Card/Deck Black 2 drops

a glance through gatherer
augur of skulls is decent in my friend's peasant cube
apprentice necromancer is pretty sweet in edh/casual, ive never seen it in constructed or cube but maybe it can do things? also zombie
mesmeric fiend
nightscape familiar some folks on here have been saying pleasant things about this guy ive never tried playing with him
pack rat there are some cubes where this card can not just be game ruining bullshit. idk if yours is such an environment or not
skirsdag high priest some people love this guy, i havent tried him in cube though

bad choices imo that ive seen thrown into cubes:
black knight variants
gatekeeper of malakir gets put in a lot of cubes but the dude is so hard to cast, also hes not even a zombie also hes really a 3 drop
gloom surgeon lol
nezumi graverobber is either almost a vanilla creature absolutely bonkers, theres no middle ground with this guy. i dont like cards like that

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Game ruining bullshit.

Eh... I kind of usually only want one Blood Artist even in a heavy sacrifice deck. I run Prowler already, and like it. What about that Undying Zombie? Is he the worst? Butcher Ghoul, is it?

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Yeah he seems terrible.

My version, for reference:

Dauntless Corpse {1}{B}
Creature - Zombie Warrior
Undying
~ Enters the battlefield tapped.
When ~ enters the battlefield, you may sacrifice it. (Alternately Evoke {1}{B} )
2/1

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Then when he comes back from the yard you can unleash him, making him a 4/3.
That was definitely the original templating, but no way am I printing a 4 power 2 drop with the only drawback being "has to die first"

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I can but you'll never wanna unleash him the first time :p
Like say he's a 1/1 for B1 or something
He's either Rakdos cackler meets dregscape zombie, or he's a 1/1, then a 3/3, then a 2/2.
If he's ever an on curve creature, the numbers get too big for his "coming back" mode.

You're right though, now that I think about it most of my black 2 drops are custom:
Bitterblossom
Blood Artist
Bloodghast
Bloodghast
Bumbling Famaliar (Custom)
Dark Confidant
Dauntless Corpse (Custom)
Pack Rat
Strongarm Enforcer (Custom)
Rotting Rats
Squeaking Pie Sneak (Erratta)
Oona's Prowler

And I don't really have a good reason for Oona's Prowler to be in there other than it's not a horrible card.

CML

Contributor
Skirsdag High Priest is indispensable in the Wadds al'Kaabah IMO
Oona's Prowler discards shit because Reanimator is fun damnit
Thrill-Kill is worth a try
Gloom Surgeon is the suggestion here i get most excited about, it's a good card
I would put Augur of Skulls in and on probation
the CubeTutor average 720 has the surprisingly good suggestions of nantuko shade and nezumi graverobber, i guess withered wretch is also possible if unexciting

I would not try Butcher Ghoul or Apprentice Necromancer
having tried them, I would really not try Mesmeric Fiend and Nightscape Familiar

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
A couple of unmentioned cards that are not completely awful, but probably completely inappropriate for your cube:

Long story short, 2 mana black creatures is one of the worst slots in cube.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
A couple of unmentioned cards that are not completely awful, but probably completely inappropriate for your cube:

Long story short, 2 mana black creatures is one of the worst slots in cube.
Anybody have any good design arguments for doubling up on a specific two-drop? Ideally it'd be something non-mana intensive that control decks might also want.

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I could see benefit to running 2 rotting rats, 2 confidants, 2 reassembling skeletons or 2 Dauthi Horrors, but these are all mana intensive or things that no control deck would want.

CML

Contributor
Anybody have any good design arguments for doubling up on a specific two-drop? Ideally it'd be something non-mana intensive that control decks might also want.

83.jpg
83.jpg

if you invite two CMLs to cube

3.jpg
3.jpg