We have no idea what a food token is yet, but it appears to be a theme of Eldraine, given most of the art we've seen so far. This guy could be cubable if making a food token is worth doing.

Hopefully the food is good.

We also found Goldie Locks!
EDkYFrkXsAoAm8o.jpg:large

It looks like our good old pals at WOTC are counting down towards something!

I don't know how "Adventures" work. They could be like aftermath or something on a creature, but that seems a bit Janky and very uninspired. You might be able to cast the card from your hand for the Adventure sorcery cost and then you get to cast the spell and the creature, or maybe you can cast the spell once you have the creature on board. Depending on how this mechanic works, the Intruder might actually be cubeable as both an early aggro dork (for cubes which support green aggro) and an army-in-a-can finisher. Neat!

Bear tokens are coming back again! Hopefully this isn't the only card to use them, I want Ayula, Queen among Bears to get a critical mass of Bears so that we can actually cube her for reasons other than just "the memes".

Apparently the oracle wording for every card that makes Treasures has now been updated, to "create a Treasure token." So that means that (1) the mana ability is now rules baggage of the Treasure subtype, (2) the artifact type is implied if an artifact subtype is given, and (3) "colorless" is implied unless otherwise specified. So Food is probably a new artifact subtype that may or may not come with an ability. I'm torn on whether it has an ability. On the one hand, if it does then Oko should have reminder text. On the other hand, if it does not then it's a pointless subtype. I'd lean slightly towards no ability but lots of cards that reference it.

Either way, I think Oko is going to be fun.

As for Goldilocks, I don't think any combination of a 1/2 for G that has to connect to Naturalize and three bears for 5GG would make my cube, but the design is cool.