GBS

Diablo and Path of Exile don't start you over from scratch when you die do they (except in hardcore mode)? They have checkpoints, automatic saving (still a 'save button' in a sense), etc. They don't really fall into the rogue-lite category at all IMO.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I beat the (Loop Hero) Lich on my 4th or 5th expedition. And then I was just impossibly overpowered. The game let me keep looping to gather resources, but each loop had like 30 battles and each battle took 10-15 seconds. I guess that's gameplay?

I don't really see why this is a run-based game at all. This game should be structured like Plants vs Zombies, with a series of levels that are designed well with interesting restrictions. Scrap the resource gathering (time padding?), scrap the tech trees, just have the player unlock cards and power ups over time and let them do some deckbuilding for each level with the cards allotted to them. Your goal is to beat each level, none of this secondary nonsense.

The fact that the game encourages you to just endlessly loop after the challenge of a given task is over is quite poor design in my opinion.

The risk/reward of deciding whether to go for the boss or not is also super unsatisfying. I don't know how hard the boss even is before I try, and I get punished for trying and failing. Now that I'm on the next phase of the game, I know I just have to do a few runs to 'level up' before attempting the boss. But if I beat it, is it because I did too many of those runs? Or is it because I played well?

Loop Hero may have some well designed cards and interactions, but the overall faux rogue-lie structuring is so dumb that I can't get behind it.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Diablo and Path of Exile don't start you over from scratch when you die do they (except in hardcore mode)? They have checkpoints, automatic saving (still a 'save button' in a sense), etc. They don't really fall into the rogue-lite category at all IMO.
You don't need to have permadeath to fall into the roguelite category, that's a prerequisite for the roguelike category.

You don't need to have permadeath to fall into the roguelite category, that's a prerequisite for the roguelike category.

As far as I know the definition, you DO have permadeath in most roguelites, you just carry over something, like a piece of gear, or an ability, etc. Rogue Legacy is first that comes to mind. Diablo doesn't really have prcedural generation that changes after death, it doesn't start you back at the beginning with or without carried progression, etc. etc. It's really not roguelike or -lite at all. It's a saved progress single run game (barring new game+ and end game content) with checkpoints. I don't count "any game that sends you back to a checkpoint" as roguelite. In the expansion, you don't even have to go back to a checkpoint at all!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah IIRC these are two technically different Genres with impossibly stupid names very close together -_-

Slay, for eg has essentially no meta progression outside card unlocks, which provide options and not say, increased baseline damage.
Loop hero, by contrast has a thing you can build that give you 4% more baseline damage per rank.

Edit: hey Jason, did you try Hades? You might like it better

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah IIRC these are two technically different Genres with impossibly stupid names very close together -_-

Slay, for eg has essentially no meta progression outside card unlocks, which provide options and not say, increased baseline damage.
Loop hero, by contrast has a thing you can build that give you 4% more baseline damage per rank.

Edit: hey Jason, did you try Hades? You might like it better

My brother in law recommended Hades this week. I'll probably pick it up as soon as it gets an Xbox release.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm playing it on PC with a controller if that's an option for you and it's worked great.
It is an option, but the wife wanted us to get this OLED TV to go with my new xbox and both of them have been collecting a bit of dust because in the limited free time the baby affords me I've been making videos on Magic the Gathering. So I feel sunken costed into waiting for the xbox version.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Oooh, if you like platformers, you should definitely try out Ori and the Blind Forest (and if you like it continue the story with Ori and the Will of the Wisps)!

My brother in law recommended Hades this week. I'll probably pick it up as soon as it gets an Xbox release.

Hades is really, really good. My favorite game of last year, easily. The combat is so satisfying, the dialogue is great, and it fixes all the problems I had with roguelikes! Not going to say much more about it as to not spoil anything.

Kirblinx

Developer
Staff member
What is a Trophy Point and how do I get one?

pjnfVmI.png

:(

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
So are trophies some kind of achievement system? Can we have a range of loyalist trophies for logging in an increasingly consecutive number of days? :D

Promise of Loyalty: 3 consecutive days
Loyal Apprentice: 7 consecutive days
Loyal Sentry: 15 consecutive days
Pledge of Loyalty: 31 consecutive days
Loyal Guardian: 63 consecutive days
Loyal Retainers: 127 consecutive days
The Circle of Loyalty: 255 consecutive days
Mowu, Loyal Companion: 511 consecutive days

And one for number of posts:

My First Tome: 1 post
Mazemind Tome: 20 posts
Jalum Tome: 50 posts
Jayemdae Tome: 100 posts
Emmessi Tome: 200 posts
Thran Tome: 500 posts
Mangara's Tome: 1k posts
Urza's Tome: 2k posts
Tome of Legends: 5k posts
Fool's Tome: 10k posts (I'm working on it! :p)

And one for total number of likes received, though I don't have an idea exactly what cards or criteria you would use.

Worship
Beloved Chaplain
Beloved Princess
...? These don't follow as nice of a theme yet...

It is an option, but the wife wanted us to get this OLED TV to go with my new xbox and both of them have been collecting a bit of dust because in the limited free time the baby affords me I've been making videos on Magic the Gathering. So I feel sunken costed into waiting for the xbox version.

“sunked costed” :D Nice!