Card/Deck +1/+1 Counters

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
A few weeks ago I saw Cytoplast Root-Kin and I got really excited. It's a 4/4 with a couple neat interactive abilities. I loved graft when I was a (younger) kid, so I started thinking about making this work as a cube deck. I looked through all the cards that have to do with +1/+1 counters and then got really bored for a while and didn't think about it any more.

Motivation cards for this kind of deck:

Ion Storm is going deep, I know. It looks awesome.

The Aggro Cards
Initially I thought this was going to be a mainly blue/green durdly thing, but with Exava and Goblin Razerunners it looks like there's a cool aggro deck here. Here's some other cards for that:

This is all pretty neat and entertaining, but it looks like Ion Storm is the card that will tie it together. After all, Exava and Stormblood Berserker don't interact favourably most of the time. It does make an interesting reason to burn your opponent pre-combat, maybe even with Ion Storm!
I already run Thrill-Kill Assassin but I'm not sure I should be in the first place. Maybe it will be playable in the second place, if it isn't already (I dunno).
Molten Hydra is also there, but I think that's a bit weak unless the support cards turn out to work well enough.
Mark of Mutiny might do interesting things. Is there a repeatable Fling?

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Other Cards That Want Counters That One Could Run

Other Good Cards That Already Have Counters

What excited me here is Experiment One, Champion of Lambholt, Cloudfin Raptor, Gyre Sage and maybe Vinelasher Kudzu. At the moment my cube has absolutely no support for heavy green aggro. If you're playing green in your aggro deck it's a splash for a RG card like Bloodbraid Elf. That makes Rancor less good than it should be, and I love that card. Having potential to draft some cool interactive greenish aggro deck makes Rancor so much more awesome.

Getting More Counters on Guys
Moving into green, we get cards that put counters on our guys:

Some of these looks weak: Fangren Firstborn, Stand Together and Incremental Growth. The Firstborn has some potential and could get considered if we need to go really deep on this. But these are just too expensive for most cubes.
I'm really excited to make Deranged Outcast good, that is a sweet card. Excellent interaction with Hunger of the Howlpack and my human theme in white (check my white section)

Moving into other colors:

And since I am trying to make a value reanimator deck work in my cube I'm going to consider these:

For the moment I don't have much else to say. I am going to take great pains to add this, but I am definitely not going to run all these cards. I wanted to throw them up here and get some discussion going. I think the time has come to double on fetches. I need the amazing fixing to make these crazy Goblin Razerunners/Experiment One/Ion Storm/Cytoplast Root-Kin doable. This is the kind of thing that gets me cackling maniacally as I draft, and it's those times that keep me playing this game.

Falkenrath Exterminator looks good, but probably on the weaker side. Hmm. Actually it's pretty sweet isn't it. Not bad on turn 2, but not as good as another 2-drop, probably, but there's potential for this to get quite powerful later on, unlike stupid crap like Gore-House Chainwalker. Worth a shot!
I've tried getting it to work now and then, and I think it could be pretty powerful with a theme that can put counters on him.

I'm pretty close on putting Tezzeret's Gambit in, I really like that card.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
Surprised no one mentioned Kalonian Hydra.

Yeah I also looked at that and I'm not interested. I guess partly I'm a curmudgeonly oldfag who doesn't like any of the hyrdas wizards has printed recently. They're all big and dumb and really bomby. A couple turns without removal and that thing gets out of hand without putting any work into it.

Ashling has been decent in my cube, but I think she got cut when I went down to 360. Always want to put her back in though.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Ion Storm is SO my kind of card.

If you are doing this theme the Ordeals will be pretty sweet, particularly Thasa, Nylea and Heliod.

ALso