Card/Deck Black 2 drops

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Bloodghast Control card:

Black Fog, <cost>
Sacrifice a creature: untap target attacking creature and remove it from combat. It deals no combat damage.

CML

Contributor
hehe, i too was surprised that the poxier of control decks have had some success running ol' Ada as a resilient win condition. just when you think she's gone, she comes back to beat for 2

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Skirsdag High Priest is indispensable in the Wadds al'Kaabah IMO
Oona's Prowler discards shit because Reanimator is fun damnit
Thrill-Kill is worth a try
Gloom Surgeon is the suggestion here i get most excited about, it's a good card
I would put Augur of Skulls in and on probation
the CubeTutor average 720 has the surprisingly good suggestions of nantuko shade and nezumi graverobber, i guess withered wretch is also possible if unexciting
I would not try Butcher Ghoul or Apprentice Necromancer
having tried them, I would really not try Mesmeric Fiend and Nightscape Familiar

• Auger is okay, but he is more a sorcery then he looks. Also: Drudge Skeletons is not a desireable card to emulate :(
  • High Priest looks interesting, I'm gonna try it. 3 dudes is a lot though.
  • Gloom surgeon is a 2/Infinite. Even if it is good, it doesn't seem interesting.
  • I like the idea of thrill kill assassin
  • Nantuko Shade might be better in the devotion based world. Mans is big.
  • Graverobber is okay, he was mostly a 4/2 for B1 with echo, which is probably good. Nighteyes' ability has been activated once in my cube, and it was to bring back the creature sacrificed to recurring nightmare.
  • Withered Wrech looks a little sad, since he's horrible against non-graveyard strategies.
Man, if mesmeric fiend was a 2/1...

Nether Traitor has been in my on-deck binder for ages, maybe I should slot him in.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
hehe, i too was surprised that the poxier of control decks have had some success running ol' Ada as a resilient win condition. just when you think she's gone, she comes back to beat for 2

I don't even know if you believe this statement.

I've often bothered your pal eric to double his Bobs. In modern he's really not the king, and modern is much more of a format ruled by cheap tricks than most peoples cubes (no not yours Jason but lets speak to most people's experience) modern cube has less of a fatty cheating or I'm excited to play this 4 drop bent to it than other cubes (in my experience). So what I'm saying is, the environment is kinda right for bob in modern cube and he's still sometimes a 10th pick or a very very fair card.

Eric's cube is also doing a human thing and black has suddenly become a real colour you want to pair more often with stuff like Xathrid and sac support. Bob just seems like such a cool card, and I love it when black's pain is justly rewarded and Bob does it. I'm also just really into cards that give non blue colours more access to their deck / more interested in manipulating it.

CML

Contributor
draw extra cards?! i would prefer not to. loss of life, though? ...

edit: with kings and counselors

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
So I've been watching a lot of Standard lately, and am wondering if Pack Rat does anything in cube. I had it in for a couple drafts a year ago, and it was.. kinda worthless. Anybody here have much experience with it, either good or bad?

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
I can't see pack rat being a very interesting cube card. I mean, it may well be very good, but is it really something you want?

We use Pack Rat and like it quite a bit. It's never as degenerate as it was in RTR limited, and poses some interesting choices regarding when to push and go all in with it. Also, enables graveyard shenanigans while being a solid card - kinda like Oona's Prowler in that regard. Also, goes in all kinds of decks; is good for early pressure, and still isn't something you hate drawing when you have lots of mana.