Sets (40K) Warhammer 40,000 Commander Set Previews

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I don't understand why they printed this card in a straight-to legacy non-draftable set. This seems like the sort of thing that would go into a core set booster draft as a good signpost (with reminder text for slightly difficult keywords).
Because hexproof sucks? I don't care if it's bad, I'm happy with this just not existing :p

I'm testing these 3:
05 hormagaunthorde.jpg05 oldoneeye.jpg07 mawloc.jpg
And I'd probably be on Tyrant Guard as well but I'm so loaded on 3s

Looks like we're getting 1 new art of each relevant basic land for the Tyranid deck:

40k-317-forest.jpg40k-309-island.jpg40k-315-mountain.jpg

I don't think any of them are particularly special but I'm a big fan of getting unique styles for basics that let players deeply customize their land bases to match a deck's theme. For my cube, I keep my basic land box singleton to keep it thematically in touch with the cube itself, and I religiously maintain a list of what I think are the most exciting 60 basics for each type to delight my drafters. It works, and they are indeed delighted!

None of these are going to make it in, but I'm eager to see the rest, and hopeful that the mono black deck will have more than 1 artwork of swamp.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
Imotekh.jpg
This is kind of spicy! Suprised it wasn't mentioned yet!

Magus Lucea Kane.jpg
Also, in the long line of unexciting Temur legendaries, I present you... A 2/2 for 1GUR. Wow.

Ghyrson.jpg
This, on the other hand, is quite fun support for the little guys archetype, alongside stuff like Raid Bombardment, and it's also super sweet with Goblin Bombardment style effects!

Gargoyle Flock.jpg
Sorry for the quality of the image, but I like this. It's a Phantom Monster split over two bodies the turn it hits, but it steadily keeps pumping out little flyers. I kind of wish this was at the beginning of any end step, so it could support the {G/U} flash archetype (not that I support that archetype, but still, would have been a cooler design).

Shadow in the Warp.jpg
Is this a cool ramp spell? I kind of dig it...

Termagant Swarm.jpg
Oh how I wish this was a base 1/1!

Atalan Jackal.png
Honestly? Pretty sweet pump spell target!

mandateofabaddon.jpg
Extinction Event is fairly playable and this is a bit more powerful and a bit easier to control, even if it's also easier for your opponent to interact with. I think it seems fun, it'd be great to blow someone out with them only for them to blow me out in game 2 or something.

poxwalkers.jpg
I like this card a lot mechanically, but the difference of "casting" something from graveyard vs. reanimating it is going to confuse players and hurt the viability of Poxwalkers overall. I don't have many Cascade cards and there's only so many "cast from exile" effects in red that this just doesn't get there as a build-around, but I'm pleased by its existence all the same.

nurglesrot.jpg
I'd love to live the Nurgle dream! This would be a trap in my cube because people would be overly motivated to play it...both an argument for and against it.

lordofchange.jpg
Sphinx of Enlightenment is an underplayed card in the cube community, and this is pretty similar. I like not giving my opponent a card but I'd really rather not pay 7.

heraldsoftzeentch.jpg
Neat!

Nothing I'm planning on testing today so far, and the designs are a bit more...basic(?) than I was expecting from this set, but I'm enjoying spoiler season all the same even as a non-40k fan.

Oh, also! Basic lands!!

Can't post them here because my screengrabs are too big and I'm too annoyed to manually resize them / they're not anywhere else online I can easily find, so check them out here. The mountain is pretty sweet!

Chris Taylor

Contributor
lordofchange.jpg

Sphinx of Enlightenment is an underplayed card in the cube community, and this is pretty similar. I like not giving my opponent a card but I'd really rather not pay 7.
Simple, elegant, Love ward 3, shame it costs 7 but I understand it, 6/6 is deceptively big.
I think current synergy concerns have me leaning away from this but I LOVE the card.
1663199353629.png
Is this thing surprisingly solid? While spells matter 5 drops aren't really where I love cards, it's suprisingly sticky and those triggers can be pointed at creatures as well. Interesting card.

1663199729122.png
I love this card :D It's not good, it's a really bad 5 mana sweeper unless somehow you find yourself being the only one at the table with 4 toughness creatures, but I do love it.
It's like reverse duneblast

1663199829115.png
This sounds like a nightmare to play against, I'm interested.
Artifact creature as well!

1663199852990.png
Hilarious name aside, this is better body, one-trigger-a-round Morbid Opportunist, which has been a card I've been interested in.
I do look forward to someone dying to a gigantic creature brawl + killspell putting 7 other dudes in the bin :D

1663199993994.png
This seems pretty cheap for this effect? It won't exile anything so you can just loop time walk if your graveyard is empty (if you're into that sort of thing), and delve will let you manipulate those odds.
The body's nothing to write home about, but I think this adds up solidly.
1663200064996.png
Yeah sure! Smash!
1663200088382.png
There's a lot of words here, but it adds up to "ETB or Dies: vindicate"
It's also got a solid body for that line of text, and it's an artifact. Sounds amazing for any welder decks.

lordofchange.jpg

I don't think Sphinx of Enlightenment is underplayed. Costing 6, no protection, and giving the opponent free stuff isn't the recipe for a good card.

Lord of change, by contrast, looks super cool. The mana cost is a little high for it to be something regularly cast outside of maybe a Simic ramp deck. However, it is a fantastic Blue reanimator target for people who don't like the poor play patterns of Inkwell Leviathan. This is definitely one of the coolest cards in the set so far.

1663199829115.png

This sounds like a nightmare to play against, I'm interested.
Artifact creature as well!
This is super sexy. It kind of fits into the same sort of shell as Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger. I'd be a little more interested if R/B wasn't already so stacked, but this is so cool it might be worth a nod anyway. I wonder how expensive the surge foil version will be...

1663249526995.png
====
Psychomancer

Flying

Whenever ~ or another nontoken artifact you control is put into a graveyard or exiled from the battlefield, target opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
====

Ineteresting...although it is a shame it's nontoken :(

landofMordor

Administrator
Am I the only person who really dislikes the frame they're using for these cards? I feel like that's my biggest barrier for considering any of these cards.
I'm trying to keep an open mind, because I don't wanna become a "Magic frame boomer", but... yeah they're not pretty. Something about the fake-metallic sheen to them gives me the sense of Moire vibration, and I don't like

Warhammer does take place in the 42nd century, so not surprising on the futuristic part lol. But yeah they look a little... chintzy

Not surprising at all, no.

The surprising part was the ‘go ahead’ to the person who suggested the product in the first place.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
View attachment 7382
====
Psychomancer

Flying

Whenever ~ or another nontoken artifact you control is put into a graveyard or exiled from the battlefield, target opponent loses 1 life and you gain 1 life.
====

Ineteresting...although it is a shame it's nontoken :(
I think this card is probably on balance worse than Disciple of the Vault, and that's saying something :(
Okay the hype train has slowed, so far less excited for necrons :p

Which is a shame, I LOVE a good black artifact
Like even this:
1663272132025.png
That's cute, but it's SO SLOW. I'm not even on phyrexian arena at this point, you want me to wait how long before this card has text?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Okay the spoiler gods heard me talking shit so now I gotta post about the rest of this deck I guess :rolleyes:
1663279085418.png
IDK if this sparks joy but it's interesting. Lotta good words on it.
1663279107993.png
Lotta good words on this too. I'm not sure it fits into what my specific artifact deck is doing, but this is cool.
1663279145487.png
This card makes some BODIES. Love a good black 5, I've never really been happy with any but shriekmaw, and it's only barely a 5
1663279213798.png
Speaking of Shriekmaw! Flash is a big upgrade, and this body is a real ass threat. Plus hey, you can mill yourself and kill their thing, even if that feels a bit unintuitive at first.
1663279284799.png
Okay sure, 6 mana sorcery that does the opposite of impact the board, but if you live till chapter 3 that is a hell of a payoff.
1663279321501.png
This did exist, but it was (one of two) 10 mana white cards or Phyrexian Scriptures, whereas this is a bit more paletable. Honestly surprised it took this long!
1663279383169.png
This is also just like a solid value card I think. Both halves are artifacts?
1663279417465.png
More cool things to weld in and out (specifically in here). The body isn't embarassing, but maybe you just wanna be welding 6s and not messing around with this?
1663279466960.png
Okay this I have to call out for the worst incentive structure ever :p
What number of creatures do you control where you don't just laugh at this trigger?

1663279512180.png
Also this guy, who is a peasant tinker target for those that want that.
I, on the other hand, have died of laughter and/or only controlling 5 creatures

I appreciate that they took this opportunity to give black some actually playable flash creatures. It's not something that actually matters to my cube but it's a thing that's mega-lacking in Magic's history to date. (also I have an all-flash cube on cubecobra for the memes so it's appreciated for color balance)

in addition to the shriekmaw above there's also this guy:
sautekhimmortal.jpg

6C160075-0474-4BCF-835C-053585414007.jpeg
I’m pretty interested in this…in my environment this could make a loooot of flying bodies. I like that you can target yourself with this, it can welded into play, and is larkable