Sets [ELD] Throne of Eldraine

EDk0EggX4AAsiah.png:large

This seems really good! It can attack from your Mana Elves Splicers, Young Pyromancer tokens, and Recruiters. Again, it depends on how adventures work, but this might be a great green aggro creature.

Yeah, that's good, clean design for Food. The token templating change is probably good on balance. It's a bit inconsistent that "artifact" is omitted but "creature" is included. I would have expected Lovestruct Beast to be "create a 1/1 white Human token." But creature subtypes and artifact subtypes do kind of play different roles. Edit: Apparently M20 introduced "predefined tokens." I missed that change.

I don't think any of the cards get there for me except Oko and maybe Lovestruck Beast. Depending on how Adventure works, I could see Lovestruck Beast getting played out as a 5/5 blocker early and then turned on to attack later.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Well... Nothing exciting so far. Oko is just going to be extremely annoying as a 3 cmc walker with that Beast Within (I know, it "only" hits artifacts and creatures...) as a freaking +1 ability. Not my cup of tea. There's two other commons spoiled that aren't worth mentioning, so we're 10 cards in, and not a single one piques my interest. That has to be the worst start of preview season in years. I'll be patiently waiting for something better.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
This on the other hand!

rE49vGh.png

A bunch of other interesting faeries as well.

CcmipnO.jpg
7Dvyyfm.png
egCq94O.png

Rankle seems like a super sweet cross-over between the UB Madness-less Madness and the WB Smokestack Tokens archetypes in my cube :)

Rankle shut up and take m... and get in my cube!

So Adventure is a new subtype like Curse once were. Will we get a Adventure-matters card? Food is also a new subtype. As is Noble.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oooooh, this is golden!

midnightclock.jpg

I run a cube with 3 cmc arifact acceleration, so this is right up my alley! Strong effect for a control deck as well! Note, each upkeep, that's only six turns between two players, and the 12th counter is put on the clock at the start of your own turn, giving you a fresh full grip of seven sweet cards.

The put-a-counter ability is also a nice mana sink for a draw-go control deck.
Mana sinks are nice, but I still think this is way, way too slow for a 1v1 situation. It looks tailor made for commander where it should only take a couple turns to go off. In 1v1 this is like 4-5 turns even if you're dumping a bunch of mana into it, and that's just an eternity.

Mana sinks are nice, but I still think this is way, way too slow for a 1v1 situation. It looks tailor made for commander where it should only take a couple turns to go off. In 1v1 this is like 4-5 turns even if you're dumping a bunch of mana into it, and that's just an eternity.

But it's just a mana rock. If the rock is playable in your environment the other stuff is just an upside.

My bet for adventure is that it works similar to meld, like we get cards that "complete" other card adventure.
I say so cause with split-fuse-aftermath-flashback-whatever the two cards in one sounds pretty old

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
JwpgSRj.png

Wait... "Then exile this card. You may cast the creature later from exile."? What? Clicks link...

“One of the really cool new mechanics in this set is called adventure”, explains Verhey. “This represents how the various knights and characters of the world go out on… well, adventures! You can tell which cards are adventures from their very unique frame that looks a bit like a storybook. You can always play a card for it’s normal mana cost, in the top right… Or if it’s in your hand, you can pay the adventure cost and send it away on an adventure! It’ll do the effect in the adventure textbox, you’ll exile the card, and then you can still cast it later on. It’s a great way to get extra value out of each and every one of your adventure cards!”

Oh! That's actually quite neat! So you can choose between casting the creature and casting the sorcery, then the creature, but you can't cast the creature and then later the sorcery.

spSR2rR.png

Too many words!

8Er4eBe.png

Holy shit, that alternate art! o_O Also... That's actually a need adventure, because you're getting back, presumably, another adventure. Hey, Raise Dead effects gain some value with this mechanic! Also, straight up 2/2 flying for {1}{B} with two relevant creature types is not too shabby! A lot of these are going to be great for limited/cube, simply because they offer options. Order of Midnight is a great two drop that can apply some pressure, but it's also a great topdeck as a flying Gravedigger in the mid to late game. Also, all of these are great with stuff like Monastery Mentor for being creatures that are able to trigger prowess-like abilities. Great stuff actually. Love to see more!

Kinda funny with these cards as well :)

Adventure has been revealed

You may either cast the creature side on the right or cast the adventure side on the left. If you cast the adventure side, then you exile the spell upon resolution. Then you get to cast the creature side from exile later in the game. You can only cast the adventure from your hand.

In case anyone didn’t notice: Wizards is counting down to something. Or Eldraine is?

We are at 6 now. For reference, this is what was attached with most spoilers today:

CCA4B57D-A91E-4665-B31B-7769F1DA5C34.jpeg

2DE107F1-D37E-4B4C-96A7-71080FD53FF2.jpeg

F19C4A05-E255-4307-9E4A-323A310ABE47.jpeg

Anyone care to guess what will happen when we reach 1 or 0?
My humble guess would be the official invitation to a Royal event.

Embereth Shieldbreaker reads like a worse Manic Vandal.

You mean like an almost always better Manic Vandal right?

You can cast it for 2 instead of 3.
You can also pay the full 3 mana like Vandal and then they have the same ETB effect.
You can also cast it for 1 for a removal. And then much later get a small blocker/attacker

Only upside to Vandal is the 1 extra toughness. This is a deal but not a big deal. And it doesn’t outweigh the tempo you can choose at 2 mana.

Adventure is very flexible, it's like kicker that you can play ahead of time.
Embereth Shieldbreaker seems good. Probably better than Torch Fiend, definitely better than Manic Vandal.