General (BRO) The Brother's War Testing/Includes Thread

landofMordor

Administrator
omg have you always had the CubeCobra integration, that's smooth as hell and I love it

I'll pass along your compliments to Anthony, who will be very pleased that you enjoy it! :) I think he whipped up that feature a year or so ago, but it was during covid-time so it might as well be yesterday

This is a nice kick in the pants to update my CubeCobra for the new set, and force me to make the cuts I was previously unwilling to. My write-up for the set is in-progress, gotta finish it now!

I'm a bit burned out on Magic thanks to the flood of product and haven't taken a good look at BRO in the context of my cube. Not that my cube sees any play at the moment...

That was me the last 2-3ish months. I didn't play a single game of Magic until BRO prerelease, only loosely kept up with spoilers.

Yeah, this set reminds me of Rise of the Eldrazi in the way where I sit down and have absolutely no idea what my mana curve is supposed to look like. Prototype lets you play giant idiots and still cast them as 2s, 3s, 5s... long story short it's real fun.

Onderzeeboot

Ecstatic Orb
A very preliminary list, since I haven't taken a good look at the entire spoiler, but based on the prerelease I played today and a bunch of games for fun with decks constructed from my sealed pool plus the seven boosters I won...

Due to the discard theme in UB, there's quite a few ways to draw two (and discard one) cards on your turn in my cube. I already cube Faerie Vandal and Jolrael, Mwonvuli Recluse, as well, so these two seem like they would fit right in. Really though, this theme is trying to get me to return to the Grixis roots of my Cube, so I can include the awesome Irencrag Pyromancer and Improbably Alliance :)

Both of these cards were really solid for a number of my opponents. Bonesplitter proves +2/+0 for equip {1} is a sweet deal, and the crown adds card draw for a slight increase in the casting cost. The claw provides a slightly lower boost, but menace is a real keyword, and it's fun with Unearth effects. Speaking of which...

I've seen some of the unearth cards do some nice work, and the Warhammer 40k commander decks added a few interesting ones as well, like Skorpekh Lord and Triarch Praetorian. Might be worth looking into?

Yes, I'll take Tormenting Voice with upside please. Note that this no longer requires you to discard as an additional cost, making it a lot better versus counterspells!

The Cancel variant I never knew I wanted. Excellent in a low curve deck, either stopping a vital spell from resolving, or pushing through damage. From ninja's perhaps...

This one drop is the real deal. Incredible in a stalemate to find additional fodder to push through.

Expensive but versatile Unearth that puts a +1/+1 counter on any creature brought back. Cool insurance spell.

I may have underestimated this guy. Still unsure if it's worth the tempo loss, but it certainly felt good recommissioning this.

I think this card deserves more attention. It could easily be overlooked as it might read as a retail limited sacrifice payoff, but this ugly fellow is so much more. Yes, it grows alongside Carrion Feeder doing it's thing just fine, but it also triggers from:
- Fetchlands, including Evolving Wilds or Prismatic Vista
- Artifact tokens like treasure, food, blood, clues ...
- Creature saccing them self like Steve
- Spellsbombs and baubles, all those little artifacts that sac themselves
- Enchantments too like Sagas or Quests
- Cards that have to be sacced as a side effect of their abilities like unearth creatures

I will definitely test him as an aggressive black 2-drop and I think more people should. Looking at what he synergizes with, people with higher powered cubes too (how many fetches do you run? How many pushed treasure and clue makers?)

I think this card deserves more attention. It could easily be overlooked as it might read as a retail limited sacrifice payoff, but this ugly fellow is so much more. Yes, it grows alongside Carrion Feeder doing it's thing just fine, but it also triggers from:
- Fetchlands, including Evolving Wilds or Prismatic Vista
- Artifact tokens like treasure, food, blood, clues ...
- Creature saccing them self like Steve
- Spellsbombs and baubles, all those little artifacts that sac themselves
- Enchantments too like Sagas or Quests
- Cards that have to be sacced as a side effect of their abilities like unearth creatures

I will definitely test him as an aggressive black 2-drop and I think more people should. Looking at what he synergizes with, people with higher powered cubes too (how many fetches do you run? How many pushed treasure and clue makers?)
good find on this design!
i already have been running this guy as a 1/1 for B for quite a while, and it’s a pretty sick card

Now that we've had some time with this set, has anyone tried bringing Scrapwork Cohort into a not-super-low-powered cube? I'm shocked that it's doing as well as it is in limited and am wondering how big the dropoff in its efficacy is when ported to a somewhat higher-powered environment.

Last edited:
Now that we've had some time with this set, has anyone tried bringing Scrapwork Cohort into a not-super-low-powered cube? I'm shocked that it's doing as well as it is in limited and am wondering how big the dropoff in its efficacy is when ported to a somewhat higher-powered environment.

so the thing about retail limited is that simply making multiple bodies per card is immensely valuable because it overwhelms the opposing removal and can gang up on bigger single bodies that are on the opposing board. this becomes less true at higher power cubing, where most threats can generate card advantage directly and mana advantage is more important. this thing makes FOUR bodies for one card which is intense in retail, but the bodies aren’t impactful and cost a fair bit of mana for their size, which isn’t gonna scale well into standard+ cubes i don’t think.

Agreed with @blacksmithy - it's a cool card for draft, and when it was first spoiled and looked like a 5/3, I thought it'd be an easy include for me, but I don't think 4 power and two toughness for 4 across two bodies is all that interesting, and competes poorly with other commons from recent sets in white, let alone more higher powered options in non rarity restricted cubes.

Thanks for the input! I agree that the artifact, soldier, and powerstone synergies do a lot for the card, but it's still crazy just how much the environment pushes up what is otherwise a mediocre card.