break-the-rules cube

Me and a friend of mine are working on a mostly custom cube. currently 400 cards, typical 15 card packs and everything.
https://www.mediafire.com/?8h9np7m2ou2h5l0 MSE file
http://s918.photobucket.com/user/anotak/library/turbocubeB card image gallery
If you don't want a magic set editor file the whole set is here http://pastebin.com/jRG5hL2k with no formatting or anything.

The initial idea was roughly "Modern Masters draft with all the archetypes without the problem of the archetypes being too insular, we should find ways to connect them somehow. Put all the themes but have them actually work and have players competing for cards. Break the rules about singleton or custom cards or anything."
We sat down and started brainstorming ideas and archetypes a little over a month ago.
We came up with a huge list and wrote a ton of them out in a diagram drawing lines to see how we could connect them. We ended up with this MMA/TSP/LRW/EVE inspired monstrosity. We tried to implement a lot of riptidelab ideas as well as our own. The majority of the cards are changed existing cards rather than completely custom. We wanted to make cards like astral slide and master transmuter actually work in the same environment side-by-side while also promoting fun, interactive, and skill-testing games. So we helped them along a little. This isn't meant to be an entirely "custom card cube" but more of a "tweaked card cube", where cards are designed for this cube without having to appeal to their balance/gameplay in constructed/edh/traditional limited. If you've seen me on these forums recently asking weird "what if" questions, it was most likely for this project, and thank you very much for helping us.

We wanted aggro, midrange, and control of every color (or at least splashing every color).

notes
- all split cards have fuse just for the sake of consistency.
- special rarity is used for cards that are currently cut. if you sort by set number those are at the end after lands.
- if phyrexian mana is used on a card it might not show up correctly for you because of a different MSE style file. this affects porcelein legionnaire, birthing pod and its friend.
- i am "t" in the comments, "k" is my friend.
- keep in mind this is still WIP

criticism, comments, and ideas are all welcome.

some of the attempted themes in no particular order
spells matter
tribal
domain
cycling
madness
flashback
retrace
dredge
devotion
unearth
multicolor
color matters/hybrid
blink
counters
artifacts
storm
sacrifice
delver
pod
i'm probably forgetting a theme or two.

creature types for tribal are tied to wedges and shards to help guide the design process
bant spirit monk
esper merfolk wizard
grixis zombie rogue
naya cat warrior
jund minotaur shaman

wbr angel rebel
rug elemental scout
junk elf cleric
america human soldier
bug faerie mutant

artifacts/manlands = golems

if for some reason you feel more inclined to download 16mb of card images rather than an mse file here you go

edit: this is just out of date ignore this

pastebin in the first link

again keep in mind phyrexian mana is just acting weird w/ birthing pod and porcelain

added some counterspells because we were lacking. also minor changes because ive been doing some testing

Seems like a cool idea, but I don't think I'm really able to evaluate what you are doing. Love what you did with Haakon though.

updated, need to cut cards at this point

Seems like a cool idea, but I don't think I'm really able to evaluate what you are doing. Love what you did with Haakon though.
thanks! I fiddled with him some more to care about his current creature types.

no kinkos locally. lists w/ card pictures i guess incoming

custom card cube 8person #1 won by carrion feeder + gravecrawler + blood artist deck

edit: you have no idea how happy i am to see this function

edit edit: dumb question does anyone know any good image hosts that let you upload 400 images (imgur wants me to pay past 200)

edit x3 : trying photobucket i guess

yeah i'm trying to think of a good way to automate getting the photobucket url from a list so i can post these lists properly

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Okay I have't looked through all of those cards, but I think it might be worth considering cutting down on the custom-ness of this cube to reduce the burden on your drafters.

Assuming I'm reading it right, Mox Crystal is Mox Diamond, but it ETB tapped? Firecat Welder is goblin welder but with a different creature type? Shrapnel Volley is mini shrapnel Blast? Undead Gargadon is Greater Gargadon but with relavant creature types? Kragma Ironworks is Tribal KCI? Epoch Golem is epochrasite under another creature type?

I like the idea, but this would be a lot more draftable and a lot more grokable if you took the hit to synergy and power level and eased up on the number of custom cards.

Maybe it's just me, but mox diamond doesn't really need erratta to me :p

I do like Ideas // Embers though. Of all the fuse ideas, that one seems like the one I'd like the most. Not so sure on hybrid ideas unbound, but maybe I'm wrong.

Eric Chan

Hyalopterous Lemure
Staff member
I'm kinda with Chris on this one. A lot of these custom cards look sweet, but some of the very minor errata seems like it would just add more mental burden for minimal gain.

Then again, I suppose we don't know anything about anotak's playgroup. If his group is hyper-Spikey and has the mental capacity to process all of these minor factoids, it seems like a pretty cool drafting experience. My playgroup baaaaaaaarely comprehends existing Time Spiral & Future Sight cards as it is, so throwing in custom shit would cause a revolt.

Chris Taylor

Contributor
I feel bad though :( I don't want to discourage custom cards, far from it, but I want to make sure they're in there for the right reasons.

I've definitely had people ask me about custom cards "why isn't this just X?" and I always want to have a good answer for that

I've got a B1 1/1 flying entomb. When people ask "why isn't this entomb?" I say: "Because you can't pod into entomb!"
I've got a 3 mana artifact that has 1,T: Sorcery Cloudshift. When they ask why it isn't crystal shard, I go "Crystal shard is too slow these days and I don't want to limit people to blue"
I'm running a 5 color basic only fetchland, and people ask why it isn't evolving wilds. "Land comes in untapped, so aggro likes it better. For slower decks, evolving wilds is in here too."

Do you have these answers for your cards?

disclaimer: im sick so sorry if my sentences just stop or dont make sense sometimes
Okay I have't looked through all of those cards, but I think it might be worth considering cutting down on the custom-ness of this cube to reduce the burden on your drafters.

Assuming I'm reading it right, Mox Crystal is Mox Diamond, but it ETB tapped? Firecat Welder is goblin welder but with a different creature type? Shrapnel Volley is mini shrapnel Blast? Undead Gargadon is Greater Gargadon but with relavant creature types? Kragma Ironworks is Tribal KCI? Epoch Golem is epochrasite under another creature type?

I like the idea, but this would be a lot more draftable and a lot more grokable if you took the hit to synergy and power level and eased up on the number of custom cards.

Maybe it's just me, but mox diamond doesn't really need erratta to me :p

I do like Ideas // Embers though. Of all the fuse ideas, that one seems like the one I'd like the most. Not so sure on hybrid ideas unbound, but maybe I'm wrong.
the creature types thing seems to be easier to get for people because there's only 21 creature types in the whole cube (1 race/class per 3 color combination + golem for artifacts/manlands).
mox crystal was originally mox diamond but the other cube designer felt it was too powerful for the environment.
shrapnel volley is shard volley + shrapnel blast. the reactions ive gotten to this card are "i wish this existed". the reason this exists is to help support both loam/crucible and artifacts and also just to be a bolt variant
kragma ironworks is also sisay's ring which means it can be drafted for non-synergy reasons
a goal of a lot of the designs being all over the place is so that cards could get drafted in more than one archetype without being super poison principle-y.
re: red ideas unbound
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/pos...ed-card-advantage-is-temporary-does-that-mean
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/65818890523/could-ideas-unbound-be-red-now-i-love-that-cards
the ideas unbound is also to just support looting and madness and various graveyard interactions, the other half is to help a storm deck finish someone off

well, there are some issues, but we had specific goals in mind and we didn't want to go halfway on it. there definitely was some confusion for the first draft but i think once people had a good idea of what's going on and the ideas behind it they've mostly gotten it down. we definitely realize its a lot more complex than a regular set or cube but we tried to tweak it not just to our drafter's understanding level but also their interests, which helps. i sort of get that this cube isn't really something that is playable or appreciable by the "average magic player" but... i know the roughly 10 people that are willing to draft with me, i know the things they like. why not design for them specifically?

Do you have these answers for your cards?
yes

my codesigner who i still have not convinced to come post here
I think the feedback is definitely a real concern. There are minor details that people just plain miss, but I do feel like it's all in there for a reason. Perhaps we could remove some of the smallest changes, but I don't even know what that entails (Mox Diamond entering tapped has been HUGE in a good way. I definitely think it's in a good spot now.)

Chris Taylor

Contributor
Fair enough. The creature type changing thing might be a little akward at first glance, but if your drafters are fine with it they're fine with it :p

good to hear there's reasons for everything, but I'll the first to admit it's kinda hard to see at first glance.
An interesting read, if anything

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Just a thought, but maybe you guys are pushing too many creature types simultaneously? I'm all for Tribal, but maybe pick a small handful and go with those?

Just a thought, but maybe you guys are pushing too many creature types simultaneously? I'm all for Tribal, but maybe pick a small handful and go with those?
that's certainly possible. it might be better if we had just done 1 race / 1 class per 4 color combo for 10 total instead of 20

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, it just feels like it's hard to see the direction things are going, and it would require less errata. Like, 10 may even be too many. How many did Lorwyn care about? I know Innistrad was just 5.

Lorwyn was treefolk, goblin, elf, giant, kithkin, elemental, merfolk, faerie; warrior, shaman, rogue, wizard, soldier; changeling. I might be missing something?

Way more race types than I was expecting.

E:
MaRo said:
Here's what we ended up with:

Goblins
Elves
Kithkin
Elementals
Merfolk
Faeries
Giants
Treefolk

The five major races (meaning the ones that get the most cards) are the first five, with the last three being "minor" races (although have no fear, they definitely get enough cards to build decks with both in Limited and Constructed).
hahahahaha

Jason, we are taking your suggestion to cut down to less races/classes, process starts now

new
ubrg zombie shaman
brgw minotaur rebel
rgwu spirit soldier
gwub faerie cleric
wubr human wizard
colorless golem
big creatures angel demon or possibly giant
and the occasional god

microsealed deck i posted in the 3-0 thread
nobody showed up for any magic hardly today so instead i played microsealed w/ a friend
this was the strongest deck i played despite not having any real removal other than the altar to tap down their stuff, reveillark for the 2 spirit lords was ridiculous