General 5colour/Domain

Dom Harvey

Contributor
Any thoughts on how to support a coherent 5c theme? Usually when a 5c deck works it's because someone scooped up all the fixing early and then just took the best card in every pack, which works less often than you'd think. Is it possible to have a distinct '5 colour deck', and do you have to bring the power level down to do it?

- Elementals is interesting but the payoff cards aren't really there - Soulstoke can be great, but often isn't; otherwise, the best Elemental tribal card is... Flamekin Harbinger for some good card that happens to be an Elemental. This could be yet another thing to anchor red in though. Primal Beyond in the ULD?

- Fifth Dawn doesn't give us much to work with. Etched Oracle isn't above the curve for mono-coloured 4-drops nowadays (partner in crime Etched Monstrosity is powerful but slooooooow); Clearwater Goblet might be good but is highly obnoxious. The Black/White Bringers maybe?

- Are any of the actual WUBRG cards worth it? Chromanticore is hilarious but kinda bad, Child of Alara is neat but awkward if your manafixing comes from nonland perms, Maelstrom Nexus has Mirari's Wake syndrome, Maelstrom Archangel is excessive unless your Cube/deck has Eldrazi or w/e. See above for Horde of Notions.

Personally I think the "payoff" of going 5c is that you'll get pretty awesome cards from all the colors aka the best goodstuff deck. I might be wrong about that but I've realised that most of the time when I went 5 color, at least one other person on the table was close to mono colored. Therefore one could imagine that there is a relation between people going into both extremes. If people going 5c make people go into more monocolorish decks it might work the other way around, though I am not sure of this. So in a way you could try to create payoffs for people going monocolored in order to support 5c decks.
That wasn't even your question? I see....
Uhm I think payoffs could consist of a theme that's existing in each of the colors(quite like elementals/humans) so that the 4-5c player will have access to all the different payoff cards for the theme. Another thing that could work is just putting a lot of the power in 2 colored cards which will lead to the 4-5c dude snapping them all up and having yet another goodstuff deck. Idk, Tribal Flames sure is a start.

CML

Contributor
tough one to balance. nobody drafts 5c cards in our more powerful cubes. the obverse is: slow environments with too much fixing and too little early pressure tend towards actually fulfilling the "5c goodstuff" fallacy (certainly true in pauper edh, maybe true for mm15, who knows). having tried i wouldn't try again

i remember the last time i proxied a custom cube i had stuff like the bringer of the X dawn "you may cast this for {W}{U}{B}{R}{G}" stapled onto a few expensive better cards like consecrated sphinx, angel of serenity, etc
also a bunch of custom fuse cards, which is part of what it was, cards that were plenty playable in monocolored decks but if you went 5 color really had an added kick.

i mean i guess that's the idea behind cards like dragonsoul knight but they just don't work in most of our cubes

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Obviously this is one of the themes of Eldrazi Domain. The biggest benefit, outside of explicit support, to going multicolor is that your deck ends up with higher average card quality or can exploit more cross-color synergies.

Generally the way our cubes are weighted, as CML noted, is that the marginal added card quality for going 5-color is not enough to compensate for the added inconsistency in mana base, especially with a lower critical turn leading to things being less forgiving towards stumbling on mana.

I think Tribal Flames is straight-up playable in any cube that uses Duals/Shocks/Fetches as fixing, and is a fairly simple card that rewards drafting/deckbuilding/sequencing in varying amounts, and would recommend it as a replacement to #TeamVolcanicHammer.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member

Jason, can you give us a few words on these?

Allied Strategies is not what higher power cubes want. It's a Tidings with marginal upside (sometimes), and we're not playing Tidings, so...

Worldly Counsel is fine, but again, most people aren't running Impulse anymore I think? If you want to push the theme, I think it's fine, because a 2-color + splash deck can play it and not feel totally embarrassed.

But you should play this card:

Wait's for CML to take the bait.

But really, Evasive Action is great in Riplab cubes. I would say run it and Tribal Flames as the start to your theme.

Since everyone's talking about cross-color sinergies as a payoff, it looks like in my cube there is a lot of tension between drafting a 2-colored "straight" aggro deck or a 3/4-colored aggro-combo one. I guess you can accentuate this by inserting 3-color combos (we have Aluren + AEther Adept/Dream Stalker here, but no blue/green card to turn those infinite ETBs into a combo) or just putting payoff cards in different colors (Champion of the Parish, Xathrid Necromancer, Mayor of Avabruck)

If you aggressively rotate cards in and out of your cube between draft meetups, Worldknit is a fine 5 color enabler to have some of the time. It's just kinda annoying when it shows up all of the time.