General Alchemy

New suite of alchemy cards dropped.

91387_Printed_EmmaraVoiceoftheConclave_1k5n6ap66r68.png91389_Printed_TajicLegion'sValor_8y3w3d293zm4.png

Spellbooks are too annoying for me to even consider but I am sad that they wasted excellent art of beloved characters on Alchemy-only cards. Wish we got them in the commander decks instead or something.

91395_Printed_EmporiumThopterist_lwv6l759kuq8.png

Very very close to just printing this one out. I'm pretty sure every playgroup has at least 3 people who would be obsessed with this card, and it's easy enough to do in paper (and a good excuse to get a bunch of unique printings for Ornithopter into your token box).

91383_Printed_GuildpactGreenwalker_nsbdkjy0lca8.png

Pretty easy to play with in paper, makes for some very silly games. Can't say I hate the baseline 3-mv 4/4 that gives gold cards ward either.

91404_Printed_VekoDeath'sDoorkeeper_dt1nr7ld1mmf.png

A million things to like about this card and can definitely be played in paper, but I'd consider it too fiddly if it were a "real" Magic card in all likeliness. I love a good 1/3 for 2 with Extort. I love a reanimator-alike kind of thing that leans much more into the "value-reanimator" but still won't mind too much if your Atraxa is a 1/1 for 1. Super sweet design, I hate Alchemy so much.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Honestly, you could put Shove Aside in paper Magic:

I know the WotC policy is that "remembering who played first is online-only" but I do like smoothing out the on-the-play advantage.
Fine on turn 3, but will you remember on turn 10 is the idea.

Really Bad Giant Growth would be an interesting choice for the green member.

Healing Peeling {W}
Sorcery
If you aren't the starting Player, you may cast this spell any time you could cast an instant.
Choose one —
• Prevent the next 3 damage that would be dealt to any target.

Incredible

Hmm, good question. Could happen when one's game is interrupted by (small) life?

True

For me it’s just difficult to imagine. It’s much easier to forget your rebound spell in exile during the upkeep or if a land has been played in a turn that has lasted ten minutes than it is to forget who started the game. Maybe it’s just my brain that is wired weird.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I forget if I've played a land yet, I forget which game of the match this is, I sure as hell forget who went first

Magic is complicated, and there's a lot to keep track of.
I don't think this kind of card is unusable, but it's adding another thing to keep track of for not a lot of gain imo

Everyone is wired differently. People tend to forget repeated actions, I guess Chris played way too many games ;)

okay yes, who went first can be forgotten but… we could just write it down at the beginning of the match (?) like, i don’t know if any of you ever played without any way of keeping track of life total, that is a BIG mess but is still doable. with a piece of paper we can just write down the life total and not worry about it. the same could be done for who went first, it’s not a big deal imho

I forget if I've played a land yet, I forget which game of the match this is, I sure as hell forget who went first

Magic is complicated, and there's a lot to keep track of.
I don't think this kind of card is unusable, but it's adding another thing to keep track of for not a lot of gain imo
I mean, I will absolutely forget. but then I'll ask my opponent, and if we both forget we either count the cards (difficult) or shrug and say "yeah it was probably you/probably not you"

(also it's only hard to remember game one as long as everyone chooses to play, which does help the memory issue a lot)

(clearly we just need multiple copies of Power Play in the cube)

(if multiple players has a copy of Power Play you decide between them at random, this is the actual ruling and I am not making it up)

One of these stands out to me as totally fine to run as-is.

A) when are you picking that third option?
B) if I had forgotten who was the starting player I would be totally fine with my opponent playing a non-cantripping Revitalize, lmao. Like, sure, buddy. Whatever you want.