General Fair Entomb

Yeah, if we are entombing a Gravecrawler and being happy with that, we are at {any card that has a reasonable impact from the GY}, so something like think twice is underwhelming, but pretty much anything above that could be considered.

If these suggestions are anything to go off of, more cubes should be running entomb. If not entomb, than this entomb on a body

Has anyone actually run this guy? I feel like he'd be plausible but not broken in Cube, even if you added some of the infinite combos with him. He might even be worth it just for the memories of how he destroyed Modern--I have a soft spot for cards that wreck constructed formats but are pretty sweet in limited.

Has anyone actually run this guy? I feel like he'd be plausible but not broken in Cube, even if you added some of the infinite combos with him. He might even be worth it just for the memories of how he destroyed Modern--I have a soft spot for cards that wreck constructed formats but are pretty sweet in limited.

It's a fun achievement unlocker for a cube, and inspires deck construction. I think it's worth trying out if you have the space and it suits your cube design. It's not overpowered in most contexts imo

I've only played with him a little, but limited decks are never as tightly tuned for a specific interaction as constructed decks are, so Hogaak only ever felt fun and not overbearing.

Dom Harvey

Contributor

It's truly terrifying in a deck that's optimized for it - not necessarily Turn 2 Gaak as in Modern but Turn 4/5 'green or black thing that makes a bunch of tokens -> free 8/8'

I had a sweet 4 player game playing a BG self-mill deck. I was able to swing 3-4 times, cast, then recur the Hogaak twice before I finally ran out of creatures and GY ressources. It was really fun and there was a whole subgame resolving around the card. It was strong, but still took 3 swings + summoning sickness before it took someone out.

I agree that we're thinking too small. Huge reanimator threat is the classic. Anything other than that needs to recover the card disadvantage, like the Escape Titans, or make up for it in tempo potential, like Vengevine. I also like the Flashback reanimation spells to add consistency to any reanimation plan. If we stray too far from cards that can recover the disadvantage somehow, it's just a graveyard cube recommendations thread. Which I'm also kind of fine with, but it doesn't really address "Fair Entomb."

I was excited about this thread until I checked the price of Entomb. 22 USD.

But ... it isn't card disadvantage, since you will play or otherwise use the card it "draws" you. It's like a tutor then, or a massive modal card. Need a five mana 6/6? Go get Honored Hydra or Roar of the Wurm. Need to draw some cards? Deep Analysis is your painful divination. Need to get your ninjas through? Wonder gives you a Levitation for {B}. Need sacrifice fodder for your Carrion Feeder/Zulaport Cutthroat Engine? I don't mind paying one extra for Reassembling Skeleton then.

It's not card disadvantage, unless you actively spent a Raise Dead effect to get your card back.

True. It isn't card disadvantage to Flashback a 4/4 Beast for 2BGGGG, but if you're going to consider Entomb worthwhile at that point, then the thread's conclusion is that Entomb is basically a staple.

Which could be correct.

If thats the only flashback spell in your deck, sure, but we're looking at flexibility here, not efficiency. Its a tutor/build your own modal spell

If thats the only flashback spell in your deck, sure, but we're looking at flexibility here, not efficiency. Its a tutor/build your own modal spell

Right. Which could very well lead us to the conclusion it's a borderline staple in any cube with Bx yard.

I sometimes think that about Demonic Tutor, as well. It scales to your power level and provides some consistency. Similar to Entomb, it's pretty pricey for a card I don't already own. 50+ USD.