Sets (40K) Warhammer 40,000 Commander Set Previews

HOLEEEEEE...

Preordered that Necron deck for my artifact cube. I will pick & choose! Complete game changer!! Black will be super fun now. :)

As far as singles, preordered 1x..
1663296911440.png
and 1x..
1663296943983.png

Everything else, honestly, I will let others ID the most interesting cards and/or wait for them to drop. I really could see these two going up though so I went and got em. I am never really happy with my green 6-drops & I think I would love to have an Izzet Hydroid Krasis analog in my main cube.

Super cool stuff in these decks! The flavor and art is crazy.

This Warhammer spoiler season is such an unexpected blessing. I like how I wrote off the Necron deck as a dud earlier today and now it has its own batch of cards I love that would rival a normal full set by itself
It's wild, I was so disappointed by the first dozen spoils thinking we wouldn't get the sweet black artifact support I had imagined in my head, and now, yeah -- if spoilers ended here, I'd be plenty satisfied.

triarchpraetorian.jpg

This is everything, absolutely everything, I want in a Magic card.

1. A flying 2-powered dude for 2 that can block.
2. A reverse Mulldrifter (!) in the graveyard.
3. Randomly (but appropriately) an artifact creature??

I can't wait to Faithless Looting this away turn one and then immediately Unearth it turn two and draw two cards, swing in for 4-6 flying damage and then sac it to Goblin Bombardment or trade it off in combat, then unearth it using the keyword this time to hit my opponent for two and draw another two cards, one of which is a Fireblast for lethal. This isn't Magical Christmasland, this is Magic: the Gathering.

It doesn't look like a traditional Magic card but it looks cool enough I'm not mad. It just barely gets there on the "can my opponent who doesn't know the card tell it has flying from just the art?" test, but it does get there, and that's a vastly important consideration for my Cube which seeks to maximize playability for the less enfranchised. The frame, which has been reasonably critiqued on this thread, jives better with black artifact creatures.

This legitimately might be one of my favorite 2-drops in black. Is the power level the same as something like Bob? No, but I wouldn't' be surprised if the ACS is that it deals more damage to your opponent, deals less damage to you, and draws a similar amount of cards. And it does this while opening up even more creative and synergistic play patterns. Excellent cube card. Excellent Magic card.

Sorry for the double-post, but three new Swamps!! Two of these are actually quite good, I'm excited to pick them up.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 8.49.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-15 at 8.49.54 PM.png
    420.8 KB · Views: 3
It's wild, I was so disappointed by the first dozen spoils thinking we wouldn't get the sweet black artifact support I had imagined in my head, and now, yeah -- if spoilers ended here, I'd be plenty satisfied.

View attachment 7397

This is everything, absolutely everything, I want in a Magic card.

1. A flying 2-powered dude for 2 that can block.
2. A reverse Mulldrifter (!) in the graveyard.
3. Randomly (but appropriately) an artifact creature??

I can't wait to Faithless Looting this away turn one and then immediately Unearth it turn two and draw two cards, swing in for 4-6 flying damage and then sac it to Goblin Bombardment or trade it off in combat, then unearth it using the keyword this time to hit my opponent for two and draw another two cards, one of which is a Fireblast for lethal. This isn't Magical Christmasland, this is Magic: the Gathering.

It doesn't look like a traditional Magic card but it looks cool enough I'm not mad. It just barely gets there on the "can my opponent who doesn't know the card tell it has flying from just the art?" test, but it does get there, and that's a vastly important consideration for my Cube which seeks to maximize playability for the less enfranchised. The frame, which has been reasonably critiqued on this thread, jives better with black artifact creatures.

This legitimately might be one of my favorite 2-drops in black. Is the power level the same as something like Bob? No, but I wouldn't' be surprised if the ACS is that it deals more damage to your opponent, deals less damage to you, and draws a similar amount of cards. And it does this while opening up even more creative and synergistic play patterns. Excellent cube card. Excellent Magic card.

I’m a big fan as well:

Necron got me wanting to go back a few iterations and re-add artifact theme. Lot of sweet ones all in my core color.

The frames from this set make it a lot harder to tell what cards are colored artifacts at a glance. Sucks.

Necron got me wanting to go back a few iterations and re-add artifact theme. Lot of sweet ones all in my core color.

The frames from this set make it a lot harder to tell what cards are colored artifacts at a glance. Sucks.
Plus a Black Cube is probably the single best home for a large quantity of Necrons. They seem quintessentially black!

Triarch Praetorian is cool, high ceiling/high floor/promotes synergy is the trifecta I look for. Combos with Unearth/Can't Stay Away/Rafinne's Reclamation, can be entombed with Goblin Engineer just like Scrapheap Scrounger for aggressively slanted artifact decks.
Poxwalker is pretty easy to enable and probably leads down some strange deckbuilding roads. Might be a bit too grindy for my likes.
Deathleaper, Terror Weapon has cool play patterns, it's a pretty bursty tempo swing both reactively and proactively, and it has some build-around appeal.
Noise Marine is an interesting Flametongue Kavu. Has the same trifecta as Triarch Praetorian. Cascade is a very high-variance mechanic I'm not sure how I feel about, but using Ephemerate as a storm finisher is a funny idea.
I'll probably do custom renders of these just for the border and typeline, we'll see if I bother finding art for them. Noise Marine probably ends up as garbage elemental if I do go for it.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
1663357649699.png
This is interesting. Halfway between baneslayer and Bishop of Rebirth?
1663357708999.png
This is a sweet tribal card!
1663357745102.png
All the damage of Rabblemaster without the free bodies, but you get...Vampiric Rites?
I can see a world where I'd want this.
1663357805935.png
Okay so if Blood Artist is S tier, I have definitely ran Falkenrath Noble along the lines of "Two copies of blood artist proved too good", this is worse in that it won't trigger off your opponent's creatures dying, but it can be pointed at creatures.
Also it does gain you life because this creature has lifelink, which is weirdly hidden text

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Sidebar: we do have the tokens for every deck EXCEPT the imperium for some reason, link me if I'm wrong please
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/warhammer-40000-commander-decklists

1663367824052.png
I'm liking this batch of vehicles which come with an initial crew. I'm not sure I want this specific statline, but teamwide flying is nice, but let's be honest, this costs 6.
1663367906904.png
Similarly, teamwide menace is nice, and this makes a dude each turn, but there's no survivability bump and this is a lot of mana to sink into something to just be blown out.
1663367974820.png
I've run the whole "half an elesh norn" effect seen here before, and it was WAY more effective than it had any right to be. It helps my format is specifically keyed around 1/1s in both tokens and aristocrats, but I think even the average cube probably gets a TON of milage out of something like this.
I think if you want an effect like this, a 3 color card is about the right amount of friction I'd want on something that can shut people down. I don't love that it's a card type this hard to interact with.
1663368455277.png
So if you can actually count on your opponent having creatures in play, this card has a solid body and represents a kajillion damage.
Obv that's no guarantee, but if even control decks have creatures in play in your cube, this card is scary in a good way.
1663368529176.png
Man who knew we'd have dealer's choice on 5 mana ETB kill a thing guys in this set? Necron Deathmark has a better body, Flash, and is an artifact, but oh man is Marsh Casualties a devastating card when it's good. I'm genuinely torn.
I could easily flip a coin and add whichever copy came up heads on a given week, and I don't think my cube wants 2 cards with this general effect.
1663368767647.png
Okay, so 3 mana Adanto Vanguard or 5 mana two Adanto Vanguards?
I think a few years back I would have pounced on something like this.
1663368850513.png
Similar line, 4 mana 3/3 disenchant or 6 mana pair of 3/3s, 2 disenchants
I'm not in love, but we don't really have something like this bar Rambunctious Mutt/Kor Sanctifiers (Neither of which look incredible by today's standards)
1663368988638.png
Simple, Clean, and will probably kill 2 things and leave behind a 4/4.
Possibly the most telegraphed play you can make on 5 mana btw, so don't expect this to work each time :p
1663369115476.png
The name's a bit weird here, this sounds like a sorcery not a creature.
I see a lot of the same play patterns here as Approach of the Second Sun, but with a different (more interactive) payoff, and while I feel that's a plus maybe the payoff is too small for all that work.
Also sometimes you will just get a 5/5 lifelink on T3 before you play your land. Make of that what you will.
1663369312308.png
This is kinda flash control magic which works better with blink. I can see someone wanting this.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
View attachment 7414
The name's a bit weird here, this sounds like a sorcery not a creature.
I see a lot of the same play patterns here as Approach of the Second Sun, but with a different (more interactive) payoff, and while I feel that's a plus maybe the payoff is too small for all that work.
Also sometimes you will just get a 5/5 lifelink on T3 before you play your land. Make of that what you will.
I have not forgotten how incredibly miserable miracle was to play against. This card is getting nowhere near my cube in a million years. Miracle can go screw itself, it's one of the worst mechanics ever printed, and it should have stayed dead. My $0.02.

I can very much imagine a token player casting The Flesh is Weak and wrathing their entire board because of how poorly the card is designed. Not something I'd recommend putting in your cube.

Triumph is at worst a 5/5 lifelink for 2 which while seriously overstatted, is not as swingy as a lot of other miracle cards. Not that it's a card I'd be interested in myself

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
You play the enchantment, put the etb trigger on the stack, then have your opponent point out the static ability kills all of your X/1 creatures before the trigger resolves.
I wasn't interested in the card to begin with, but you really unsold me on it :')

You play the enchantment, put the etb trigger on the stack, then have your opponent point out the static ability kills all of your X/1 creatures before the trigger resolves.
This effect is very fitting lore wise. In several books, the chapter in the art "the Iron Hands" which are superhuman warriors prosecute war in such a fashion that the normal human auxilary regiments can't keep up and die. The Iron Hands believe that strenght is all. They go so far that they even believe that their own flesh is weak and start replacing it with bionics. In the proces they start losing the last bit of their humanity.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
If I had a nickel for every time WotC made a card in the last 6 months that didn't quite work as intended, I'd have 15 cents (Which isn't a lot, but it's weird it happened this much)
(Look this "works" but still)
(The other two are Henzie "Toolbox" Torre and Serra Paragon, which actually needed rules fixes)

For Serra Paragon there's actually a freakin comic explaining it. https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/xfnfki/i_made_a_comic_explaining_how_serra_paragon/
If i understand it correctly, the problems actually Resultat from the simplicity of its wording:
a) The ability doesn't cast/play the card but enables you to do so.
b) The ability being static but not giving the card an alternative cost isn't covered by the rules in the sense that the game doesn't remember the way the card entered the battlefield.

Tl,dr: An effect like this wasn't expected to be designed and so the rules don't support it as intended.

Edit: The same might be true for the other card. Static ability, no alternative casting cost.

Laz

Developer
Very interesting.

The way I read the comic it simply states that the permanent will never give you life.
Or be exiled when it is removed from the battlefield. Looks like the rules don't account for a static ability allowing you to simply cast a permanent from the graveyard. It is a bit hard to work out what functioning rules text looks like which provides exactly that ability. Giving the ability to cast the card from the graveyard directly to the cards in the yard is hard to limit to once per turn, while making it a trigger that occurs in your upkeep or first main or whatever makes the card you select vulnerable to being removed from your yard.

I just cannot work out how Henzie "Toolbox" Torre is even supposed to work. The card gains the ability as you cast it? But it is an alternate casting cost - and it has already been cast? What? I suspect it was meant to be 'Creature cards with converted mana cost >4 in your hand gain Blitz. Their Blitz cost is equal to their mana cost.', but that probably doesn't work for some reason I don't understand.