Alvoi's Cube

Thank you! You're right, at the moment the cube is just some union of collections of cards, I need to find some more glue between the archetypes. Varolz and the scavenge cards are good ideas, I forgot about that mechanic but feels good with the dredge archetype. I think we can find some counter synergies between the scavenge cards and the modular cards

Posting here because it's my topic but could interest someone else. I had an idea for a cube with only creatures (and fixing lands obviously), the idea came to me by looking at the list of combos that someone posted and I noticed that there were a lot of fun interactions between creatures like reveillark, karmic guide, mulldrifter, saffi eriksdotter etc but usually when I play with my main cube the creatures are just secondary and the games are won by the powerful spells. So I thought what if I made a cube with only creatures? Obviously we need 187 creatures and evoke and stuff like that but I think this could be a fun interesting idea. Do you have any suggestions? I'm really bad at creating cubes so I kinda need a lot of help

Well, MaRo always says, regarding the set Legions, which was all creatures, that designing for a gimmick is not a good reason for design. However, I think there is the potential, with how many creature cards we have in existence today, to make that work and have a fun cube. And you could certainly hook some people with that headline. But what are you going to do when they print the perfect red card draw that you wanted for your format, but it's a sorcery. Are you going to stick with the suboptimal choice?

TL;DR: I get the appeal and it could work, but is the restriction really worth it?

Hello everyone, little update by me! Regarding the "Modern Masters" style Cube, I ended up putting a peasant rarity restriction a while ago, and it feels way closer to what I originally planned for it. Obviously I know that rarity is just a colour and I should mainly keep an eye on the power level instead, but having some constraint helps me as a guideline for keeping the Cube updated. I just added five cards from Outlaws, so here is the list: https://cubecobra.com/cube/list/alvoi-mma if you want to try it out and give me some advice, I would be grateful! Sadly I moved, hence I don't live anymore close to where my group of Magic friends was, but I hope to be back in the summer to try out the new cards of this Cube!

The archetypes are the same as in Modern Masters the original set, so azorius affinity, dimir faeries, rakdos goblins, gruul storm-suspend, selesnya tokens-thallids, orzhov rebels, izzet arcanes, golgari dredge, boros giants and simic domain. I have a couple of "silver-bordered" cards: Imaginary Friends, Buried Ogre, Lazier Goblin, Krosan Adaptation, the incredible Barry's Land, and a copy of How to Keep an Izzet Mage Busy where I added the "Arcane" subtype with a sharpie.

Sometimes I am not great at seeing if there are evident power level outliers in the Cube (meaning cards that are too strong or too weak), so I hope to get a couple of suggestions about that. Also, I made the cuts for the Outlaws cards very quickly, and maybe there are better changes to do. If you know some cards that fit the themes good, tell me, we cannot know all cards in the history of Magic, so probably there is a card that is perfect for this Cube and I don't even know it exists!

I did a draft of your cube

https://cubecobra.com/cube/deck/73d75cf0-260d-4fd5-8717-c34ae384990c

It was fun! A few things I noticed here: There was very very little fixing. I would highly recommend to add at least a couple cycles of simple tapped lands to reduce non-games. Also, I'm not sure the arcane stuff is working, many cards felt Werk even at that power level. And like other said, I would be careful to not copy MMAs biggest flaw: Being a drafting on rails format. But I gotta admit you've found some nice overlaps for your themes here and there.

Thank you Ravnic! Yeah I think you found most of my current concerns with the cube ahah

Regarding fixing: I think it is partially desired, because I do not want people to play 4-5 colour nonsense with all strong cards and without synergy. That's why I followed the original MMA design and put only basic landcyclers as fixing: we have three full cycles (Gleam of Resistance, Eagles of the North and Landscaper Colos) plus a couple of "five colour" fixing lands, and the Vivids. I think this should be enough for two-coloured and maybe also three-coloured decks, but I am open to advice! :)

The arcane stuff... I don't know. I usually alternate between "the arcane deck is unplayable" and "the arcane deck is the most powerful thing I have played in my life". The problem is... I don't know which one it is! Since I have not yet played irl with the Cube, all of my testing has been just in the draft portion and not in the gameplay. Sometimes I think that How to Keep an Izzet Mage Busy is busted because it basically is a permanent that can't be interacted with, and permits perpetual milling, damage prevention, and remouval... some other times maybe the deck falls apart by itself. I hope next summer I will have time and friends to draft this Cube and see how the arcane deck works!

Yes, the drafting on rails is also one of my biggest concerns. That's why I am very happy for the printing of cards like Tribune of Rot, that I feel like is perfect for my Cube: it slots very well both in the BG Dredge archetype and in the GW Thallids archetype, but I would consider it also in a BR Goblins since the self mill and the tokens are very nice for cards like Warren Pilferers and Dark-Dweller Oracle, and it doesn't feel out of place even in any other black or green archetype.

One thing I was considering to prevent the draft to be too much on rails is to branch archetypes out of their original two-colour combination. For example, in MMA the Giants archetype is just Boros, but recently there have been many nice Izzet Giants (like Aegar, the Freezing Flame and Invasion of the Giants) so I could consider making the Giant archetype for example centered in Red, with the possibility of doing either RW or UR or even Jeskai Giants. A similar thing I already did for the Arcanes archetype, that branched into white for Candles' Glow and Ethereal Haze (so, Arcanes is either UR or WU or Jeskai, or even UB if we lean heavily into the mill plan, with cards like Stream of Thought and Mind Funeral). I could add black Saproling-makers, or red artifact-matters cards, or blue Storm payoff, etc etc. But then there is the risk that everything becomes a soup of colours, and I wouldn't like that too much...