Card/Deck Building/drafting around Tarmogoyf

Dom Harvey

Contributor
It's natural to think about Tarmogoyf as a big dumb animal, but it scales in a fun and exploitable way.

Artifact + Enchantment:

Artifact + Creature:

Enchantment + Creature:

Artifact + Land:

et al.

Tribal + Instant/Sorcery:

Tribal + Enchantment:

FlowerSunRain

Contributor
The thing is, even when you aren't pushing him, a 3/4 for 2 is more then solid and he usually hits that quickly on curve and topdecks bigger then that. I realize you can build around him to make it better, but tarmogoyf doesn't seem to be in need of being better.

Chris Taylor

Contributor

A smattering of tribal cards could make goyph awsome, especially if you add multiples if you want green aggro to look like that

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
The main problem is that no other cards care about the same things that Tarmogoyf cares about. And it's good enough on its own (provided you run a low curve, lots of removal and fetches) that you don't even need to draft around it. I mean, I like your ideas, don't get me wrong.

Man goyfe decks and green tempo decks are really my favourite way to play green. It just feels so good having thought seize and Tarmogoyf in a game. I also just love cards that have minor benefits from a healthy graveyard. Tarmogoyf also reminds me of flash creatures because in the control decks I like flash guys in Tarmogoyf fits in well because he really only costs half a turn most of the time, especially for that body.

It fits with cards like Quirion Dryad that also appreciate cantripping (a spell that is cheap and contributes to both your grave and hand when you cast it) spells and playing more than one card a turn, and are appreciated in a lot of the same sort of decks (Tarmogoyf is usually pretty bad in dumb green little kid decks that just try to jam guys and mana for obvious reasons) and reward players for building a different kind of green deck, though dryad is sorta below the curve right now. I've often flirted with the idea of doubling up on Tarmogoyf in the same way I like the idea of doubling up on remands / snapcasters / pyromancers / compulsive research type effects / witnesses etc.

A lot of cubers might say that's dumb because Tarmogoyf is so meh some of the time and it's not overtly a build around me card and the difference between another goyfe and some other 2 drop is not huge. I like it because it's not a drastic difference, I like the idea of playing in a cube where Tarmogoyf isn't really meh most of the time, it's about as good as it is in modern but it isn't at it's full potential in a ramp / little kid deck. I really like the idea of someone being able to rely on getting a Tarmogoyf or two for their Tarmogoyf + Young Pyromancer deck, their Tarmogoyf+ Thoughtseize style deck or their Tarmogoyf + Boon Satyr + counters + Thirst for Knowledge deck.

It's just not a card that fucks things up at all when you double up on it and it's actively encouraging green decks to branch out a little or for other archetypes to stick their toe into green for something other than elves. But I love graveyards and casting a lot of inexpensive spells in a turn cycle more than most people so you may not agree.

Growing a Goyf is one of those satisfying reasons to play formats like modern. I mean sure, it's probably fun in some cubes but personally it seems like such an overrated beater.

Jason Waddell

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I mean, Goyf has never been bad here so it's hard to relate to that cube experience. I see what you're saying about Quirian Dryad but you also seem to have made that into some sort of a pet card because that card is awful...

Yeah I'm thinking 2 goyfs make the weird green decks waaaaaay more playable than goyf + dryad do. I also think it is a great opportunity to examine light graveyard themes more and your green section. I like playing more than one spell a turn a lot and cards that encourage me to do that and make turns more interesting, especially in the more blatant colours, make me really happy.