General Archetype Support

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
In the interest of not absolutely destroying the conversation, here are the conclusions I've come to after designing several cubes, and finally achieving an environment that I am happy with.

A long time ago I read an article that analogized cube design to telling a story, and I think there are some uses to that analogy (but please don't take it too far). You are creating a world and an experience, and its important that it be one thats compelling and interesting to your players. Often times that means running cards that you or your players love, and this usually provides the basic context for an environment's creation.

I always tell people, as an initial step to designing a cube, to lay out the ten guilds and brainstorm a theme and subordinate theme for each of them. The more detailed you can be about each theme, the better. This is because those themes will fill a role in your cube somewhat like the characters in a story; and who likes a story that eschews character development completely? I feel this is the underlining problem with a lot of good stuff cubes. There might be some vague ideas about different decks, but entire sections of the cube will be left blank, and there won't be much thought put into how each deck will have its own distinct personality. The end result will be decks that feel very samey: a bland soulless collection of good cards clumped at certain points of the mana curve; the logical result of having given little to no thought to the quirks, personality traits, voice, or motivations of the different guild combinations (or wedges or shards if you are going there).

Archetype design is very tricky, and is firstly informed by the expectations of the players. For example, what makes a control deck a control deck? For many players its the experience of growing up with U/W based wrath decks, which than becomes the designer's basis for designing a cube in a certain way. Does it have to be that way? No, but you also have to balance player expectations with what you are capable of building into an environment.

However, that is not enough, as archetypes have to also be effectively built into an environment, in a way that people will actually play them. If we break the game down to a very elemental level, where we are measuring surges of assertive activity at different mana points (which is an oversimplified model, but bear with me, as this is for illustrative purposes), its obvious that we want interaction (aka people actually playing the game) up the entire breadth of the mana curve. However, its not a given that this will happen, if one mana point (say the point with a clustering of super powered planeswalkers and ETB creatures) provides a grossly superior experience compared to the other mana points.

This can be addressed by making themes feel more distinct or entertaining, and also by creating strategic space. The problem with running ubiquitously powerful cards is that without constraints they, by their nature, take context out of the environment, which is the bread and butter of being able to support archetypes and themes in the first place. Eternal formats tend to get their constraints from a variety of sources (wasteland, thoughtseize, and force of will in some formats, miserable 8th edition hate cards in other formats) but cube has never really focused on this, and I think its because of the formats origin as a kitchen table, power max, casual format. Without constraints (other than the comparative power of individual cards), people will gravitate towards playing wherever on the mana curve the greatest concentration of powerful cards are. Thus you end up with the old dragon formats, or more contemporary midrange good stuff formats: same monster, different era.

I didn't realize this until I started experimenting with low power formats and cards. The easiest example I can give are the bouncelands in the penny cube, which are very powerful to control, ramp, or midrange decks, but constrained by the fact that they CIPT. This creates a strategic space for two color aggro or tempo decks to fill, and this back and forth gives the format a lot of its personality. Also note that this is more of a bifurcated design model, rather than a roshambo model.

In the interest of not absolutely destroying the conversation, here are the conclusions I've come to after designing several cubes, and finally achieving an environment that I am happy with.

A long time ago I read an article that analogized cube design to telling a story, and I think there are some uses to that analogy (but please don't take it too far). You are creating a world and an experience, and its important that it be one thats compelling and interesting to your players. Often times that means running cards that you or your players love, and this usually provides the basic context for an environment's creation.

I always tell people, as an initial step to designing a cube, to lay out the ten guilds and brainstorm a theme and subordinate theme for each of them. The more detailed you can be about each theme, the better. This is because those themes will fill a role in your cube somewhat like the characters in a story; and who likes a story that eschews character development completely? I feel this is the underlining problem with a lot of good stuff cubes. There might be some vague ideas about different decks, but entire sections of the cube will be left blank, and there won't be much thought put into how each deck will have its own distinct personality. The end result will be decks that feel very samey: a bland soulless collection of good cards clumped at certain points of the mana curve; the logical result of having given little to no thought to the quirks, personality traits, voice, or motivations of the different guild combinations (or wedges or shards if you are going there).

Archetype design is very tricky, and is firstly informed by the expectations of the players. For example, what makes a control deck a control deck? For many players its the experience of growing up with U/W based wrath decks, which than becomes the designer's basis for designing a cube in a certain way. Does it have to be that way? No, but you also have to balance player expectations with what you are capable of building into an environment.

However, that is not enough, as archetypes have to also be effectively built into an environment, in a way that people will actually play them. If we break the game down to a very elemental level, where we are measuring surges of assertive activity at different mana points (which is an oversimplified model, but bear with me, as this is for illustrative purposes), its obvious that we want interaction (aka people actually playing the game) up the entire breadth of the mana curve. However, its not a given that this will happen, if one mana point (say the point with a clustering of super powered planeswalkers and ETB creatures) provides a grossly superior experience compared to the other mana points.

This can be addressed by making themes feel more distinct or entertaining, and also by creating strategic space. The problem with running ubiquitously powerful cards is that without constraints they, by their nature, take context out of the environment, which is the bread and butter of being able to support archetypes and themes in the first place. Eternal formats tend to get their constraints from a variety of sources (wasteland, thoughtseize, and force of will in some formats, miserable 8th edition hate cards in other formats) but cube has never really focused on this, and I think its because of the formats origin as a kitchen table, power max, casual format. Without constraints (other than the comparative power of individual cards), people will gravitate towards playing wherever on the mana curve the greatest concentration of powerful cards are. Thus you end up with the old dragon formats, or more contemporary midrange good stuff formats: same monster, different era.

I didn't realize this until I started experimenting with low power formats and cards. The easiest example I can give are the bouncelands in the penny cube, which are very powerful to control, ramp, or midrange decks, but constrained by the fact that they CIPT. This creates a strategic space for two color aggro or tempo decks to fill, and this back and forth gives the format a lot of its personality. Also note that this is more of a bifurcated design model, rather than a roshambo model.

This is really interesting stuff and great advice. I'm having trouble understanding what it has to do with the scope of the thread? I am sure there is a connection here I am just having trouble applying it.

I don't really see the confusion: the OP asked questions about defining and supporting archetypes/themes, which is what the post was about.

So do you go out of your way to support specific archetypes? Or do you just let whatever develops organically be the archetypes? For instance, do you go out of your way to ensure there are enough cards that an early-game deck can get drafted?

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Like I stated, I start with guild theme pairings and make those as reasonably definite as I can on the first draft. I try to provide strategic space for the different archetypes to develop in using some sort of reasonable conditionality on the cards to create format constraints.

Than you just balance based on play testing and user feedback.

Usually the problem with archetypes isn't a question of just ensuring X number of cards are in the cube. That cube academy article you read is ok, but its really dated. It was dated over a year ok when I first stumbled upon it and tried to spruce up my old cube's aggro sections with it, to little success.

James Stevenson

Steamflogger Boss
Staff member
That cube academy article you read is ok, but its really dated. It was dated over a year ok when I first stumbled upon it and tried to spruce up my old cube's aggro sections with it, to little success.
I've got very little idea of what's in the cube academy, but if you were to propose any rewrites we could definitely update it.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
Well, in its defense, it isn't telling you how to design an interesting, effective aggro section, its telling you that you should have an aggro section and that in order to have an aggro section you need to actually commit a certain mass of cards. So, yeah, its dated because most have us have gone way past that level of thinking and expect much more out of our archetypes then merely being "functional", but I'm sure people who are brand new to this still gleam insight from it. I glanced through a lot of that content and it does seem "old" now, but the deeper you get into these topics the harder it is to write broadly about them. I'm not saying someone can't do it, but I'm pretty sure I can't.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
I've got very little idea of what's in the cube academy, but if you were to propose any rewrites we could definitely update it.

Its ok. The first article I wrote is basically a response (addendum?) to it. I think its more that when you come to the site, its very easy to find the cube academy articles, but all of the other articles you have to use the search function to find.

And to be fair, any article is going to get dated after a point, and that article in particular isn't necessarily bad, until you get to this:

Most aggro cards don’t look flashy or exciting. If you’re trying to have fun – and why else would we Cube, or play Magic at all? – it might seem counter-intuitive to fill your sleeves with Goblin Patrols instead of more interesting cards, especially if aggro isn’t your thing. However, it’s a necessary sacrifice in the wider interests of your Cube.

Ouch

Dom Harvey

Contributor
If I were writing those articles nowadays - and I'm happy to rewrite them if there's enough demand - they would look a lot different, but they were meant as a starting point that didn't stray too far from the other content other there rather than something to take as gospel permanently.

I feel like the overall theme of that article still holds no matter what. The weaker you make your early-game section, the more dominant of a strategy just playing a late game deck becomes. Any time you have a dominant strategy in your environment I think you have a problem. If the earliest your early-game deck can win is turn 5 or 6, I feel like you wind up with a pretty boring cube.

Someone said it earlier: you need to have the possibility of drafting/constructing decks that can showcase strength throughout the course of the game. I think in general, late-game deck support happens almost without trying when making a cube. But maybe I am wrong, I have not been doing this for long.

Does anyone here have specific predilections or reservations about where they like to see decks winning? E.g. is there anyone who is uncomfortable with a draft environment with the consistent appearance of decks that can reliably win by turn 4?

is there anyone who is uncomfortable with a draft environment with the consistent appearance of decks that can reliably win by turn 4?

I'm uncomfortable with it, but I'm very likely in the minority on that. IMO, the faster the game is, the fewer decisions there are in game and the more important decisions you make before the game become versus actually playing the game (drafting, building your deck, taking mulligans, side boarding, etc.). Nothing wrong with that (constructed magic has always operated this way). Some really enjoy those aspects of the game. I'm not one of those people. I prefer deeper in game decisions, and you get more of that with a slower (more homogenized) meta.

If the earliest your early-game deck can win is turn 5 or 6, I feel like you wind up with a pretty boring cube.

There are consequences to slowing the game down, especially in a high power format like cube. I wouldn't call it boring though, just different. IMO, you have to cull the top end so that control decks can't just run away with the game after turn 4. Modern finishers function as both a stabilizing effect as well as a win condition. Finishers back in the day generally just did one or the other so getting to 6 mana wasn't quite the death sentence for aggressive decks as it is today.

The real beauty of cube is all these options you have. You are literally building your own block format, and there are many many ways you can do it.

I feel like the overall theme of that article still holds no matter what. The weaker you make your early-game section, the more dominant of a strategy just playing a late game deck becomes. Any time you have a dominant strategy in your environment I think you have a problem. If the earliest your early-game deck can win is turn 5 or 6, I feel like you wind up with a pretty boring cube.

Someone said it earlier: you need to have the possibility of drafting/constructing decks that can showcase strength throughout the course of the game. I think in general, late-game deck support happens almost without trying when making a cube. But maybe I am wrong, I have not been doing this for long.

Does anyone here have specific predilections or reservations about where they like to see decks winning? E.g. is there anyone who is uncomfortable with a draft environment with the consistent appearance of decks that can reliably win by turn 4?

I've won T3 before in my cube once off of some ridiculously good luck. That said, it was a niche case, and most aggro decks close no sooner than 4 or 5, and even then only in best-case scenarios can they do so reliably. I don't find that "boring", because I built this cube to play it, not to sequence out a T3 win every time I draft into an aggressive deck. For as long as the drafting process is, from getting out the cube, shuffling it, making packs, drafting, utility land drafting, deckbuilding, getting lands... There's a lot of work that goes into a cube session, and I don't do it to play for 3 turns. I like playing Magic, and I like beating my opponent, but I like having fun, too, and those hyper-aggressive T3 win decks are usually not super fun to me because they usually just have one avenue for victory: mulligan correctly and sequence the first few turns or lose. Winning in 3-4 turns off of vanilla beaters, burn, and completely busted effects seem a lot more boring to me than winning on T5-6 after a good aggressive start and some fancy closer moves, but YPMV (Your Philosophy May Vary); I'd strongly encourage you to get in lots of experience with both types of decks, though, and really analyze if you're having fun because the deck is fun or if you're having fun because winning=fun. Those experiences are different, and I prefer when I can have both types of fun. But better still - when my deck is fun, and I lose, I feel a lot better than I do losing with a deck that isn't particularly fun.

As far as this whole thread goes, re: archetypes, as I see them:
Aggro - Strike Fast, Win
Midrange - Overwhelm, Win
Control - Inevitably, Win
Combo - Oops, I Win

The difference between midrange and control, to me, is that midrange generally means overwhelming an opponent. While midrange (like aggro and combo) both utilize control cards like spot removal, midrange is defined, to me, by the presence of a more cohesive Threat plan than a cohesive Answer plan. Midrange wants to keep playing big bomby threats turn after turn; Control wants to answer those threats and lay the groundwork for a win later.

However, I don't like looking too hard at these archetypes, because I think they should only really be guidelines. They're Constructed concepts, and trying to translate them into cube literally is often unproductive due to the high variance and lack of redundancy/consistency that Constructed offers. I much prefer breaking down decks in combination terms with modifiers;
Attrition-based BR Aggro-Control
WG Aggro with strong midgame
BG Titania Recursive Midrange-Control
...And so on and so forth. It just doesn't really seem useful to try so hard to categorize every last deck into one of 4 categories; that's unproductive. I find a less demanding, more precise model much more fruitful in analyzing decks, and cater to their needs accordingly. It's all about providing flexible tools for each sort of deck and being aware that most every deck will flex around between two categories. I think most good decks are anchored mostly in one category, but being able to spread into another is what makes decks good over here; flexibility is something you have to build into your cube, but I really enjoy it, and I like that most Riptide cubes that I follow feature some degree of flexibility, too.

Finally, re: Aggro in a Midrange World; the way aggro decks compete later depends a lot on the format, but having "weaker" aggro tools does not inhibit aggro generally if you keep those tools exciting. Most aggro decks here punch hard in the first phase of the game and then transition into something else to finish off the opponent in the midgame. Lots of aggressive beaters, then close out with a Chandra, Pyromaster behind a meatwall that can't be attacked into for fear of lacking blockers. Goblin Bombardment. Past in Flames, all my burn spells at you. Thundermaw Hellkite while you're tapped out. And that's just a few mono-R options!

So, closing remarks:
1) I don't think archetypes can be clearly separated in most cubes, and most decks in a healthy environment will be anchored in one category but flexible enough to dabble in a second
2) Decks are better defined by their game plan than simply aggro/midrange/control/combo
3) Draft is not Constructed; Constructed supports these clear, simple-to-see archetypes best because in Constructed, like Card Draw, Consistency Is King. That restraint is not placed upon cube drafters, who will always be on equal ground with each other in their inability to build completely consistent-to-archetype decks. This is part of the appeal of draft formats.
4) I didn't proofread this because I'm enjoying the tail-end of a 5-day weekend so good luck making sense of this #sorryboutit

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
This is interesting. So just to make sure I understand you, are you saying that cube drafting is one of those "higher powered environments" where the combat step is less important?

Combat tricks rarely work their way into constructed, in large part because they are inherently situational. They have to be applied in a setting where there are attackers and blockers, where a mid-combat spell can trump the opponent somehow. Compare this to an unconditional Swords to Plowshares effect. By allowing the opponent to block (rather than destroying the blocker outright before combat) we often sacrifice damage. This doesn't even address the need to remove creatures that are neither attacking or blocking.

Most combat tricks aren't strong enough to account for how situational they are. Even something with a strong upside, like Snakeform, falls short a large portion of the time.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
I always tell people, as an initial step to designing a cube, to lay out the ten guilds and brainstorm a theme and subordinate theme for each of them.

I'm going to be honest, I kind of hate this idea. There are so many cube threads that start out with a list of what they want each guild to do, but, it feels kind of heavy handed. Whenever I implement an archetype, I want it to spread into as many colors as possible, usually with some sort of primary color.

Sacrifice decks - base black
Top of library - base blue
Humans - base white
(misguided) Lifegain - base white

Or to go from Eldrazi domain..
Elementals - multicolor
Morbid - base black (jund support)
+1/+1 counter aggro and proliferate - base red
Domain - base blue
ramp - base green
Anthem - white (designed to be combined with Jund tokens, double-strikers, +1/+1 counters)

Overlap, intersection, modularity. I don't want GB to be a graveyard deck in a cube that doesn't support graveyard as a major mechanic. It limits the way the cards can be combined. Maybe it's been too long since I've built a "first cube". I want everything to interlock, to be spread across colors, to allow the player to mix and match. I've never thought of an archetype as a two-color thing. I don't want a stilted RTR type of environment.

I've seen this idea a lot over the years and it's always rubbed me the wrong way.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Thats the method I used when I did the first draft of the innistrad theme cube, and have since moved away from it. The problems I ran into was that because I wasn't thinking in terms of color pairs, certain pairs would become neglected. In addition, because I was trying to spread mechanics around the cube, I would end up with these mechanically isolated cards. The end result were these really foundational issues with color balance, that were (and still are) a pain to correct. This is because I wasn't really outlining the cube, I was just jumping straight to construction, which was a mistake. From your own list I think fate stitcher and diregraf ghoul are good examples of that.

I think though it should be remembered is that these are just initial exercises designed to front load some of the design, as a means to avoid having to untangle parts of the cube later. If you look at the penny cube, most of my initial 10 themes didn't make it to the final cube, but it was still an important process for me to go through, as it helped clarify my initial design.

If you write g/b graveyard down on a piece of paper, and can't think of anything concrete as to how that deck will work, than maybe it needs to be crossed off the list. Usually when you ask people to do this, they will have 2-3 very concrete guild themes in mind, and the entire rest of the cube will be some nebulous concoction of "err u/x control, g/x midrange". Thats an issue they will have to face eventually, might as well do it now.

The fact that some people will list unworkable themes I don't think is a condemnation of the method. The method is supposed to make people think critically about their design and think in less vague terms. Exposing those types of flaws is exactly what it is supposed to be doing.

For example, In the alt. Model, the guy just ends up spreading unworkable graveyard themes throughout the entirity of the cube, and ends up wondering what happened after the fact. Thats what I want to avoid.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I can see it's value as kind of a "first step" in thinking about what you want for your design. A first draft before dozens of revisions set in.

Many of my archetype design (personally) comes from finding a cool "build-around" and stuffing the cube with as many non-narrow interaction cards that I can find. Cards like Brainstorm, Gravecrawler, Birthing Pod, Champion of the Parish. I actually learned a lot about design from the life-gain archetype, and I plan to write sometime about its shortcomings.

Cliff notes being:
Most cards you fill your cube with should be either:
- solid individual cards that benefit from synergy OR
- weaker cards that have a high prevalence of synergy within the environment.

Look at this loser.

He sucks without synergy. Nobody wants a vanilla 2/2 beater. To make him good we really had to pack the cube with lifegain. BUT! Imagine a world where Pridemate was good on his own (e.g. Gravecrawler is a 2/1 for {B} ), but got better with synergy. Then people could draft Pridemate just because they want a beater, and sprinkle in some (subtheme ammounts of) lifegain. Pridemate as a base 3/1 that grows!

In our paper drafts Lifegain was strong. I once had a 14/14 and a 16/16 pridemate on the table. But this means I got 14 lifegain triggers! Holy shit. I should not have had to stuff the list with so much lifegain to encourage people to draft a vanilla bear.

I still like the archetype in the abstract, but something was always just a bit "off". The power was in the wrong place. SOOOOOO much of design is about having the power of your set be in the "right" places, and it just wasn't possible here. Pridemate works in two environments:
1) limited, where a 2/2 for 2 isn't embarassing
2) constructed, where you can jam your deck full of useless 1/1s for 1 that grow your bearcat.

Cube is neither of those. The decks "worked", but my list was worse for the wear.

I'm really afraid of the same thing happening with Champion of the Parish, but, have some optimism because my list naturally has 50 humans.

Cliff notes being:
Most cards you fill your cube with should be either:
- solid individual cards that benefit from synergy OR
- weaker cards that have a high prevalence of synergy within the environment.

What do you think about adding a third to that list?
-narrow cards that are insane in a specific deck (build-arounds).

You don't want very many narrow cards as it goes against the idea of synergy, but having a few can help bring decks together and encourage guys to draft an archetype.

Hardened Scales is a pretty extreme example, but I'll use it to illustrate. It's completely useless outside the +1/+1 counter deck, but in that deck it's crazy good (easily the best thing you can have in your opening hand in my experience). Cards like this walk a fine line I think (poisony in nature) but with enough support they start looking first pickable.

I'm uncomfortable with it, but I'm very likely in the minority on that. IMO, the faster the game is, the fewer decisions there are in game and the more important decisions you make before the game become versus actually playing the game (drafting, building your deck, taking mulligans, side boarding, etc.). Nothing wrong with that (constructed magic has always operated this way). Some really enjoy those aspects of the game. I'm not one of those people. I prefer deeper in game decisions, and you get more of that with a slower (more homogenized) meta.

I think this is a very interesting thing to consider, i.e. in-game versus out of game decisions. I think it is very important to consider both. However, I think it is important to remember that just because someone can draft and build a deck that CAN win on turn 4, does not mean someone always will. And even if someone does, it is not like every drafter will. I think you are hoping/designing to have a variety of decks drafted each time. So maybe one or two decks are early game decks and will face off against more mid-game or late games decks. Moreover, just because the early-game deck wants to/can win the game by turn four, doesn't mean the mid/late-game decks will let it. That is exactly the point, imo. If no decks can win by turn 4, then it makes constructing decks more one dimensional. I like the idea that if you are playing some late game deck that wants to stabilize and introduce its inevitability, it has to FIGHT to do so. It has to know "if I don't include enough control/removal/what have you, i'll lose before I can do anything." The PLAN for the early game deck is to try to win by turn 4. But, as Mike Tyson once said, "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." The mid/late-game decks are going to try to stop it. That is what makes it interesting.

I would almost counter argue that in an effort to restrict a fast-paced/aggressive early game, you are reducing the number of decisions people make because the early turns are filled land-drop-go turns.

There are consequences to slowing the game down, especially in a high power format like cube. I wouldn't call it boring though, just different. IMO, you have to cull the top end so that control decks can't just run away with the game after turn 4. Modern finishers function as both a stabilizing effect as well as a win condition. Finishers back in the day generally just did one or the other so getting to 6 mana wasn't quite the death sentence for aggressive decks as it is today.

The real beauty of cube is all these options you have. You are literally building your own block format, and there are many many ways you can do it.

Yes this is a good point. I definitely think of building a cube as building your own block the way WoTC does. And I know one of the considerations that is made in the formats is how quickly decks should be able to win. I do not think it is a pointless discussion to try to assess the speed of the "block" you are creating and have an idea of how long games should last and sound a floor on the quickest a game should last. I know for standard, turn 4 is what WoTC aims for as a floor.

The kinds of cards I like in cube are generally playable to start with but have a play angle or deckbuilding caveat that lets them do fun and interesting things. The phrasing I've settled on for it has been 'broadly [good] but narrowly [spectacular]' which is a difficult band to lock down, but my end goal is to give synergistic decks a sort of gestalt power they can tap into that lets them defeat midrange piles. Implementing 'disaster turn' combo like Tragic Arrogance or Show and Tell really helps to give focused decks reach against unfocused ones, and so does an environment that lets decks switch between roles on the metagame clock (i.e. a combo-control deck might go for early combo against fast aggro rather than delay and sculpt a stronger hand, or midrange's flexible and beefy attackers/blockers).

I think that at a 360 list, without dedicated archetypal planning narrow cards like Hardened Scales don't pull their weight. I'd totally first-pick it in the PlaidMagic counters-matter cube, but even with some support I wouldn't be happy to have it in my environment long-term. Space is just at too much of a premium to hold onto cards that "only go in one deck" (and don't contribute novel lines of play).

I also find it helpful to look at where your existing themes intersect and which unimplemented themes want uncontested draft resources; if you have a sacrifice theme centred in Jund, a graveyard theme in Sultai, and a 'tricky aggro' theme centred in Bant, even if you're cubing {G} sacrifice- or graveyard-related combat tricks (which are...?) you don't really have anything going on in {G}{R} or {G}{W}. That's 40% of green decks you're stifling! Even just a couple of cards that fit across your larger themes can go a long way towards encouraging deck diversity, which perhaps surprisingly is the real benefactor of competing archetypal decks.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I liked this topic and I wrote about it. Some people have already commented on some of the same stuff it says already. Hopefully you don't mind reading it again. Maybe this is an article in the making, but I'm sure it needs (lots ) of editing.

Archetypical Thinking

It should go without saying that the purpose of a cube is to produce decks for playing games of Magic, but sometimes I wonder if people lose sight of that. Cards in Magic exist in relationship to other cards, but it is impossible to compare each of the potential decks that a cube can produce against the each of the other decks a cube can. As such, it is very tempting to look at easier to analyze metrics to decide whether a card is worth including, such as its abstract power level. While this analysis has some value for developing and focusing a cube, it is largely of secondary importance.

In order to compromise between the impossible task of comparing all possible decks and focusing on easier to see, but ultimately secondary factors, most designers organize the possible decks their cube can produce into a manageable number of categories bound by strategic similarities. These archetypes can be organized in a number of different ways, but possibly the most useful one looks for similarities in when, how and by what means deck tries to win.

People have been organizing Magic decks in this way for a long time. The most common purpose of these analyses was to group decks together for the purpose of defining which decks have the advantage against which other decks. An early article on the Dojo proposed five archetypes in constructed Magic: Beatdown, (disryptive)Aggro, Combo, Board Control, and Pure Control (excuse me if the terms are wrong, I’m working from memory of something written for Urza-Block constructed). Another model posed the aggro deck, the 2 for 1 deck, the counterspell deck, and the big spell deck. A common one is the aggro, midrange and control Roshambo. The important thing to know about all of these systems is that all of them are useful and none of them tell the whole story. They are tools to help you figure things out. However, if you take any of them too close to heart, you run the risk of having them become design constricting and self-fulfilling prophecy.
Take the Roshambo model. It makes a lot of sense. Fast decks beat slow decks before they can play the game, but slightly slower decks beat slightly faster decks because they play better cards. Now, if you take this to heart, you can certainly build your cube along three archetypes, where players can build a deck along this single axis. Every deck will have a deck it can beat and a deck that can beat it. This is the designers dream right?

I suppose if spending tons of design hours and money on cards to play rock/paper/scissors is your dream, then this is it, because that’s basically what you are aiming to create here. Of course not all games will play out in such a deterministic fashion thanks to the healthy amount of variance created by shuffling and drawing cards, but when you embrace this as your balance metric you are actively attempting to create a game with the depth of rock/paper/scissors. Under this conceit, if a slow deck has the advantage against a fast deck, there is a flaw in the design of the system. To me, this seems extremely uninteresting. With all the cards and the interesting actions they create, having them amount to a one dimensional system based on one factor of those cards in game purpose is wasteful. Why play a game as complicated as Magic to create something so simple?

So, at this point there are two competing points: there is some level of truth to the Roshambo model and that designing a cube based on that as a balance point is highly undesirable. The key to reconciling these points lies in the complexity of the game of Magic. Cards in Magic do specific things and interact with each other in specific ways. These specific interactions can override the general rules for the relationships between decks based on their general characteristics. While it might be true that in the absence of other factors, fast decks beat slow decks, there is never an absence of other factors because games are played with specific cards. Because cube design allows for complete control of the cards in the format, much can be done ensure that the format does not devolve into Rock/Paper/Scissors.

The prevalence of the Roshambo model in cube design is hard to miss, but the reasons for it make sense. With its focus on power level analysis, cubes often defer to the best in class of each type of effect. With everything turned up to 11, role flexibility is drowned out by sheer efficiency. Decks can’t tune themselves very far because the tools that they use exist in as the superlative of their singular function. When a deck can be filled to the brim with nothing but cards that are exemplars of the specific archetype, those extreme decks will almost certainly become the best decks in the format because they are so focused. So, of course the Roshambo happens because it was designed specifically to happen. When you push design in a direction where you only run the aggroiest aggro cards, the controliest control cards and the midrangiest midrange cards, those cards are going to congeal into three basic decks that exist to counter each other.

That doesn't make this division inevitable, because again, specific cards interact specifically. If one opens up the power level band to allow for a real toolbox of design choices and takes a step back from hierarchical archetype balance, there is really a lot of space to create more complex relationships between cube decks. The speed at which a deck wins the game is not the only relevant concern in balance. Decks also win the game by different means and they may directly interfere with each other, all of which can be utilized through card selection to adjust the matchups in a cube.

One need only look at the history of both limited and constructed formats to find countless examples where favorable matchups are the reverse of what one would predict based on general theory. Archetypes , particularly those attempting to pick favorable matchups, are of limited is use in the area of environment design because the design of the environment decides which archetypes are in it, not vice versa and and even if it is not intential..

Still, it is too daunting to attempt to consider every possible deck and matchup into decisions about card selection, so simplifying the thought process by grouping these decks into archetypes is critical. The tricky part deciding where to group those decks in a manner that makes the most sense. Circular groups don't work well because they end in linear matchups. The archetypes utilized should be able to be paired with each other archetype and be flexible enough to allow either side to have the advantage depending on which tools the deck decides to utilize. Granted some archetypes will have consistent weaknesses against others due to the way key cards or concepts intersect and that is fine. It's not desirable, but if you are striving for variety its inevitable. The key is to avoid it where ever possible. The drama of the matchup should be about the unique composition of each deck and how it pairs up with the opponent's deck. Part of why I love Westchester Draft is because since each player knows exactly what everyone else is drafting, they can attempt to make subtle adjustments to push themselves to the best possible position. In a Rashambo model, the best you can do is to try to be rock when four opponents are playing scissors.

So, what exactly should archetypes be based on? The ways in which a deck interferes with others is important, but it is much too vague as it gives no idea by itself what the deck does. This interaction is very important of course, because this is what changes Magic from a solitaire race to a game where you actually have an opponent. How a deck interacts with others is something that a deck can tune, but it gives no real insight into how other decks will match up against it because it tells us nothing of what the decks actual function is. The means by which a deck wins is probably the best place to look for this, as winning the game is the goal a deck is striving for. If a deck isn't made to win the game, it is irrelevant for the purposes of balancing it into the environment, so we can freely ignore that case.

The means by which a deck wins the game is really the fundamental basis of the deck. The end of the game is the end of the conversation. A deck has to win before the opponent wins, either by simply reaching its win condition faster or interfering with its opponent’s ability to win the game. In Magic, interfering need not be directly through "take that" mechanics, because most Magic cards have multiple purposes this can also be done indirectly. Blocking with a creature, for example, interferes with the opponent’s ability to win the game, but usually a creature isn't included in a deck for the expressed purpose of blocking. These incidental interactions are usually where favorable and unfavorable matchups are determined, though speed is still a factor, most often when two decks have the same means of winning. In these cases, both players cards are of similar function, so most of the interaction is extremely straight forward and the player with the better, but slightly slower, cards will win unless one players cards are faster to such a significant extent that they are able to win before the opponent can deploy their card quality. The Roshambo model comes into play in these cases when decks are very similar just like they do when decks are defined by extremes and the deckmaking interest comes from attempting to build the same archetype in a slightly slower version then the opponent (or trying to build the fastest version possible and hope the opponent gets stuck with the slow cards).

When defining these archetypes, care must be taken to dig deep enough to really understand how the deck wins. Most decks win by hitting people with creatures, but clearly hitting people with creatures isn't an archetype. How the creatures are amassed, why the creatures can hit the opponent in spite of their resistance and why your creatures will kill the opponent before their creatures kill you are in combination how the deck wins. Some means are relatively firmly tied to a timeframe for winning the game, others are much less so. Often times archetype will be linked with a particular mechanic that the deck utilizes to gain an advantage, but that mechanic can be utilized in a number of different ways that creates a large variety of decks that come from it. The key takeaway is the important implication that comes from this: how the deck fails to win. Having decks able to make each other interfere with each other in interesting ways is possibly the most important thing for the designer of a cube to do, because this is what separates Magic from two people playing solitaire. Once we know how decks fail to win, we can includes tools archetypes can use to ensure this happens, hopefully without resorting to blunt "take that" style mechanics. If players fail to interfere with each other or only do so in rote or superficial fashion, there isn't much of a game going on and as with the Roshambo model, you are probably better off playing a different game if that's what you want to do.

Creating the web of interesting interactions is complex. Once you get through the more mundane basics of designing a cube, it is basically the entirety of the process. As such, it is impossible to simply write an article telling someone how to do it, but there is definitely some general advice.

Make sure everyone can play in every phase of the game: Overspecializing decks and defining their cards by costs is going to reduce interactivity in games. Regardless of what a deck is trying to accomplish, it should be able to do something on almost any turn. Due to the way mana works, this means your mana curve needs to be low. Even if you think your mana curve is low, your cube would probably improve by making it lower. The only turns guaranteed to be played in a game are the early ones and these are the turns where you have a full hand of cards that should give you plenty of options, but you can only have plenty of options if they are in your cube to be drafted. Particularly since many low cost cards are going to be redundant in function, having a wealth of options available at mana costs 1 to 3 is vital for allowing a variety of decks to function. This is important for basically every type of deck. Some decks use early turns to play threats, some use them to assemble synergy and some just attempt to stall through them so they can deploy more powerful cards later. Players need the resources to do these different things as well a multiple avenues for doing so or else archetypes will be inflexible and there matches will become circular because there is no way to adjust them.

A similar, but more subtle extension of this is giving every deck things to do on later turns. The goal here is not to force players out of aggressive decks, but rather to give tools to all decks, including aggressive ones to compete in a longer game. By controlling the power level of cards, the all-in aggro deck is not invalidated, but the need to play all-in aggro in order to fill a role in the Roshambo is gone. Decks can hedge alternate plans that give them play against a variety of decks while still supporting their main tactical angle. Utility land drafts are an amazing tool for getting long term plan cards to early game decks and I cannot recommend the concept enough.

Play cards that cross borders: Try to find cards that play roles in different archetypes and include as many of them as you can. You will find that cards can help multiple archetypes in extremely different ways. The simplest example is how red burn provides an aggressive deck with late game reach, but it provides a controlling deck with early game defense. Cards that fill this category sometimes have explicit multiple functions, like charm cards, but often it is much more subtle then that. This take a lot of experimentation, but the best way to find these things is simply to constantly try new cards and see what decks they find their way into. As smart as you think you are, you are no match for the combined creative force of a group of people playing your cube. Just throw things in and see what happens. You will be surprised.

Avoid cards that destroy distinctions: While having individual cards that cross archetypes is important, archetypes should still be strategically distinct. Care should be taken to avoid cards that destroy these distinctions. The cube designer makes a promise to a player, in a way, when they support an archetype. You do not want to break that promise. Consider in a Roshambo balanced cube, a player drafts Red/Green Zoo. They take the Goblin Guide, the Kird Ape, the Chain Lightning, the Flinthoof Boar and all of the other tools that go with that. The Roshambo Cube makes the player a promise: You are the fast deck and will have an advantage against the control deck. You will be the beatdown. So, after shuffling up, they start playing and their control opponent plays tinker on turn 2 of a mox or sol ring and brings out Sphinx of the Steel Wind. The promise is completely shattered and they feel like an idiot for believing it. The game is a shit game that wasn't even worth playing.

Situations like this need to be avoided because they create a sense of futility in the drafting process. Players gravitate towards an archetype with an expectation for a certain kind of gameplay. Cards should improve the quality of gameplay by adding decisions and choices, not remove the need for either. If an archetype is supposed to fulfill some niche in your cube make sure that you don't include cards that do the same thing, but better, that are usable by another archetype.
Your aim as a designer is to able to look at what each archetype does and ask, "What does this other archetype do against it?" If the answer is "lose" or "pray to topdeck a specific card", there is work to be done with regard to how those archetypes relate, because neither of those are qualities of fulfilling games.

The main culprit in this area are cards that provide mana or avoid mana costs, because mana costs are the key control in the game for deciding the timing of effects. The timing of when effects come down is critical to cube design. Changing the timing of powerful effects requires the entire environment to adjust to it. Entire archetypes can cease to function when effects become available turns earlier.

After going through these generalities, the specifics aspects of individual archetypes and how they relate come in. Carefully tinkering your selections will make your matchups more intricate and interesting. But the decisions will be tricky. You will make mistakes. There will be some non-games. You will laugh at yourself. However, your cube will get better and as you actively pursue these improvements, you will have more and more fun cubing, because you will be playing fewer games of solitaire and rock/paper/scissors and more games of Magic.

Grillo_Parlante

Contributor
Yeah, I can see it's value as kind of a "first step" in thinking about what you want for your design. A first draft before dozens of revisions set in.

Many of my archetype design (personally) comes from finding a cool "build-around" and stuffing the cube with as many non-narrow interaction cards that I can find. Cards like Brainstorm, Gravecrawler, Birthing Pod, Champion of the Parish

Yeah, to be fair, the design model I settled on eventually is pretty anti-build around. I don't know if one is better than the other, in the end they are probably just different. Basically we have the same problem of "how do I get people to draft focused decks" and your approach uses singleton breaking on build arounds. I don't really like build arounds, and prefer having card conditionality encourage meta decking, which results in deck focus.

The problem I always had with build arounds was people either would use the build around wrong (gravecrawler) or not be interested in the build around (birthing pod). Than the whole system would fall apart.

That is exactly the point, imo. If no decks can win by turn 4, then it makes constructing decks more one dimensional.

I would almost counter argue that in an effort to restrict a fast-paced/aggressive early game, you are reducing the number of decisions people make because the early turns are filled land-drop-go turns.

That's fair. And while I want my control decks being less dominant late game and my aggro decks less dominant early game, I do want people to be punished for not doing anything with their early turns. Ideal scenario for me is a meta where control cannot win against anything if they do nothing for 3 turns and then start casting dragons. By the same token, I don't want people assembling super fast constructed level style aggro decks that can routinely goldfish lethal on T4. I'm fine with the golden draw scenario that plays out like a dream, but it should be the exception IMO.

The problem with that level of efficiency is it creates the "removal check" problem. Either you have or draw an answer or you just lose. It's a hard thing to balance. I just don't want the game to feel like it was won based on the luck of the draw. The best games of Magic to me are the ones you win or lose because of the decisions you made in the game.

If I look back at a loss and see how I could have made better decisions and maybe won, I'm very very satisfied with that. It's just as good as winning to me. If I look back and there was literally no card I could have played or decision I could have changed that would have altered the outcome (and my deck isn't garbage), that makes me feel like I could be doing a better job balancing my meta. I'll never get to a place where that second scenario doesn't ever happen - and that's cool (some luck in this game is desirable) - I just want to work towards minimizing it. And I feel like slowing the meta down helps with that (and by "slowing down" I really mean homogenizing aggro/midrange/control).

This is all an exceedingly difficult thing to do. I don't get to play Magic as much as I would need to in order to have sufficient data to really balance my meta. Wizard's has full time employees that do nothing but work on this all day and they can't do it half the time (that's how hard it is). But it's the part of cube design I enjoy the most actually despite how unrealistic the goal is.

The problem I always had with build arounds was people either would use the build around wrong (gravecrawler) or not be interested in the build around (birthing pod). Than the whole system would fall apart.

I think it's a function of a couple of things here though; Birthing Pod is one of the decks new drafters of my Cube often fall into (a guy test drafted it on CT and built Cataclysm Pod! <3) and they're typically pretty stoked about the deck. I think the card is just less interesting in slower or less-powerful environments. I like build-arounds because they can sculpt an implicit meta of early board states and oblique ways to use resources for a gestalt effect.